Suffolk Pistol permit Questions - Suffolk County (licensing/laws) - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Suffolk Pistol permit Questions

suffolk pistol permit questions

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 PerfectoShot

PerfectoShot

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 766 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted October 20 2016 - 02:07 AM

Hi everyone, This is my first post since most of the time i was lurking around on here for awhile anyway i was thinking to apply for pistol permit but the real problem is i moved from East Suffolk to West Suffolk less than a year ago so i don't know if i can use references from East area since there's 2 different Pistol permit office in both area.. Also i noticed i can't even use my own relatives but is there any way to use atleast one of them since all of my friends are Anti-gun or Doesn't Believe in Pistols Which is absolutely ridiculous.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 liseverewx

liseverewx

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1690 posts

Posted October 20 2016 - 05:57 AM

You will goto scpd in yaphank to apply.
Unfortunatley family cannot be used as a reference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#3 BLAMMO

BLAMMO

Lousy Shot

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 16247 posts
  • LocationTrapped behind enemy lines

Posted October 20 2016 - 06:16 AM

:welcome
  • PerfectoShot likes this

#4 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 6292 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted October 20 2016 - 06:35 AM

Hi everyone, This is my first post since most of the time i was lurking around on here for awhile anyway i was thinking to apply for pistol permit but the real problem is i moved from East Suffolk to West Suffolk less than a year ago so i don't know if i can use references from East area since there's 2 different Pistol permit office in both area.. Also i noticed i can't even use my own relatives but is there any way to use atleast one of them since all of my friends are Anti-gun or Doesn't Believe in Pistols Which is absolutely ridiculous.

You can use references from anywhere in NYS. They just prefer that your references be Suffolk County residents.
Gary
  • Rugerville Resident and PerfectoShot like this

#5 PerfectoShot

PerfectoShot

Gun Guru

• 766 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted October 20 2016 - 01:37 PM

Thanks everyone!

#6 Rugerville Resident

Rugerville Resident

Sharp Shooter!

• 365 posts

Posted October 21 2016 - 09:03 PM

Welcome!

#7 grifhunter

grifhunter

Sifting Through the Ruins

• Club LIF Member
  • 7937 posts
  • LocationTraffic congestion Exits 43-49

Posted October 21 2016 - 09:55 PM

Amazing how many applicants are deterred to one degree or another by the references thing.

#8 LI Ammo

LI Ammo

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Established Member, Club LIF Member

• 1020 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted October 22 2016 - 01:57 PM

Amazing how many applicants are deterred to one degree or another by the references thing.

Thinking back to when I was a young man working 7-day weeks and not having many friends (exactly the same as now, come to think of it) I cannot remember if I had four references that I would want to ask to sign on a handgun permit. I always kept those things to myself, and still do as much as possible.
  • PerfectoShot likes this

#9 d73805

d73805

Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 29 posts
  • LocationBay Shore

Posted October 22 2016 - 05:07 PM

Your friends may surprise you. When I was filling out my application last November, I needed 4 references just like you. Most of my friends are pretty liberal, but I picked four who know me well and trust me. All four filled them out with no problems. Turns out, one already had his license, which I didn't know about, and one applied right after I had him fill out my reference form.
Just like LIAMMO, gun owners tend to keep those things to themselves.

#10 Camo

Camo

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 932 posts

Posted October 23 2016 - 07:37 AM

the references views on guns isn't the issue , it is whether or not they (are used as a character) reference for you as to whether or not YOU are responsible to own and handle a firearm safely. And if they are friends they will not let their political agenda interfere with you getting a lic.

#11 William Anthony

William Anthony

Sharp Shooter!

• 447 posts
  • LocationEast Quogue L.I. N.Y.

Posted November 15 2016 - 10:36 AM

If you have already dropped off you're permit application and get into an accident (a minor fender bender) and the police were called are you supposed to report this to them  or tell them at the interview or what???

#12 grifhunter

grifhunter

Sifting Through the Ruins

• Club LIF Member
  • 7937 posts
  • LocationTraffic congestion Exits 43-49

Posted November 15 2016 - 11:20 AM

If you have already dropped off you're permit application and get into an accident (a minor fender bender) and the police were called are you supposed to report this to them  or tell them at the interview or what???

Where is it written you need to report a car accident on a pistol license application?  Were you arrested?  

#13 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 6292 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted November 15 2016 - 12:12 PM

No. No need to report it, unless it involved an arrest or a DUI/DWI, on your part.

Gary

#14 William Anthony

William Anthony

Sharp Shooter!

• 447 posts
  • LocationEast Quogue L.I. N.Y.

Posted November 16 2016 - 04:38 PM

OK ..Thanks...Since I don't have access to the application, I didn't remember  if there were any questions about traffic accidents.

#15 Suffolkresident

Suffolkresident

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 80 posts

Posted December 16 2016 - 02:21 PM

I just sent my application in.  I only used Suffolk Residents because that is what the application said.  I don't think they care where in Suffolk.  I live in the Huntington area.  I used one from there, one from St. James, one from Islip and one from Medford.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suffolk, pistol, permit, questions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users