What gun do you wish you never bought or the biggest piece of crap you own - Page 2 - Chit-Chat - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

What gun do you wish you never bought or the biggest piece of crap you own

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24736 posts

Posted February 06 2018 - 05:44 PM

Jennings J22, a more or less saturday night special 22 auto.  I didn't really buy "it", it came as a lot of 3 pistols and I wanted the other 2.  

What a piece of crap.

It couldn't hit the side of a barn if it was leaning on the wall by the muzzle.  It has never fired more than 3 rounds in succession from an 8 round mag no matter how clean it is.   I have tried many times to sell or trade it since I got it, I still have it because nobody else wants it.   I haven't used it in years but it only cost the $5 for the purchase order and that's about all it's worth in my opinion.

Bryco, Jennings and Raven only make paperweights that look like guns

• Parashooter and sickofny like this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 Lou G

Lou G

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 947 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted February 06 2018 - 05:50 PM

Had a Essex .45. What a piece of crap.Unloaded that one quick

#23 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 11241 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted February 06 2018 - 05:57 PM

I had an AMT .380 Backup, it was a terrible pistol. Was lucky the owner of the gun shop took it back and used that credit to buy a S&W 640 Centennial.

#24 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 11553 posts

Posted February 06 2018 - 05:58 PM

Wouldn't go so far as to call it a piece of crap but I also have a 10/22 that jams up at some point before I can empty each magazine. Only have about 200 rounds through it. Maybe I'll try different ammo. Maybe there's a break in period. Fairly new to shooting and don't have much to compare it to. Unfortunately I have a Glock 19 that absolutely eats everything which has spoiled me. About 800 rounds through it. Never even a hint of a problem and cleaning it is so damn simple. I also have a Mossberg 500. Never had a problem with that either so I'm a little disappointed thus far with the Ruger. Hope it gets better.

Interesting. Unboxed it and took it to the range. Just like that. The first 100 rounds.......no problem. Didn't clean the rifle after that. Intended to, just never got a round to it. The second 100 rounds are where I had the problems. Honestly didn't think that the buildup of powder after that many rounds was enough to cause malfunction to a brand new rifle. Cleaned it after the 2nd trip to the range and it was pretty filthy. Gonna have to check on the ammo I used. Pretty sure it was Remington but Winchester is a possibility. Thanks!

Ahh... there's yer problem...  The cheap remington ammo is crap - very filthy.

Clean it more often too...

• NRATC53, gopedxr7 and SemiAutoFetish like this

#25 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 11553 posts

Posted February 06 2018 - 06:01 PM

Worst gun - one of the few "new" guns I've bought - was the Remington "Lightning" .22 semi.   My ex wanted it because she thought it felt lighter than a 10/22.

The plastic magazines were the killer - damn things weren't molded properly, and the follower would bind in the body...   after some reshaping and other modifications I had it running well.

And traded it towards a used 10/22 that I built up for her - Full-On silhouette gun.  and she was happy. (shot from the bench anyway, dunno why being light was an issue)

#26 CAP1974

CAP1974

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others:
  • 1788 posts
  • LocationMassapequa

Posted February 09 2018 - 02:36 PM

2002 Ruger Mini 14 purchased from American Outdoors, I couldn't hit the side of a barn with it no matter what I tried.

• choochoocharlie likes this

#27 M14 Shooter

M14 Shooter

Gun Guru

• 739 posts
  • LocationBay Shore

Posted February 09 2018 - 02:43 PM

Ruger LCP1 followed up closely by the Beretta Nano. LCP was hit or miss until the frame cracked in half. Nano kept jamming and eating the plastic striker spring holder.

#28 LI Ammo

LI Ammo

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Established Member, Club LIF Member

• 1020 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted February 09 2018 - 05:50 PM

Wouldn't go so far as to call it a piece of crap but I also have a 10/22 that jams up at some point before I can empty each magazine. Only have about 200 rounds through it. Maybe I'll try different ammo. Maybe there's a break in period. Fairly new to shooting and don't have much to compare it to. Unfortunately I have a Glock 19 that absolutely eats everything which has spoiled me. About 800 rounds through it. Never even a hint of a problem and cleaning it is so damn simple. I also have a Mossberg 500. Never had a problem with that either so I'm a little disappointed thus far with the Ruger. Hope it gets better.

The 10/22 is a great piece for very little money but my 'vast' experience as an owner of the gun and a gun store owner tells me that you need to try a few different ammos. Some Ruger 10/22s like some ammo, and others like a different ammo.

That's also true of nearly all 22lr semi autos.

All 22lr is dirty, some more than others, and 22lr is so easy to shoot that we forget to clean our guns regularly..

The bolt and spring kits for 10/22s might be worth looking into, but really, try a different ammo first.

