Family trip to the gun store - leave baby at home? - Gun Stores & Gunsmiths - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Family trip to the gun store - leave baby at home?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Shotgun

Mr. Shotgun

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 2150 posts
  • LocationQueens, NYC

Posted June 27 2017 - 02:36 PM

My wife and I were planning a trip to the gun store to look at safes, maybe a new 12 gauge shotgun and a new pistol. The thing is we have a 7 month old daughter. Would it look bad if I had her with me in my chest carrier while I'm checking out new firearms?

Please advise, I'd hate to get in trouble and lose my license for taking my child into a gun shop, thanks! 

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 1747 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted June 27 2017 - 02:39 PM

I don't know if you can legally get into trouble, but I'd say leave the child home. I've been in he same situation. I have to watch my daughter and wanted to go to the store. I leave her home. But if it's a store like Dicks, different story.

#3 LI Ammo

LI Ammo

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Established Member, Club LIF Member

• 1020 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted June 27 2017 - 02:53 PM

My wife and I were planning a trip to the gun store to look at safes, maybe a new 12 gauge shotgun and a new pistol. The thing is we have a 7 month old daughter. Would it look bad if I had her with me in my chest carrier while I'm checking out new firearms?

Please advise, I'd hate to get in trouble and lose my license for taking my child into a gun shop, thanks! 

More likely the gun shop would lose its license if it let your baby get near a handgun.

I would not hand a gun to a person holding a baby, in or out of my store.

That said, we welcome babies in our gun store. We pray that the parents will have the good sense to step outside for a moment if the baby decides to start screaming, since we have a very small space.

My kids are already grown men, so I rather enjoy having (quiet) babies around. Very soothing.

• Destro and killian like this

#4 Mr. Shotgun

Mr. Shotgun

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 2150 posts
  • LocationQueens, NYC

Posted June 27 2017 - 03:09 PM

I don't know if you can legally get into trouble, but I'd say leave the child home. I've been in he same situation. I have to watch my daughter and wanted to go to the store. I leave her home. But if it's a store like Dicks, different story.

More likely the gun shop would lose its license if it let your baby get near a handgun.

I would not hand a gun to a person holding a baby, in or out of my store.

That said, we welcome babies in our gun store. We pray that the parents will have the good sense to step outside for a moment if the baby decides to start screaming, since we have a very small space.

My kids are already grown men, so I rather enjoy having (quiet) babies around. Very soothing.

Thanks for your sincere responses! At least today I have been educated on proper etiquette for gun store visits with a child

Edited by Mr. Shotgun, June 27 2017 - 03:16 PM.

• Camaro45th likes this

#5 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• 25759 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted June 27 2017 - 03:27 PM

Don't do it. Some liberal will see you going into the gun store, call the Police and try to have you arrested for endangerment to the welfare of a child.
  • Mr. Shotgun and PerfectoShot like this

#6 PerfectoShot

PerfectoShot

Gun Guru

• 766 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted June 27 2017 - 03:49 PM

Don't do it. Some liberal will see you going into the gun store, call the Police and try to have you arrested for endangerment to the welfare of a child.

1+

#7 nyc_dawg1997

nyc_dawg1997

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1139 posts

Posted June 27 2017 - 06:14 PM

I had brought my 8 years old to a gun store and the gun store owner/staff didnt say anything and I've seen a dad and his son shopping 10/22, I wasn't aware if there's a law or rule that can't bring kids into gun store.  Isnt it the same thing when you bring young kids looking at guns at dicks? 

#8 Landlubber

Landlubber

Sharp Shooter!

• 350 posts
  • LocationNassau NY

Posted June 27 2017 - 07:18 PM

Don't do it, it's bad enough when the ADULTS drool all over the guns I want to buy.

• OneLowRider, ProGodProGunProLife and Prtforums like this

#9 robertrusso

robertrusso

Respected Gunowner

• 167 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted June 27 2017 - 10:39 PM

I would be worried that the baby gets hurt in the store. We have all seen how quickly babies move and just how fast they can get in trouble.

#10 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 6264 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted June 28 2017 - 07:02 AM

I had brought my 8 years old to a gun store and the gun store owner/staff didnt say anything and I've seen a dad and his son shopping 10/22, I wasn't aware if there's a law or rule that can't bring kids into gun store.  Isnt it the same thing when you bring young kids looking at guns at dicks? 

