Tree Stand Hunting - Hunting - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Tree Stand Hunting

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 11071 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted October 13 2017 - 06:08 AM

I always preferred using a tree stand for hunting.
This was built for my cousins kids who always wanted a tree house.
Since the East End is loaded with quality big rack deer. I feel this spot will serve just fine.
The temperatures have dropped and deer are finally going to get in the Pre-Rut phase.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20171002_175117714.jpg

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Ricekila

Ricekila

Banned

• Banned
  • Others: Established Member
  • 1906 posts
  • LocationSwindlehurst

Posted October 13 2017 - 07:09 AM

Eastern LI-er stoopid question -- as I understand it ( & probably wrong ? ) upstate if it wanders on your land & your not in violation of some law that states you cant make a bang noise 500' ( or whatever feet ) from a road ----- can you bust a cap in its fuzz ass if its on your property -- cant you do that here ?

I have heard of potato / sod farmers out by Sound Ave. banging deer any time of the year --

#3 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 11552 posts

Posted October 13 2017 - 08:24 AM

Eastern LI-er stoopid question -- as I understand it ( & probably wrong ? ) upstate if it wanders on your land & your not in violation of some law that states you cant make a bang noise 500' ( or whatever feet ) from a road ----- can you bust a cap in its fuzz ass if its on your property -- cant you do that here ?

I have heard of potato / sod farmers out by Sound Ave. banging deer any time of the year --

A land owner can apply for a nuisance permit - which allows them to take deer (I think any time)

• Ricekila likes this

#4 Peconic Paladin

Peconic Paladin

Gun Guru

• 2151 posts

Posted October 13 2017 - 09:47 AM

A land owner can apply for a nuisance permit - which allows them to take deer (I think any time)

Pretty much. The Town or Village Clerk of where you live will have them.

#5 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 6193 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted October 13 2017 - 10:04 AM

You may shoot, within 500 feet of an occupied dwelling, with the permission of the owner, anywhere, in this state, while hunting, where and when hunting is legal. On LI, our only big game hunting is in Suffolk and that is limited to shotgun, muzzle loader or archery. We do not have rifle or handgun big game hunting, in the county. That looks like a very interesting "tree stand."

Gary

#6 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11071 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted October 13 2017 - 10:11 AM

Archery only unless you have property that is 10 acres you may hunt deer with a town permit during the January season with a Shotgun or Muzzleloader.
Sound Ave farmers have nuisance hunters. They call the DEC and local police before going out to harvest deer.
  • Ricekila likes this

#7 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 11481 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted October 13 2017 - 01:15 PM

You can bow hunt as long as you are 100ft from a house , you have the owners permission and the land is not posted.

#8 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 11071 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted October 13 2017 - 04:10 PM

Nice spot, waiting for a shooter buck!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20171013_164503266.jpg

#9 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11071 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted October 13 2017 - 04:23 PM

You can bow hunt as long as you are 100ft from a house , you have the owners permission and the land is not posted.

Any private property requires written permission when hunting. Posted or not you must have that with you in New York. 150 foot from a no occupied building, dwelling or permission from neighbor to hunt closer than 150'.

#10 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 4870 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted October 14 2017 - 06:55 AM

Just like I do with the unSAFE Act, I would urge hunters and would-be hunters to peruse and become completely knowledgeable regarding the applicable state and local municipality hunting regulations.   the amount of "pull it out of your anus" information on the "interwebz" and yes, even on this esteemed website, just blows one's mind.  Not worth being arrested and having your hunting (or fishing) implements confiscated by the applicable authorities.

• grifhunter likes this

#11 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11071 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted October 14 2017 - 08:54 AM

Just like I do with the unSAFE Act, I would urge hunters and would-be hunters to peruse and become completely knowledgeable regarding the applicable state and local municipality hunting regulations. the amount of "pull it out of your anus" information on the "interwebz" and yes, even on this esteemed website, just blows one's mind. Not worth being arrested and having your hunting (or fishing) implements confiscated by the applicable authorities.

DEC ENCON will lie to you when they come on your property because you are hunting. They need probable cause and if they tell you they received an anonymous compliant, you challenge them by calling the state police to follow up with a legitimate complaint. All complaints, anonymous or not require an officer to draw a complaint number prior to responding. All Police agencies in New York require that once you respond to the property.
  • grifhunter likes this

#12 the blur

the blur

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 2939 posts

Posted October 28 2017 - 02:27 PM

Follow hunters for deer on facebook.   They have some good arguments & some poor complainers.  

#13 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 11071 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted October 28 2017 - 06:08 PM

My ground blind has been very effective. The bucks have started to chase the doe upstate.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20171028_173809910.jpg

#14 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11071 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted October 30 2017 - 12:08 PM

Today is windy and cold. I think tomorrow will be better.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20171028_135402609.jpg

#15 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 11481 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted October 30 2017 - 03:33 PM

Any private property requires written permission when hunting. Posted or not you must have that with you in New York. 150 foot from a no occupied building, dwelling or permission from neighbor to hunt closer than 150'.

Oh thought that was 100ft. I hunt private land never repaid muchbanttensoin cause it was my land . But that good to know.

#16 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11071 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted October 30 2017 - 04:44 PM

Oh thought that was 100ft. I hunt private land never repaid muchbanttensoin cause it was my land . But that good to know.

Encon DEC Police are around and will stop if they see a hunter to check them out on private or public land. Learn the hunting regulations since they will jam you up for any ECL violation.
  • grifhunter likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users