Joined Freeport R&R Range Today - Nassau County [Ranges] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Joined Freeport R&R Range Today

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 robertrusso

robertrusso

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 167 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted June 28 2017 - 09:31 PM

I attended the new member meeting at Freeport tonight, it was a packed house. They were expecting over 50 new members, more than a normal month. This is the last month for the summer they will have new members, glad I was able to get down there and get in under the wire.

• joey52685 and ProGodProGunProLife like this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Gun Guru

• 1747 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted June 29 2017 - 04:29 AM

I attended the new member meeting at Freeport tonight, it was a packed house. They were expecting over 50 new members, more than a normal month. This is the last month for the summer they will have new members, glad I was able to get down there and get in under the wire.

good to hear. I tried to contact someone about finding out to join. I was told they were not accepting any more membership for the summer. Can I ask, what is the prorated charge for joining in July?

#3 lestwe4get

lestwe4get

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 443 posts

Posted June 29 2017 - 04:38 AM

Welcome to the range.

#4 robertrusso

robertrusso

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 167 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted June 29 2017 - 11:09 AM

good to hear. I tried to contact someone about finding out to join. I was told they were not accepting any more membership for the summer. Can I ask, what is the prorated charge for joining in July?

It was $90 for July plus the initiation fee of $200 (this remains constant)

If you join in October the Bylaws say its $175 plus the initiation fee of $200 and that is until the following December.

#5 robertrusso

robertrusso

Respected Gunowner

• 167 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted June 29 2017 - 11:10 AM

Welcome to the range.

Thank you, I took advantage of the indoor range already this morning.

#6 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Gun Guru

• 1747 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted June 29 2017 - 11:10 AM

So no prorated for October? Or it would be October 17-December-18?

#7 LarryD23

LarryD23

Gun Guru

• 985 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted June 29 2017 - 02:33 PM

Thank you, I took advantage of the indoor range already this morning.

How does it compare to Mitchell Field?

#8 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 1747 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted June 29 2017 - 03:16 PM

I went on the Sunday morning tour. It has motorized target launchers ( I have no idea idea what to call it but it's not the wheel and rope from Mitchell field lol) they only have like 5-6 indoor points. And then they have 25 yard and a couple 50 yard outdoor points.
  • LarryD23 likes this

#9 robertrusso

robertrusso

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 167 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted June 30 2017 - 07:12 PM

So no prorated for October? Or it would be October 17-December-18?

from the look of the bylaws if you sign up in October 2017 your normal 1 year fee and dues gets you Oct to Dec for free

#10 robertrusso

robertrusso

Respected Gunowner

• 167 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted June 30 2017 - 07:15 PM

One of my reasons was for costs. It is $175 for the year, that means after buying my Nassau County card for $30, it leaves $145, that is equal to 15 hours of shooting for the year. If you only went a few times a year then financially it might not be worth it.

The bigger factor is the association with other shooters and experts in the field.

• Camaro45th likes this

#11 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 1747 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted June 30 2017 - 07:37 PM

One of my reasons was for costs. It is $175 for the year, that means after buying my Nassau County card for $30, it leaves $145, that is equal to 15 hours of shooting for the year. If you only went a few times a year then financially it might not be worth it.

The bigger factor is the association with other shooters and experts in the field.

I belong to a club that is a lot less, but there are nights that get packed in the one range that you wind up waiting a while. Plus it's only sept-June. I just didn't like the # of indoor points Freeport has. Maybe I'll rethink it. I also didn't like that I couldn't bring a friend down if I wanted. At least with MF it's open to the public.

#12 robertrusso

robertrusso

Respected Gunowner

• 167 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted June 30 2017 - 09:00 PM

I belong to a club that is a lot less, but there are nights that get packed in the one range that you wind up waiting a while. Plus it's only sept-June. I just didn't like the # of indoor points Freeport has. Maybe I'll rethink it. I also didn't like that I couldn't bring a friend down if I wanted. At least with MF it's open to the public.

I agree with the friend part as well as the 6 indoor spots, I would like to see more indoor. I like MF and will continue to go there with my wife and kids so they can shoot.

• LarryD23 and Camaro45th like this

#13 thetalonguy

thetalonguy

Sharp Shooter!

• 401 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted July 25 2018 - 10:17 PM

Bump:-). So now that it has been over a year, I’m curious of your thoughts. I was considering joining earlier in the year, but decided to put it aside.

My cousin’s husband told me he is a member and would like a friendly tag along.

I have no qualms with MF. Might not be state of the art, but it’s cheap, never had to wait for a point and can generally shoot whatever I have at the point (been enjoying shooting pistol and rifle) in the same session.

The 24hr access and outdoor points at Freeport seem great. But would be really concerned with point availablity and being limited to pistol only during indoor hours/sessions. Not looking to spend more time hanging out there than shooting.

#14 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11242 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted July 26 2018 - 08:23 AM

Freeport also gets crowded along with being unable to use the outdoor range because they have it closed for an event. Some of the clubs at Mitchell Field are actually very cheap if you join. No checking in at the desk just sign the book for the club and walk in.

#15 Prtforums

Prtforums

Respected Gunowner

• 252 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted July 26 2018 - 01:27 PM

I just joined at the beginning of the month. So far I have gone 4 times and always had a point. I work in the city and go around 7 pm and am usually alone or with only one other person there.

I hear from 4 pm to 6 pm it is busy with people going right after work.

The only thing MF has that I would consider better is shooting distances. At Freeport the minimum distance is 7 yards. I usually do 7 or 10 yards but some times I like some drills at 3 or 5.

The outside range also can be used at distances less that 25 yards but only if you are alone or everyone agrees to use the same distances.
  • thetalonguy likes this

#16 OneLowRider

OneLowRider

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 810 posts

Posted July 26 2018 - 09:13 PM

Can you use any caliber indoors or just light calibers ?

#17 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Gun Guru

• 1747 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted July 27 2018 - 04:32 AM

Can you use any caliber indoors or just light calibers ?

when I went on the tour maybe last year some time, you can shoot handgun calibers No Problem but only .22 out of a rifle.

#18 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11242 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted July 27 2018 - 05:27 AM

Hopefully more public ranges will open, seems like Nassau can use a new indoor range.

#19 Prtforums

Prtforums

Respected Gunowner

• 252 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted July 27 2018 - 12:30 PM

when I went on the tour maybe last year some time, you can shoot handgun calibers No Problem but only .22 out of a rifle.

Indoors for handguns it is non magnum pistol calibers (22, .380, 9mm, 40, 45, etc.  but no 357, 44 Mag, 22 WMR, etc).  Like Camaro45th said rifles is 22LR only. 

Additionally the restrict steel cased projectiles indoors.   

#20 thetalonguy

thetalonguy

Sharp Shooter!

• 401 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted July 27 2018 - 01:19 PM

Indoors for handguns it is non magnum pistol calibers (22, .380, 9mm, 40, 45, etc.  but no 357, 44 Mag, 22 WMR, etc).  Like Camaro45th said rifles is 22LR only. 

Additionally the restrict steel cased projectiles indoors.   

No .357 mag for pistol is probably a deal breaker for me. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users