Deadly Tick Disease Has Experts Issuing Dire Warnings - All Other - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Deadly Tick Disease Has Experts Issuing Dire Warnings

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jimmy958

jimmy958

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1737 posts

Posted May 08 2017 - 12:26 PM

"There's an emerging tick-borne disease spreading across the US, and it has infectious disease
experts sounding the alarm. The so-called Powassan virus, which the CDC reports is related to West
Nile, is still very rare, with only about 75 cases reported in the past decade. But it is far more
worrisome than Lyme disease, in that it's transmitted much more quickly (under an hour versus 24
hours) and can be fatal—the virus can cause meningitis and brain inflammation called encephalitis.
An "important change in the ecology" of the virus is behind the emerging concern, reports the Yale
School of Public Health. Though the first reported case dates to the 1950s, it wasn't considered a
threat because it was transmitted by a tick that rarely bites humans, reports Today. Now that it's
found in deer ticks, the game has changed."

Read more: http://www.newser.co...hilds-play.html

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7250 posts

Posted May 08 2017 - 02:16 PM

We do a lot of camping and given Lyme's we're cautious regarding contact with wild animals and ticks. This is just another reason to use caution while camping.

#3 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 11248 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted May 08 2017 - 03:42 PM

We do a lot of camping and given Lyme's we're cautious regarding contact with wild animals and ticks. This is just another reason to use caution while camping.

This is for anyone who is outdoors. Lyme's disease is very serious. I have seen a person who was in his mid 30's having serious health issues because of Lyme's disease. I remember the vaccination around the late 90's which didn't last.
I hope they find a vaccine that can prevent a tick borne illness.
  • 2edgesword and Trailblazer like this

#4 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Administrators
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 11496 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted May 08 2017 - 03:55 PM

When I hunt out east I spray my close down before and after I hunt.

#5 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• 25768 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted May 08 2017 - 04:48 PM

Now I have to worry about something else!

#6 mason852

mason852

Still a David Crockett kid

• Club LIF Member
  • 2686 posts
  • Locationridge

Posted May 08 2017 - 08:20 PM

cedarcide spray I live in the pine barrens and I swear by the stuff
  • 2edgesword likes this

#7 slowryder

slowryder

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1448 posts

Posted May 09 2017 - 06:14 AM

My wife got bit by a lone star tick, last year here in Coram, and it had Lyme. The lone star tick also carriers a virus that makes pass on a meat allergy.
Lone star ticks are becoming more prevalent on eastern Long Island.

https://www.cdc.gov/stari/disease/

#8 kouzman

kouzman

Respected Gunowner

• 199 posts
  • Locationnew york

Posted May 09 2017 - 07:19 AM

Permethrin treatment on the grass and high risk areas seems to work. Buy the solution, do the mix in a hand pump sprayer and spray away.

On my property i fenced the perimeter to stop deer access. It should reduce deer ticks. And other small animals like rabbits etc have disappeared since i got my dog.

#9 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11248 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted May 09 2017 - 09:16 AM

When I bought my house upstate the fields were overgrown. I mowed the fields for years. One of the locals stopped over if I was looking to get rid of any scrap metal and old furniture. She said that when she bought her place she bought a dozen chickens for eating all the insects. She said they work great at eating ticks and keeping snakes and other vermin away the house. This tick-borne illness can be prevented. Always walk in the middle of a trail, if walking in the woods use a deet product for skin. Check clothing and skin. I would take a shower after being outside as another precaution. Ticks seem to not like soap or a wash sponge.

#10 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4926 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted May 09 2017 - 10:41 AM

Getting rid of the feral cats that plague Lawnguyland would go a long way to getting rid of the tick problem.   the amount of songbirds and others birds that these cats kill every day...coyotes would help as well, although coyotes would also like chickens.... and piping plovers.

#11 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Gun Guru

• 1747 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted May 09 2017 - 01:41 PM

I just got an email from Senator Kemp Hannon I'll just post a picture for those interested. cf87792e48ce56b96449c663ddf91744.png

#12 CTM

CTM

Sharp Shooter!

• 391 posts
  • LocationColchester,NY & Suffolk, NY

Posted May 09 2017 - 05:07 PM

When I bought my house upstate the fields were overgrown. I mowed the fields for years. One of the locals stopped over if I was looking to get rid of any scrap metal and old furniture. She said that when she bought her place she bought a dozen chickens for eating all the insects. She said they work great at eating ticks and keeping snakes and other vermin away the house. This tick-borne illness can be prevented. Always walk in the middle of a trail, if walking in the woods use a deet product for skin. Check clothing and skin. I would take a shower after being outside as another precaution. Ticks seem to not like soap or a wash sponge.

Neighbor picked up a rooster for such purposes. It would make the rounds on his property pecking away and roost in the same tree every night. His life cycle was short lived however as I hawk had him for dinner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users