Nassau County Permit experience - Nassau County (licensing/laws) - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Nassau County Permit experience

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#1 Prtforums

Prtforums

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 252 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted August 03 2017 - 06:12 PM

POPULAR

I picked up my permit today. I wanted to post my experience to encourage others and share information.

5/4 Dropped off application, given date of 5/31 for fingerprints.
5/31 Fingerprints, photo, application review, paid fees $87 for fingerprints $200 for 5 year permit.
6/14 checks cashed.
8/3 email notification of approval.

Kind of funny that I was approved the day after my birthday, a nice belated birthday gift :).
I was at the counter picking it up an hour and twenty minutes after I received the email :)

Now to finalize my first purchase (new thread on that coming).
  • Mr. Shotgun, NRATC53, CAP1974 and 6 others like this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Gun Guru

• 1747 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted August 03 2017 - 06:18 PM

Congrats, safe shooting

#3 Mr. Shotgun

Mr. Shotgun

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 2132 posts
  • LocationQueens, NYC

Posted August 03 2017 - 07:21 PM

congrats, let us know what you get

#4 M_F

M_F

Sharp Shooter!

• 420 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted August 03 2017 - 09:22 PM

Congrats!

If only Suffolk County would get with the program  :slow

Mailed application December 28, check gets cashed January 10, I finally get assigned an investigator between early June and late July (called 3 times in those 6 months for an update) At this pace I won't have my permit until sometime in 2018, I guess I'll be making some trips out of state to "touch" some handguns.

Have you decided on your first purchase? 

Safe Shooting  :triniti

#5 WTF All Day

WTF All Day

Respected Gunowner

• 250 posts
  • LocationSeaford

Posted August 03 2017 - 10:33 PM

Congrats. I remember the excitement. Keep in mind that the pistol licensing section is closed on the weekends so you better purchase tomorrow or it'll be a LONG weekend.  :fie

#6 Vycor

Vycor

Gun Guru

• 1867 posts

Posted August 04 2017 - 07:32 AM

What's funny is we used to say this about Nassau. Nassau was taking about a year and Suffolk was a few months. Now it's the other way around

Congrats!

If only Suffolk County would get with the program  :slow

• rlitman and infared like this

#7 Nordon

Nordon

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 6501 posts
  • LocationEast Northport, not far from Brooklyn

Posted August 04 2017 - 09:22 AM

We are brainwashed little sheep of NY, which is part of the USSA. We celebrate and congratulate for what takes 15 minutes, AND SHOULD BE THE SAME HERE, in the free part of this nation. I am the !@@ outta here when I retire, heading to "Live Free or Die" status of New Hampshire.

Edited by Nordon, August 04 2017 - 09:23 AM.

• NRATC53, blue steel and MasonEtAl like this

#8 thetalonguy

thetalonguy

Sharp Shooter!

• 390 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted August 04 2017 - 12:44 PM

That's great...I'm a week in after doing my finger prints. It does suck that all I can do is look, but not touch while I'm waiting. 

#9 TJ Ironhorse

TJ Ironhorse

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 2446 posts
  • LocationNorth Massapequa

Posted August 05 2017 - 11:26 AM

Congratulations. Nice to hear the process went quickly. As I like to do now, I urge as many people as I can to get their license.. Strength in numbers.
  • Parashooter, billb42 and Lou G like this

#10 Prtforums

Prtforums

Respected Gunowner

• 252 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted August 05 2017 - 02:00 PM

I urge as many people as I can to get their license.. Strength in numbers.

I agree, reading about the process here encouraged me to do it. Now I hope others also go for it. The 92 days it took me was not to bad (although there is plenty of room for improvement).

Go ahead, print out the forms now, drop them off next week and come the holidays I bet our Christmas lists will have a few things in common.

BTW: I am practicing what I preach. I just printed the application for my wife :). She is on board and will join our ranks in a few months.
  • Parashooter likes this

#11 TJ Ironhorse

TJ Ironhorse

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2446 posts
  • LocationNorth Massapequa

Posted August 05 2017 - 06:14 PM

I agree, reading about the process here encouraged me to do it. Now I hope others also go for it. The 92 days it took me was not to bad (although there is plenty of room for improvement).
Go ahead, print out the forms now, drop them off next week and come the holidays I bet our Christmas lists will have a few things in common.
BTW: I am practicing what I preach. I just printed the application for my wife :). She is on board and will join our ranks in a few months.

