Bonackers vs. Big Wind - Fishing - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Bonackers vs. Big Wind

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jimmy958

jimmy958

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1733 posts

Posted August 29 2017 - 12:49 AM

"Nat Miller and Jim Bennett didn’t have much time to chat. It was about 8:45 on a sunny Sunday
morning in early May, and they were loading their gear onto two boats—a 20-foot skiff with a
115-horsepower outboard, and an 18-foot sharpie with a 50-horse outboard—at Lazy Point, on the
southern edge of Napeague Bay, on the South Fork of Long Island. 'We are working against the
wind and the tide,' Miller said as he shook my hand.

The men had already caught a fluke the size of a doormat and were eager for more. Miller and
Bennett are Bonackers, a name for a small group of families who were among eastern Long Island’s
earliest Anglo settlers. The Bonackers are some of America’s most storied fishermen. They’ve been
profiled several times, most vividly by Peter Matthiessen in his 1986 book Men’s Lives. Miller’s
roots in the area go back 13 generations, Bennett’s 14. That morning, Miller and Bennett and five
fellow fishermen were heading east to tend their 'pound traps,' an ancient method of fishing in
shallow water that uses staked enclosures to capture fish as they migrate along the shore. Miller
and Bennett were likely to catch scup, bass, porgies, and other species.

If Governor Andrew Cuomo gets his way, though, they and other commercial fishermen on the South
Fork may need to look for a new line of work. An avid promoter of renewable energy, Cuomo hopes
to install some 2,400 megawatts of wind turbines off New York’s coast, covering several hundred
square miles of ocean; a bunch of those turbines will go smack on top of some of the best
fisheries on the Eastern Seaboard. One of the projects, led by a Manhattan-based firm, Deepwater
Wind, could require plowing the bottom of Napeague Bay to make way for a high-voltage undersea
cable connecting the proposed 90-megawatt South Fork wind project to the grid. The proposed
50-mile cable would come ashore near the Devon Yacht Club, a few miles west of the beach on
which we were standing. 'I have 11 traps, and all of them run parallel to where that cable is
proposed to be run,' Miller says. 'My grandfather had traps here,' he adds before shoving his
skiff into the water. 'I want no part of this at all.'"

Read more: https://www.city-jou...wind-15333.html

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Punisher1336

Punisher1336

MOLON LABE

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 3222 posts

Posted August 29 2017 - 01:47 AM

NIMBYism applies to all new ventures. However, I find it hard to reject this form of clean energy .

#3 William Anthony

William Anthony

Sharp Shooter!

• 447 posts
  • LocationEast Quogue L.I. N.Y.

Posted August 29 2017 - 08:38 AM

Just the fact that Andy Cuomo is pushing this makes me skeptical about this project , I'm sorry but I would not be in favor of anything that this guy is promoting. Look what else he has done... Between him and his brother Chris , I don't know which one is worse. Thank God only one of them is in office. This plan of Wind Turbines was being touted for the Long Island Sound but was shot down as far as I know.Don't know if it's true but I have read in articles that wind turbines are only 30% effective in supplying power. Looks as tho this project is a done deal and this is just the tip of the iceberg according to this article..

http://www.computerw...ong-island.html

#4 slowryder

slowryder

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1448 posts

Posted August 29 2017 - 03:41 PM

Wave generators.... Problem is there much cheaper to produce, no big contractors or politicians to take the tax payer money.

http://www.alternati...rom-wing-waves/

#5 leftjammer

leftjammer

Gun Guru

• 2643 posts
  • LocationNew Hyde Park

Posted August 30 2017 - 10:08 AM

Wave generators.... Problem is there much cheaper to produce, no big contractors or politicians to take the tax payer money.

http://www.alternati...rom-wing-waves/

Truer words have never been spoken - 

And BTW - Who the FLUCK gives princess Andy the authority to rename an ICON bridge and name it after his scum-of-the-earth father?

#6 Landlubber

Landlubber

Sharp Shooter!

• 350 posts
  • LocationNassau NY

Posted August 31 2017 - 02:47 PM

NIMBYism applies to all new ventures. However, I find it hard to reject this form of clean energy .

I thought so too until I drove through Altamont pass in the late 90's-  it might be "clean", but there's a hell of a lot of infrastructure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users