There aren't any laws which say you can't bring a child into a gun store. It all depends on the store's policy but I've seen many instances of men and women toting infants, in gun stores.

Gary

• Mr. Shotgun and ProGodProGunProLife like this

#11 Yaphank Kid

Yaphank Kid

Older Budweiser

• Donated Member
  • 2222 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted June 28 2017 - 07:24 AM

It's not illegal to bring your family into a gun store. If you don't want to do it for etiquette's sake that's one thing, but to not do it because you're worried about what some liberal will think as others have stated here is lunacy. Thinking like that means the antis have already won. NO ONE is going to make me stop doing something that is legal and which i have a right to do.
  • John L, ProGodProGunProLife and BigDaddy like this

#12 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 7041 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted June 28 2017 - 08:26 AM

It's not illegal to bring your family into a gun store. If you don't want to do it for etiquette's sake that's one thing, but to not do it because you're worried about what some liberal will think as others have stated here is lunacy. Thinking like that means the antis have already won. NO ONE is going to make me stop doing something that is legal and which i have a right to do.

I was thinking the same thing.  If you think the baby might get in the way or seen as somehow disruptive by the store owner, fine.  But, we shouldn't let the bigotry of anti-gun lunatics rule our lives.

• Gary_Hungerford and Yaphank Kid like this

#13 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 7041 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted June 28 2017 - 08:28 AM

I would be worried that the baby gets hurt in the store. We have all seen how quickly babies move and just how fast they can get in trouble.

It is all about supervision.  I don't see a gun store as any more dangerous than most other stores.  I think a baby or young child would be in far more danger in Home Depot than in a typical LGS.  There is a lot more dangerous stuff, out in the open, in a hardware/home improvement store and there are forklifts being driven around and such.

• pequa1 and Yaphank Kid like this

#14 Prtforums

Prtforums

Respected Gunowner

• 252 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted June 28 2017 - 11:19 AM

It is all about supervision.

So true. And since the OP's wife will also be there he can hand off the baby if he wants to do something that you don't want to baby near, like handle a pistol or rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Mr. Shotgun likes this

#15 DarkStorm

DarkStorm

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Donated Member

• 2723 posts

Posted June 28 2017 - 11:36 AM

We have families and parents with kids in our store all the time.  We are pet friendly too!  Come on by.

• Mr. Shotgun, joey52685, Jakef150 and 2 others like this

#16 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4923 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted June 28 2017 - 11:37 AM

It is all about supervision.  I don't see a gun store as any more dangerous than most other stores.  I think a baby or young child would be in far more danger in Home Depot than in a typical LGS.  There is a lot more dangerous stuff, out in the open, in a hardware/home improvement store and there are forklifts being driven around and such.

I would be more concerned with a toddler than an infant, but agree with this completely.

• ProGodProGunProLife likes this

#17 Range Time

Range Time

Respected Gunowner

• 227 posts
  • LocationWestern Suffolk

Posted June 28 2017 - 01:57 PM

Bring the baby. Guns are a part of life. I have purchased a gun while my holding my infant, and I would take my business elsewhere if the clerk told me I couldn't.

No gun should be loaded while it is being purchased, and no one should be muzzling me (or my baby) while I'm buying it. I didn't fondle the gun while holding her, but I certainly touched it.

I tend to think MANY people have carried guns and babies at the same time. I bet many of those guns were loaded.

FYI I have also held my baby while touching or shopping for a car, a saw, an axe, knives, bats, chemicals, cleaners, and many other things that could be dangerous. In all cases, I practiced safe behavior.
  • Mr. Shotgun, Yaphank Kid and Prtforums like this

#18 fenucho

fenucho

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 1290 posts
  • LocationAdirondaks

Posted June 28 2017 - 04:48 PM

Any one complains, tell them to pound sand.

Children need to learn early that what you're buying are tools.

Show everything you handle to your baby and buy the one that makes her/him giggle the most :)

Edited by fenucho, June 28 2017 - 04:48 PM.

• Yaphank Kid likes this

#19 Mr. Shotgun

Mr. Shotgun

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 2150 posts
  • LocationQueens, NYC

Posted June 29 2017 - 08:27 AM

True, my 7 month old cant walk yet, and I could always hand her off to my wife if I wanted to check out a gun in the store.

Who knows, maybe the baby could help me decide what to get next.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users