Going on 36 years that I have my license. Took 6 weeks back then. Lol. My wife also has her license for the past 20 or so years.
Glad to hear your wife will be getting hers also. The more common place it becomes the better.

#12 William Anthony

William Anthony

Sharp Shooter!

• 447 posts
  • LocationEast Quogue L.I. N.Y.

Posted August 05 2017 - 07:16 PM

Congratulations...LOL ( Although there's plenty of room for improvement)  A 3 month wait is like... in record time...

I'm going on 10 months with no word.....and I'm not alone...

• PerfectoShot and LarryD23 like this

#13 vpa94

vpa94

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted August 22 2017 - 04:30 PM

I just put my application in today 8/22, they gave me a fingerprint appointment on 9/12. Can't believe how short of time it is considering people waited more than 6 months.. VERY happy haha. We'll see what happens after the fingering printing. I'm in Nassau as well.

• TJ Ironhorse likes this

#14 LarryD23

LarryD23

Gun Guru

• 985 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted August 22 2017 - 05:48 PM

I just put my application in today 8/22, they gave me a fingerprint appointment on 9/12. Can't believe how short of time it is considering people waited more than 6 months.. VERY happy haha. We'll see what happens after the fingering printing. I'm in Nassau as well.

Good luck. Be grateful you don't live in Suffolk County.

• JohnnyYen likes this

#15 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 11553 posts

Posted August 22 2017 - 05:56 PM

Good luck. Be grateful you don't live in Suffolk County.

Funny, it wasn't that long ago, that's what we in Suffolk said to Nassau applicants... But then, we can still be a little grateful to be in Suffolk, Nassau Licensees get raped on the fees!.

• pequa1, Nordon and Ricekila like this

#16 PerfectoShot

PerfectoShot

Gun Guru

• 766 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted August 22 2017 - 07:04 PM

Funny, it wasn't that long ago, that's what we in Suffolk said to Nassau applicants... But then, we can still be a little grateful to be in Suffolk, Nassau Licensees get raped on the fees!.

what fees do they have?

#17 M_F

M_F

Sharp Shooter!

• 420 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted August 22 2017 - 07:09 PM

what fees do they have?

$200 for a 5 year pistol license as opposed to $10 in Suffolk, and their amendments cost $10 instead of $5. 

• pequa1, Parashooter and citypaul1 like this

#18 gcloss

gcloss

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 736 posts
  • LocationEx-New Yorker now living in Peachtree City GA

Posted August 22 2017 - 08:14 PM

Back in 1981, it took me no more than 4 weeks total in Nassau County. I happened to know a police officer who worked in the PLB who pushed the papers through the system.

I'm moving to Georgia next month where things are real simple. Go to gun shop, look at what you like, handle it and in some shops you can shoot the model before purchase. If you like the pistol, you take out your drivers license, they run a 4473, hand over your credit card to pay and you are on your way. No BS .....

• Parashooter, CAP1974, TJ Ironhorse and 2 others like this

#19 Mr. Shotgun

Mr. Shotgun

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 2132 posts
  • LocationQueens, NYC

Posted August 22 2017 - 08:15 PM

Back in 1981, it took me no more than 4 weeks total in Nassau County. I happened to know a police officer who worked in the PLB who pushed the papers through the system.

I'm moving to Georgia next month where things are real simple. Go to gun shop, look at what you like, handle it and in some shops you can shoot the model before purchase. If you like the pistol, you take out your drivers license, they run a 4473, hand over your credit card to pay and you are on your way. No BS .....

That's how it should be nationwide

• Parashooter, gcloss, Camaro45th and 1 other like this

#20 Wowzer

Wowzer

Gun Guru

• 629 posts
  • LocationNassau county

Posted September 08 2017 - 09:33 AM

I just got my license as well. Same experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users