Post Interview Question - Suffolk County (licensing/laws) - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Post Interview Question

post interview question

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 KPvette

KPvette

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 459 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted October 25 2016 - 08:01 AM

I delivered my application the first week of March 2015 and was interviewed, fingerprinted and photographed the first week in October. The PO said it could take up to an additional 4 to 6 months and when my wife gets called I would know that they are close to wrapping everything up.

Typically how long does it take once your interviewed? I find it hard to believe it would take that long, it's probably the typical answer (hopefully).

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 6264 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted October 25 2016 - 08:36 AM

I delivered my application the first week of March 2015 and was interviewed, fingerprinted and photographed the first week in October. The PO said it could take up to an additional 4 to 6 months and when my wife gets called I would know that they are close to wrapping everything up.

Typically how long does it take once your interviewed? I find it hard to believe it would take that long, it's probably the typical answer (hopefully).

There is no fixed answer. It can be anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months, before your wife gets the phone call but, as your IO said, at that point, it's only days or a few weeks, until issue.
Gary

#3 William Anthony

William Anthony

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • 447 posts
  • LocationEast Quogue L.I. N.Y.

Posted October 25 2016 - 08:43 AM

I dropped my application off last Friday and fingerprinted and pictures were taken the same day. did you mean March 2016 or was it March 2015.. Either way that seems like a long time. And another 4 to 6 months would bring to about a year which I think some people have waited that long.

#4 KPvette

KPvette

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • 459 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted October 25 2016 - 08:46 AM

It's unbelievable that the county would take 7 months just to get to the interview and then tell me another 4 to 6 months. That would make it over a year for the whole process. Wow... this is what I pay top hard earned tax dollars for. I apologize for my rant.

Just looking to see the members that just received their license (within 30 days) and when they were interviewed.

Thanks in advance.

#5 KPvette

KPvette

Sharp Shooter!

• 459 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted October 25 2016 - 08:48 AM

Nope I dropped off application march 2016 and Interviewed October 2016

#6 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 11553 posts

Posted October 25 2016 - 11:40 AM

You should site yourself down at your library and study NYS Penal law - sections 265 and 400 particularly (there will be references to other sections in those too)

One thing that they constantly abuse - NYS Law requires a license be issued or denied within 6 months from PRESENTATION of application... there's no allowances for backlogs, or short-staffing, or even failure of the FBI/etc. to respond to inquiry.

It's amazing that they treat us like criminals, and waste all this time - PA has you in and out in 20 minutes, Utah processes a license in a matter of weeks....   Here, we're just being jerked around.

• NRATC53, Pat M and ProGodProGunProLife like this

#7 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24742 posts

Posted October 25 2016 - 02:48 PM

It's unbelievable that the county would take 7 months just to get to the interview and then tell me another 4 to 6 months. That would make it over a year for the whole process. Wow... this is what I pay top hard earned tax dollars for. I apologize for my rant.

Just looking to see the members that just received their license (within 30 days) and when they were interviewed.

Thanks in advance.

What jurisdiction?

#8 William Anthony

William Anthony

Sharp Shooter!

• 447 posts

Posted October 25 2016 - 05:18 PM

If he's in Smithtown that would be Yaphank jurisdiction ...correct ?

#9 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 7246 posts

Posted October 25 2016 - 08:08 PM

If he's in Smithtown that would be Yaphank jurisdiction ...correct ?

That is correct.

#10 KPvette

KPvette

Sharp Shooter!

• 459 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted October 25 2016 - 09:15 PM

Yup yaphank it was.

#11 stuc

stuc

Respected Gunowner

• Donated Member
  • 134 posts
  • LocationLI

Posted October 27 2016 - 09:33 AM

So I find myself in a similar wait and have a few thoughts to share. I dropped of my application mid May. Check was cashed days later. At the 5 month mark I called and was told I was assigned an IO and should be called soon to schedule an interview. Here we are now at almost 6 months and still nothing. My thought are that we now have a new commissioner at SCPD and do we really know his position on permits? Maybe we should test him and push this a bit. I am willing to help support a class action suite regarding the excessive waiting period. I believe we have enough people in the community who are now waiting or have waited more than 6 months. They tell us of the backlog, what if we can tap into those waiting and get support from even a percentage of them? I'm sure we can get logistical support from a few 2A groups here in NY and perhaps nationally. I'm not an attorney, nor do I know the letter of the law, so I would look for support there as well. If the suite has enough value, maybe an attorney would work pro bono? Seems to be a lot of knowledgeable folks here; is this possible? We come here and complain about the infringements, how about we take a stand locally.

#12 William Anthony

William Anthony

Sharp Shooter!

