24 hour range - Nassau County [Ranges] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

24 hour range

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Semperfi

Semperfi

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 282 posts

Posted September 08 2017 - 12:08 PM

I was reading a thread back in 2010 about 24 hour ranges. I know freeport, i don't like the idea you can't shoot a rifle in there or anything above 1400 fps. What else is there? Is freeport worth it? thanks

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 anythinggood

anythinggood

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1538 posts

Posted September 08 2017 - 03:47 PM

indoor range is limited to standard pistol cartridges.  Rifles chambered in 22LR are fine.

#3 PerfectoShot

PerfectoShot

Gun Guru

• 766 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted September 08 2017 - 04:57 PM

wait how does 24 hours range work? do they switching shifts every 6 hours or something also is it weird to show up at 2Am in the morning? lol

#4 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 7041 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted September 08 2017 - 05:13 PM

wait how does 24 hours range work? do they switching shifts every 6 hours or something also is it weird to show up at 2Am in the morning? lol

Freeport members get keys.

#5 anythinggood

anythinggood

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1538 posts

Posted September 08 2017 - 05:33 PM

By they do you mean range officers or some type of oversight?

• imrich likes this

#6 anythinggood

anythinggood

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1538 posts

Posted September 08 2017 - 05:40 PM

We are issued a key that is a chip key fob in our individual membership cards. You get a new card every year when you pay you yearly dues.  There is a ledger book you sign in and out of so that there is a record to look back on in case of property damage and whatnot.

#7 PerfectoShot

PerfectoShot

Gun Guru

• 766 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted September 08 2017 - 05:40 PM

Freeport members get keys.

hm thats interesting, I'll might apply but is there any range officer/employers that watching in case if some idiot tried to rapid fire out of control?

#8 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 7041 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted September 08 2017 - 05:59 PM

hm thats interesting, I'll might apply but is there any range officer/employers that watching in case if some idiot tried to rapid fire out of control?

Usually not, but the video cameras see all.

I have never seen anyone go crazy there. The indoor range is very safe. The outdoor range obviously requires a little more care from the shooters in calling ceasefires and such, but I always felt safe there.
  • rlitman and PerfectoShot like this

#9 PerfectoShot

PerfectoShot

Gun Guru

• 766 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted September 08 2017 - 06:40 PM

Usually not, but the video cameras see all.

I have never seen anyone go crazy there. The indoor range is very safe. The outdoor range obviously requires a little more care from the shooters in calling ceasefires and such, but I always felt safe there.

whats the cost of a year membership? does they even offer monthly option?

• squiggley likes this

#10 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Gun Guru

• 1747 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted September 08 2017 - 07:38 PM

whats the cost of a year membership? does they even offer monthly option?

It's 200 for the year plus I think $175 new membership initiation fee. However, I had heard that they have a prorated membership in a July & October. I believe I read that in October it's the same price but you get the remainder of that year for free. My friend and I were thinking of joining.
  • PerfectoShot likes this

#11 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11248 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted September 09 2017 - 07:08 AM

It's 200 for the year plus I think $175 new membership initiation fee. However, I had heard that they have a prorated membership in a July & October. I believe I read that in October it's the same price but you get the remainder of that year for free. My friend and I were thinking of joining.

It's ok for handgun. Using the outdoor range is limited use. Like any club, it is clicky.

#12 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Gun Guru

• 1747 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted September 09 2017 - 07:09 AM

Yeah I had a hard time paying that kind of $ especially if I ever wanted to bring someone they have to be a member.

#13 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11248 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted September 09 2017 - 07:13 AM

Yeah I had a hard time paying that kind of $ especially if I ever wanted to bring someone they have to be a member.

Mitchell Field has a few clubs that operate a few times a month to weekly. You can't use high velocity ammunition in the indoor range at Freeport.

#14 Ricekila

Ricekila

Banned

• Banned
  • Others: Established Member
  • 1906 posts
  • LocationSwindlehurst

Posted September 09 2017 - 07:29 AM

I miss Melville -- 

The closest public range to me is - Islip Rifle & Pistol Range - but I've never seen it open -- weird --

#15 PerfectoShot

PerfectoShot

Gun Guru

• 766 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted September 09 2017 - 11:11 AM

I miss Melville -- 

The closest public range to me is - Islip Rifle & Pistol Range - but I've never seen it open -- weird --

i dont know which range you mean but outdoor one seem have weird opening hours but they have good range officers, Some of them are retired police officer/Detectives.  One of them let me try his Lightweight remington 700 in .223 which are super crazy accurate lol i immediately fell in love with it so i had to buy my own

• Ricekila likes this

#16 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11248 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted September 09 2017 - 11:57 AM

i dont know which range you mean but outdoor one seem have weird opening hours but they have good range officers, Some of them are retired police officer/Detectives.  One of them let me try his Lightweight remington 700 in .223 which are super crazy accurate lol i immediately fell in love with it so i had to buy my own

Islip Town range offers a class for pistol and carbine. Usually a two day course.
Next time you visit that range ask the R.O.

#17 LarryD23

LarryD23

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 985 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted September 09 2017 - 12:02 PM

I joined DSI's range in Oakdale a few months ago and I have absolutely no regrets. It's brand new, well designed, well lit, and the air handling is excellent. Even when I have someone blasting away with a shotgun in the next lane, I can breath easily.

Unlike Mitchel Field, if you bring your child with you, you don't have to pay for them if you are a member. And unlike Mitchel Field, your child is not limited to .22 cal rifles. With my license and NY Hunter Education Certificate she can also shoot my handguns.

In terms of safety, I might also add that I have yet to see a bullet hole behind the firing line. Can't say that about Mitchel Field.

It may not be open 24 hours, but I have never had to wait for a point since joining and I go there almost every weekend.

• Lou G and Camaro45th like this

#18 Semperfi

Semperfi

Respected Gunowner

• 282 posts

Posted September 09 2017 - 12:49 PM

I liked DSI's range but i don't like the store honestly. Bit far from me aswell. Is that legal to have her to shoot your handguns? Don't incriminate anybody now  :computerhit

#19 LarryD23

LarryD23

Gun Guru

• 985 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted September 09 2017 - 01:36 PM

I liked DSI's range but i don't like the store honestly. Bit far from me aswell. Is that legal to have her to shoot your handguns? Don't incriminate anybody now  :computerhit

100% legal as long as I have my pistol license and I have my NYS Hunter Education Certificate.

Read 7-d and 7-e: http://codes.findlaw...ect-265-20.html

#20 anythinggood

anythinggood

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1538 posts

Posted September 09 2017 - 01:48 PM

The freeport police PBA also is next to the regular member club house at the freeport range.  So the local cops are in and out often the president of the range makes randomly checks in to make sure members are keeping safe.  Good people there, keep safe and professional if you join and all will be fine.

• ProGodProGunProLife likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users