S&W M&P Shield 2.0 - Semi-Auto [Handguns] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

S&W M&P Shield 2.0

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 thetalonguy

thetalonguy

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 401 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted October 17 2017 - 08:32 PM

It looks like S&W just released its M&P Shield 2.0 today. Assumed with all the rebates this year that this was coming.

Looks like it's a better trigger and better grip over the regular M&P shield. Seems to have same white dot sights as old version.

For my first pistol, hoping that license comes through any day now, I was looking at the Shield; moreover the Performance Center version. PC version supposedly had better trigger and sights over regular version, but same grips.

Field and Stream also has both the original Shield and PC Shield on sale with $75 in bonus bucks. I've been hoping all week that I get the license email before the deal is over.

Realistically, I'm going to say that the PC 1.0 Shield will be nearly the same price as the 2.0. I would be sort of in the middle of which one to go with barring completely disliking the feel of either or both all together. I guess the ported barrel can be fully debated as well; not that I'm trying to do that now.

Thoughts? Opinions? Or just buy a used Shield and have enough left over for a used sub compact CCW?

https://www.smith-we...al-thumb-safety

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11242 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted October 17 2017 - 11:40 PM

It looks like S&W just released its M&P Shield 2.0 today. Assumed with all the rebates this year that this was coming.
Looks like it's a better trigger and better grip over the regular M&P shield. Seems to have same white dot sights as old version.
For my first pistol, hoping that license comes through any day now, I was looking at the Shield; moreover the Performance Center version. PC version supposedly had better trigger and sights over regular version, but same grips.
Field and Stream also has both the original Shield and PC Shield on sale with $75 in bonus bucks. I've been hoping all week that I get the license email before the deal is over.
Realistically, I'm going to say that the PC 1.0 Shield will be nearly the same price as the 2.0. I would be sort of in the middle of which one to go with barring completely disliking the feel of either or both all together. I guess the ported barrel can be fully debated as well; not that I'm trying to do that now.
Thoughts? Opinions? Or just buy a used Shield and have enough left over for a used sub compact CCW?

No reason to buy used with the rebates. The Performance Center has a better trigger. The ported barrel is a bonus for less felt recoil.

#3 imrich

imrich

Sharp Shooter!

• Donated Member
  • 375 posts
  • LocationWestern Suffolk

Posted October 18 2017 - 01:13 PM

I have the older version in .40cal. I like it very much.

#4 NYPD13

NYPD13

Pistol Expert

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 792 posts
  • LocationBabylon

Posted October 18 2017 - 02:44 PM

Are you only considering a 9mm or 40cal? I've got the 45 Shield at the rebate price. It already has the 2.0 9/40 upgrades. Better trigger, wrap around stippling and those forward slide serrations (kinda useless). Awesome pistol at an awesome price. 

#5 thetalonguy

thetalonguy

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • 401 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted October 18 2017 - 02:58 PM

I've been only considering the 9mm at this point. I want to get a good amount of range shooting out of it without breaking the bank on 45 ammunition. Thanks for your input. 

#6 thetalonguy

thetalonguy

Sharp Shooter!

• 401 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted October 26 2017 - 06:51 PM

Just got my hands on both the PC 1.0 and the new Shield 2.0. The grip was phenomenal on the 2.0; it wasn't even comparable to the 1.0 grip.

Didn't shoot them, so I cannot attest difference the ported barrel and hi viz sights would be over the 2.0.

On just the dry handling alone, the improvement of the grip outweighed the better sights. There was only a $30-$40 difference in price with the PC being more expensive.

Still can't decide; but now I'm favoring the 2.0. Was going to try to make my decision for purchase tomorrow.

#7 JAMerolle

JAMerolle

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 270 posts

Posted October 26 2017 - 08:38 PM

I have the ported 9mm and after extensive research here is what I found to be the downside of the ported shield. 

1.  Considerably very load compared to the regular shield (Julie Golob will not use this gun in competition for this reason, even though she is a spokesperson for M&W.)  Julie's everyday carry is the 9mm regular shield.  

2. It makes for a difficult clean and cleaning is needed more often, as fouling is expensive through the tiny hard to clean ports onto the sights. 