• 447 posts

Posted October 27 2016 - 10:58 AM

I would tend to think that  pistol permit applications  may take quite a while longer if you are in the 5 western towns of Suffolk rather than then 5 eastern towns due to the population difference in the towns hence more applications. Although I could be wrong because I have no way of knowing and it's just an assumption.

#13 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 6264 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted October 28 2016 - 07:45 AM

The volume, of pistol license applications, has skyrocketed, in the last 2~3 years, in all of NYS, as well as most of the country. Yaphank is understaffed, as is Riverhead, while neither has the budget to add staff.

Gary

#14 TwentyTimes

TwentyTimes

Respected Gunowner

• 124 posts
  • LocationHolbrook

Posted November 18 2016 - 12:56 PM

I was told similar.

I waited about 7 months for the interview and was told it would be 3-6 months after that for everything to be completed.

I waited this long, I can wait a bit longer - but I do wish it was all over. 

#15 TwentyTimes

TwentyTimes

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 124 posts
  • LocationHolbrook

Posted November 18 2016 - 01:05 PM

BTW...

1. Application in early Feb
  2. A character ref moved and I called to ask what I should do (can I keep her, etc).  I was told i was "just assigned to an IO" in June-ish (?)
  3. I received call, I was OK in regards to the reference and I could use her or obtain a new 1 (my choice) and he would be calling back to schedule within a few days
  4. Called back less than a week later, interview set for late September (which coincides with my busy time at work and personal.
  5. Interview went well.  Officer seemed like a good guy.  He told me it would be 3-6 more months.  He said it'll likely be 5.
  6. 1 reference was getting married (same that moved) and I simply could not get a chance to go see her with the exception on her wedding day (not the right time) - just got her signature and mailed back forms.
  7. The waiting continues.

I'm anxious and would like this to be finalized.  I believe with the recent election, a lot of people thought HRC was going to win and she's anti-2 so that likely caused an increase in apps.

#16 KPvette

KPvette

Sharp Shooter!

• 459 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted December 06 2016 - 01:10 PM

So another long 45 days pass since I started this post and still nothing.  I called a couple of weeks ago and left a voice mail for the IO and never received a call back.  My premise for the call was to confirm she received a piece of missing information.  The waiting is driving me nuts.  Its just about 9 months and still patiently waiting.   :wacko  :wacko  :wacko One can only do so much research on what to buy.  Just keep saving $$ while I wait.

#17 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24742 posts

Posted December 06 2016 - 04:57 PM

The volume, of pistol license applications, has skyrocketed, in the last 2~3 years, in all of NYS, as well as most of the country. Yaphank is understaffed, as is Riverhead, while neither has the budget to add staff.

Gary

and NONE of that is an acceptable excuse for going past 6 months. State law is very clear on that

• Parashooter likes this

#18 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 11553 posts

Posted December 06 2016 - 05:30 PM

I would tend to think that  pistol permit applications  may take quite a while longer if you are in the 5 western towns of Suffolk rather than then 5 eastern towns due to the population difference in the towns hence more applications. Although I could be wrong because I have no way of knowing and it's just an assumption.

So another long 45 days pass since I started this post and still nothing.  I called a couple of weeks ago and left a voice mail for the IO and never received a call back.  My premise for the call was to confirm she received a piece of missing information.  The waiting is driving me nuts.  Its just about 9 months and still patiently waiting.   :wacko  :wacko  :wacko One can only do so much research on what to buy.  Just keep saving $$ while I wait.

One of our members here is an attorney, who volunteered his time & effort to create a template for an Article 78... Which has worked to grease the wheels for a few here....

Remember STATE LAW says SIX MONTHS from date of "presentation of application" and SPECIFICALLY says short-staffing is not an acceptable excuse to delay processing an applicant's license.

• NRATC53 likes this

#19 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Administrators
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 11496 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted December 06 2016 - 07:25 PM

I got mine 6 or seven years ago it took six month to the day to get it. If I remember correctly I called to drop off my app and got interviewed the same day.

#20 LarryD23

LarryD23

Gun Guru

• 985 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted December 06 2016 - 07:31 PM

One of our members here is an attorney, who volunteered his time & effort to create a template for an Article 78... Which has worked to grease the wheels for a few here....

Remember STATE LAW says SIX MONTHS from date of "presentation of application" and SPECIFICALLY says short-staffing is not an acceptable excuse to delay processing an applicant's license.

One month ago I received my permit from SCPD. It was almost six months to the day from the date of my interview. I was puzzled as to why I was given a second application to have initialed by my references, signed by me and resubmitted to SCPD when I had my interview. While I am not a lawyer, I am betting that they are considering this the "official" application and counting their "presentation of application" six month requirement from the date of the interview. I certainly made no sense that I had to run around having my references initial a second application.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: post, interview, question

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users