There must be a large following of happy 10/22 owners since they've sold millions over 52 years that the gun is on the market.  (millions might be a slight exaggeration)

One overlooked element in a Ruger 10/22 is the magazine. The mag lips double as the feed ramp, so keep your mags clean and safe and don't keep old bent mags. The rifle doesn't have any other integral ramp, so the mag has to be perfect.

#29 the blur

the blur

Gun Guru

• 2962 posts

Posted February 09 2018 - 09:43 PM

Horror story with a Remington. Kept jamming. Send it back to the factory under warranty. They fixed it... they claimed. It was fixed for 20 rounds... I ran a box of ammo through it. Sighted it in again.

Go hunting. Shoot a deer...little too low. Deer trots off. I go for the follow up shot. Gun was jammed solid, deer was stunned, 30' from me. Could have easily shot the deer 4 times if I had a rifle that worked properly. Finally unjammed the gun. Deer was no where to be found.

Followed blood for 4 hours on my knees. Never found the deer !! Trespassed onto private property, got screamed at. got cut up in thickets. Looked hard, me & another hunter.
Did I say... never found the deer.

Sold the gun to LGS for scrap metal prices.
Will never own another Remington.

#30 TJ Ironhorse

TJ Ironhorse

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2480 posts
  • LocationNorth Massapequa

Posted February 09 2018 - 10:23 PM

Worst gun i ever owned had to be an FEG Hungarian 380. Fortunately it was given to me. Sold it for $90

#31 Seancusmc

Seancusmc

Gun Guru

• 720 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted February 10 2018 - 03:12 AM

I bought a Colt Defender once for around $700. It ejected shells directly back into my face every round. I called Colt and they told me to send it back and it would take 45 days to two months to repair it. I was pissed because I had just gotten it. So I brought it to ye olde gunsmith in Deer Park. That guy said he would fix it in a few days for $40. He didnt fix it, but he did void my warranty by using a dremel tool on the ejector and knicked the rails and frame with it too. He also took a bunch of metal off the sides of the chamber to throat the barrel. The gun still ejected casings directly back at my face and was basically ruined at that point. So I sold it to him since no one else would touch it. I never did business with him or Colt again. He seemed happy to buy my brand new and mutilated gun for $300 though.  

#32 tatz45cal

tatz45cal

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 1650 posts
  • LocationLong island

Posted February 10 2018 - 07:46 AM

Masterpiece Arms .380 1 pound (lol) pocket pistol

#33 stokes

stokes

Respected Gunowner

• 111 posts
  • LocationNYS

Posted February 10 2018 - 11:05 AM

The biggist POS I ever bought was a Remington SXS make by Bikal and imported by EAA{why is that important} and restamped a Remington. The gun didn't go boom everytime you pulled the trigger. I called Remington to get it fixed they sent me a UPS slip to send it to EAA cause they where the company that handle the warranty. So mined I got this gun for a really good price brand new the reason was it got a deep scratch in the stock from a gun hitting it on the self at the store and on the reseat it stated that. EAA got the gun and called me not even a day after it was received to tell me that the gun is not warrantiable cause of the sign of miss use{the scratch} and I would have to pay to have the gun looked at. I faxed them the reseat and thier replie was " to bad not coverd". When I ask how much to fix they said 250 plus part and labor over two hours[the gun retail price was $310 most shops had them for 250 to 275} so I said send it back they told me it would cost me 65 buck to have it ship back unrepaired. Well now I lost My S--- on this lady who was given me a additude the whole time. Her pleasnt replie was "65 or they will start charging storage on the following monday 25 a day" CLICK.....
I called remington And when they started give me the " well if they say it was miss used then it was miss used" I read him the riot act after about 15 min he put his boss on the line who in 5 minute had EEA sending the gun back free But refusing to repair it and sent me 4 cases of shotgun ammo. The gun hangs on the wall in my gun room. It dose look good hanging there.

And a huge F U to EAA.

I've heard other horror stories about EAA "warranty" issues.I have a Remington/Spartan/Bikai side by side 12ga "Coach gun" and couldnt be happier with it.Had it about 5 yrs and never had a problem.Its had a lot of rounds thru it,whenever we shoot at my seasonal cabin,4 times a yr roughly,everybody has to try it.Still goes bang.

#34 General.rr

General.rr

Temp. self-imposed ban.

• 4393 posts
  • LocationIn the basket somewhere

Posted February 10 2018 - 07:22 PM

Ksg12

Care to elaborate? ....please? 

#35 General.rr

General.rr

Temp. self-imposed ban.

• 4393 posts

Posted February 10 2018 - 07:27 PM

I have the worst experience with Black Aces 

http://www.blackacestactical.com

Don't have the energy to re-tell the story. Will look up the exchange on this forum and post it. 

If it wasn't for friend's help (ZZRGUY) this would be a completely useless pile of metal. 

