My new Henry All Weather rifle (PICS) - Page 3 - Other [Rifles] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

My new Henry All Weather rifle (PICS)

my new henry all weather rifle pics

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 typhoon4x4

typhoon4x4

Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSUFFOLK

Posted March 07 2017 - 11:35 PM

love that rifle

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#42 psydaddy

psydaddy

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 4551 posts
  • LocationEmerald Isle, NC

Posted March 26 2017 - 10:44 AM

Beautiful. Use it well.

#43 K Williams

K Williams

Respected Gunowner

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 214 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted September 28 2017 - 02:03 PM

This will be my next .45-70 rifle.

Edited by K Williams, September 28 2017 - 02:13 PM.

#44 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 11237 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted September 28 2017 - 02:27 PM

The big issue with the Henry is loading it and unloading. The older Marlins in stainless would be a better option for hunting.
  • ProGodProGunProLife likes this

#45 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11237 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted September 28 2017 - 02:43 PM

I was going to buy a Henry 45-70 back in the spring. The feedback I got back wasn't positive for my hunting needs. Now I will be looking on GunBroker and searching the gunshops for an older 45-70 model.

#46 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Administrators
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 11496 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted September 28 2017 - 05:25 PM

For hunting I don't see a issue with loading and unload. Even with the marlin you have to jack out each round. Loading you have the bolt closed and slide the tube out load put the tube down. On bother gun you would be loading a empty gun with the hammer down and chamber empty. Now for home protectoin I would prefer a loading gate bit then again I would not be using a 45-70 For home protectoin.

How many times you plan to shot that poor animal with that cannon and isn't the law 5 round for hunring.

#47 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11237 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted September 28 2017 - 05:43 PM

For hunting I don't see a issue with loading and unload. Even with the marlin you have to jack out each round. Loading you have the bolt closed and slide the tube out load put the tube down. On bother gun you would be loading a empty gun with the hammer down and chamber empty. Now for home protectoin I would prefer a loading gate bit then again I would not be using a 45-70 For home protectoin.
How many times you plan to shot that poor animal with that cannon and isn't the law 5 round for hunring.

This is the problem that happened to a hunter. While he was unloading his Henry at night in the snow. He lost his tube. In the cold sitting in a stand for hours things happen. For hunting in optimal conditions, it will work. Hunting for hours in the cold weather in snow conditions didn't work so well.

#48 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Administrators
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 11496 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted September 28 2017 - 07:19 PM

I would never pull my tube to unload I'd rack them out one by one I like I do with my Marlins. 

#49 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11237 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted September 28 2017 - 07:59 PM

I would never pull my tube to unload I'd rack them out one by one I like I do with my Marlins.

I agree, but during a hunt. Long hours of sitting in a deer stand will cause fatigue.
Unloading is usually done at dark. Things get lost. I feel the older Marlin has a proven track record for reliability. Loading requires you remove the tube. In an outdoor environment, debris can get inside the tube.

#50 Wowzer

Wowzer

Gun Guru

• 716 posts
  • LocationNassau county

Posted November 28 2018 - 06:22 PM

So I'm guessing you're not a huge musket fan...

I think there is a major difference between a musket which is presumably safe before you put the cap on vs a tube magazine with you putting your hand over the muzzle when there may be a live round in the chamber. I have a henry in .22 and I load it with the chamber open, but still am leery of it, as one of the major rules of firearms is not to point the muzzle at anything you aren't willing to destroy.

#51 desmodronic

desmodronic

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationIslip

Posted January 05 2019 - 07:48 PM

i love Henry and have a Goldenboy. But, I don't really like the idea of putting by hand up by the muzzle to put the follower back into a rifle with 45/70 rounds. Put a side loading gate on a Henry and I would buy it in a second.

I just bought a Henry AW in 357.......and this worried me as well, what I do is back out the tube and then put the ammo in the slot under the rifle.Then you can slide the tube back without putting your hand in front of the gun.It’s a bit fiddley but after practice it gets easier.

So now you have an excuse to buy one......

#52 desmodronic

desmodronic

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationIslip

Posted January 05 2019 - 07:50 PM

I just bought one of these in 357......fun gun.

Attached Files

• K Williams and boosti like this

#53 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11237 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted January 06 2019 - 06:58 AM

I just bought one of these in 357......fun gun.

Congratulations...Henry makes a nice quality rifle. If you ever have an issue with it, the customer service is excellent. The owner of the company is known to answer the phone.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: my, new, henry, all, weather, rifle, pics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users