3. A small group have concerns with shooting at night with heavy flash distorting vision 

If you can move past these concerns, it's a smooth trigger, good sights and has that cool factor. Is it worth the additional money, the consensus seems to be a split decision.  Hicock45 reports " it answers a question that does not exist"  whereas, Shooch reports two thumbs up. 

Edited by JAMerolle, October 26 2017 - 08:57 PM.

• thetalonguy likes this

#8 thetalonguy

thetalonguy

Sharp Shooter!

• 401 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted October 26 2017 - 09:15 PM

Great, thanks for your input. I just watched Julie's review of the 2.0. Once again, grip and trigger upgrades were the main focus over the 1.0.

I don't mind having to clean more with the ported barrel, but coolness factor is not a big draw to me either. Fit and function are more important.

Still feeling like I may spring for the 2.0 tomorrow.

Stupid question, not like it really has much sway anyway, but does the PC come with a hard case or is it just a cardboard box like the regular shields?

#9 JAMerolle

JAMerolle

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 270 posts

Posted October 26 2017 - 09:21 PM

Cardboard box.  You are going for the 2.0 which version?  Either way, I would wait until prices drop, the first month will always be the high prices. Also, I would buy via gunbroker and catch one with no reserve and sort on bids and prices, a value of $200 in savings. 

Edited by JAMerolle, October 26 2017 - 09:29 PM.

#10 thetalonguy

thetalonguy

Sharp Shooter!

• 401 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted October 26 2017 - 09:26 PM

2.0 M&P Shield 9 w/ safety

#11 JAMerolle

JAMerolle

Respected Gunowner

• Donated Member
  • 270 posts

Posted October 26 2017 - 09:34 PM

http://www.gunbroker...ield 2.0&Sort=9

#12 PerfectoShot

PerfectoShot

Gun Guru

• 766 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted October 26 2017 - 10:00 PM

I always buy guns online to save money and AVOID NY ridiculous high tax... I understands that we need to support local shops but price is not even that good from the MSRP plus high tax but i do buy ammo, Optics and accessories from local though

• Peconic Paladin likes this

#13 Peconic Paladin

Peconic Paladin

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 2151 posts

Posted October 27 2017 - 09:14 AM

I always buy guns online to save money and AVOID NY ridiculous high tax... I understands that we need to support local shops but price is not even that good from the MSRP plus high tax but i do buy ammo, Optics and accessories from local though

If I had a local gun shop out this far I would do just this thing.,

#14 thetalonguy

thetalonguy

Sharp Shooter!

• 401 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted October 27 2017 - 12:32 PM

Thanks for the additional info. Who are you guys using as a FFL around here? (Nassau). I've been seeing between $40-$50 for a new transfer. 

#15 PerfectoShot

PerfectoShot

Gun Guru

• 766 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted October 27 2017 - 01:28 PM

Thanks for the additional info. Who are you guys using as a FFL around here? (Nassau). I've been seeing between $40-$50 for a new transfer. 

Jerry firearms do $25 and some shops in Eastern Suffolk actually do $10 for handguns which is pretty nice.

#16 Range Time

Range Time

Respected Gunowner

• 227 posts
  • LocationWestern Suffolk

Posted October 27 2017 - 05:40 PM

Check with Volko. They are wonderful, but I don't know their price for a handgun transfer.

#17 lonewolf5347

lonewolf5347

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1498 posts

Posted October 27 2017 - 07:10 PM

Kwaks tackle shop on Merrick Rd Bellmore
30.00 or 35.00 on transfer.

#18 lonewolf5347

lonewolf5347

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1498 posts

Posted October 27 2017 - 07:12 PM

I have a shield pick up used 2 years ago from a member here runs great

#19 Shotgun682

Shotgun682

LIF Official Supporter

• Club LIF Member
  • 2335 posts

Posted October 27 2017 - 07:31 PM

Check with Volko. They are wonderful, but I don't know their price for a handgun transfer.

Volko does not do handguns

Edited by Shotgun682, October 27 2017 - 07:31 PM.

#20 gcloss

gcloss

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 738 posts
  • LocationEx-New Yorker now living in Peachtree City GA

Posted October 28 2017 - 04:30 PM

I just purchased this week the M&P 9 2.0 Compact. The guy next to me at the counter was buying the first generation M&P 9 Shield brand new for $299. Probably cheaper then a used Shield.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users