He was able to  correct most (most, not all) what was wrong with it in one evening. 

The manufacturer had the gun back 3 times without any success. 

S T A Y    A W A Y. 

#36 General.rr

General.rr

Temp. self-imposed ban.

• 4393 posts

Posted February 10 2018 - 07:27 PM

I have the worst experience with Black Aces 

http://www.blackacestactical.com

Don't have the energy to re-tell the story. Will look up the exchange on this forum and post it. 

If it wasn't for friend's help (ZZRGUY) this would be a completely useless pile of metal. 

He was able to  correct most (most, not all) what was wrong with it in one evening. 

The manufacturer had the gun back 3 times without any success. 

S T A Y    A W A Y. 

#37 SemiAutoFetish

SemiAutoFetish

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 2392 posts
  • LocationWhere the grass is definately not greener...

Posted February 11 2018 - 09:46 AM

Masterpiece Arms .380 1 pound (lol) pocket pistol

had one of these 380's also. actually hurt my hand shooting it and was a heavy POS for a "pocket pistol" Masterpiece my @$$

• tatz45cal likes this

#38 SemiAutoFetish

SemiAutoFetish

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 2392 posts
  • LocationWhere the grass is definately not greener...

Posted February 11 2018 - 09:47 AM

I bought a Colt Defender once for around $700. It ejected shells directly back into my face every round. I called Colt and they told me to send it back and it would take 45 days to two months to repair it. I was pissed because I had just gotten it. So I brought it to ye olde gunsmith in Deer Park. That guy said he would fix it in a few days for $40. He didnt fix it, but he did void my warranty by using a dremel tool on the ejector and knicked the rails and frame with it too. He also took a bunch of metal off the sides of the chamber to throat the barrel. The gun still ejected casings directly back at my face and was basically ruined at that point. So I sold it to him since no one else would touch it. I never did business with him or Colt again. He seemed happy to buy my brand new and mutilated gun for $300 though.  

same issue here, but its a Colt so I still got it ;)

#39 Range Time

Range Time

Respected Gunowner

• 227 posts
  • LocationWestern Suffolk

Posted February 11 2018 - 10:06 PM

I've heard other horror stories about EAA "warranty" issues.I have a Remington/Spartan/Bikai side by side 12ga "Coach gun" and couldnt be happier with it.Had it about 5 yrs and never had a problem.Its had a lot of rounds thru it,whenever we shoot at my seasonal cabin,4 times a yr roughly,everybody has to try it.Still goes bang.

I have an over/under Spartan. I've loved it for years! I'm sure some of them are junk, but they can't all be or Remington wouldn't have put their name on them (back when their name meant something).

My biggest loser is probably my LCP. I was going to buy a Kel-Tec .380, but I was wooed by the newness and sleek lines of the LCP. It's not junk, but it doesn't always cycle well, and it is not fun to shoot at all. My Diamondback .380 is much better. Even just the manual cycle on the LCP sucks compared to the Diamondback. I know the 9mms ones have bad issues, but the .380s must be okay.

#40 Peconic Paladin

Peconic Paladin

Gun Guru

• 2151 posts

Posted February 11 2018 - 10:26 PM

The following are in no particular order and represent guns that I have regretted buying because of the guns themselves (functionality, value, etc). There are several safe queens that i might regret buying now because looking back because i haven't used them a lot, or at all, but I haven't included them here.  

Bersa Thunder - two have broken. Pull trigger nothing happens. One I returned for lifetime warranty. The other I am keeping to get fixed under warrant because I can't return it to wholesaler like the first. 

Ruger LC9  - horrible trigger, bad customer welched on gunbroker, sold eventually for less. 

Ruger LCR - not bad trigger, way too light, very unfortable to shoot. sold it.

Remignton 770 (gun was fine for the money, but couldn't get it to "fit" right for eye relief)

KelTec P32 - carried nearly 24/7 for many years, but shot comparably little. Light, but long (and thus dreadful) trigger. Unfortable. The more I shot it, the more proficient I became, but the less reliable it became. It was always bad with hollow points and then started failing to jam with ball ammo I had fired hundreds of rounds successful. Now I would do Ruger LCP II or LCP Custom.

Walther P22. Bought it because I wanted a more "tactical" 22 that was more like a regular gun rather than my Ruger Mark III Competition (sights kept coming loose, but I don't regret that one yet). Wanted the P22 so I could have threaded barrel before SAFE kicked in. Gun is "meh." I would try the Ruger SR22 if I had to do it all over again. 

Colt 1911 Anniversary Edition of 2011. Stripped down, GI model, still unfired in the box. Paid full MSRP as it was hard to find, Looking back, I would have settled for any Colt Government Model, like the one I bought in recently from an estate. My only regret is that I (had) to overpay at the time. Same is true of my first Colt AR, but I don't regret that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users