Can anyone give me an honest assessment of Captree/Great South Bay - Fishing - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Can anyone give me an honest assessment of Captree/Great South Bay

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Plugger

Plugger

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted May 29 2017 - 09:02 PM

Background on this question - I think most of you will be happy for me when I state that I am getting off Long Island and moving to North Carolina - Raleigh/Durham area.  I've gone down with the family 4 times in the last year and we decided to pull the trigger on the move.  I also spent some time on the Outer Banks - I look forward to fishing and boating with about 99% less as$)([email protected] on the water with me.  Yes, I've got at most 36 months left to spend here, i Could be out of here in 6 months - Thank Good God Almighty, soon I'll be free at last.  Oh Lord - free at last . . .  I ask the question for the following reason -

I spent a good portion of my childhood fishing off the Captree piers, off the day boats, etc. - primarily for fluke.  My family and I largely gave it up when the Great South Bay seemed to go devoid of fish in the 1980's.  I went out on boats maybe 3 or 4 times in the 1990's and I would watch 45 people on the boat catch at most, 20 keeper sized fluke.  I went out on a Cod boat in the dead of winter and 20 cod come over the rails.  I then watched the boats start charging extra for a rod rental, for a sinker and hook if you lost it, and then for live killies.  I remember the ginzo's on the Captain Lou Fleet charging for them and stating at every stop "its never to late to buy fresh bait" while we were given semi-frozen spearing to put on the hook.  

Now from what I understand, the Captree piers have been taken over by the Flushing express and its wall to wall crab pots and nets while whole families bring dinner tables out onto the docks to eat.  I don't see any real change in the lack of fish coming over the rails of the party boats either.  It seems to be, given the sheer amount of internet hits - that the Captree boatman's association is using excellent internet marketers to disguise what the true conditions are, and have been for decades now. There does not seem to be any bad press regarding Great South Bay fishing -  I could be wrong, but over the years I learned to read the 'fishing reports' that are as good as lawyers documents advocating for why their rape perpetrating client should get the minimum sentence.  They look like the same BS as it was back in the 90's   NOW

I want to recreate for my sons and daughter a little bit of what I had as a kid before we end up moving down south.  I want to do it as much for them as for me just to let a little bit of the 1970's/EARLY 1980's long island life was life.  

I need to take the kids to one of the piers at Captree and have them catch a lot of Snappers  AND

I would like to take them on a Fluke Boat once and have them catch a few each

I would like to take them on an offshore bluefishing boat once as well

Any ideas?  

• Seancusmc likes this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Seancusmc

Seancusmc

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 720 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted May 29 2017 - 09:22 PM

Captree is fine if you want to have a few drinks on the water with friends and catch some little fish to throw back every once in a while. It should be a good experience for your kids to introduce them to fishing. But I like to catch fish to keep, so  I dont bother with Captree anymore though. 

I started chartering the Oh brother out of montauk. They are located right next to gossmans dock restaurant. We stay at the hotel across the street. The boat holds 6 people. I think I paid $650 plus tip for a half day of striper fishing. Figure about $800 for the day. We go with them 2- 3 days a year. I split the cost with friends. There is a captain and 1 mate. These guys are awesome. I have been told that they compete on televised fishing competitions but never asked.  I cant guarantee what will happen the day you go, but every time I use them, we max out or come close. Last time I went striper fishing with them, we maxed out immediately with huge fish. We went home a few hours early, because everyone was too tired to reel anymore in.

This year I chartered them for a full day. We are going shark fishing. Maybe tuna fishing depending on circumstances at the time. Maybe a good memory for your kids to see dad reel in a nice big Mako. Id bring another fellow dad with you to help out though. Split the cost and the muscle.

Hope this helps

#3 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4926 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted May 30 2017 - 08:07 AM

While I agree that fishing nowadays in my area (South Oyster Bay to Jones INlet area) is nowhere near as good as it was in the late 70s and early 80s when I had my first boat, I still catch enough fish to satisfy my dinner cravings and freeze some.   But I catch and bring home more on my kayak which is so easy and quick to put in, than I do on my bay boat which I use maybe 6 times a season compared to 30 or more times on the yak.  I think I took home a total of 10 keeper fluke all last year and most from the yak.   But I like being my own "captain" and you can buy a yak for the cost of one or two charters.     I also surfcast every fall in between deer hunting  and occasionally bring home a striper or a few large blues.   We love to filet and  barbecue snappers in late July through mid September and virtually all are caught from my kayak.   For snappers I would avoid Captree, just too crowded and I like to think I am in America.  For fluke you can probably have the kids catch a few on a good day on a party boat, but as for how many will be 19" long.....

#4 mvphilly

mvphilly

Gun Guru

• 1828 posts

Posted May 30 2017 - 04:44 PM

The Sea Bass trips from Captree to the Fire Island Reef seem to do good by me and the Sea Bass is better eating in my opinon.Just have to grab the right boat and try a weekday when there are less people on board.

#5 LarryD23

LarryD23

Gun Guru

• 985 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted May 30 2017 - 06:00 PM

The Sea Bass trips from Captree to the Fire Island Reef seem to do good by me and the Sea Bass is better eating in my opinon.Just have to grab the right boat and try a weekday when there are less people on board.

My experience with my daughter has been that quantity beats quality every time. So... my vote also goes to bottom fishing the wrecks and reefs. Black Sea Bass and Porgies are pretty reliable and fairly easy to catch.

#6 Short Track Hunter

Short Track Hunter

Gun Guru

• 1143 posts

Posted May 31 2017 - 06:55 AM

I just read about Huntington yesterday.   Anyone go on a party boat out of Huntington?

#7 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4926 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted May 31 2017 - 07:12 AM

Excellent ideas above.   Black Sea Bass are delicious and on lighter tackle a good fight.   I would target them except in the bays virtually none are keeper size, just nuisance size.

#8 class3

class3

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 3561 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted June 01 2017 - 06:20 AM

What is a "flushing express"?

#9 Plugger

Plugger

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted June 01 2017 - 10:50 PM

Thank you for the Captree reef tip - I guess though there is no way to head to the docks in the Great South Bay and recreate what it was like even until the 1980's - I just can't believe that the lack of fish and conditions at the piers do not make the news more often. Its almost like people have given up and frankly, the captree boats should simply charge for a boat ride and not even advertise fishing.  I don't know why the internet isn't lit up about the decades long generally crappy fishing over the last 3 decades.  The few fishing forums that talk about the crowd at the docks on the weekend is depressing.  

My God I hate Long Island - 

PC

#10 WTF All Day

WTF All Day

Respected Gunowner

• 250 posts
  • LocationSeaford

Posted June 02 2017 - 09:35 AM

What is a "flushing express"?

If my senses are correct.......it's that that there's an influx of Asians that come in from Queens and kind of take over in droves. Anyone that plays golf knows about this type thing too as it happens at Bethpage as well. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users