Carrying to Range and Stopping for Ammo - Page 2 - Suffolk County (licensing/laws) - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Carrying to Range and Stopping for Ammo

carrying to range and stopping for ammo

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 6985 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted October 17 2016 - 08:16 AM

Dicks sells ammo & energy bars, if you stopped there you're good to go

I was going to say, maybe LGS should start selling some snacks to keep customers clearly within the technicalities of the PLB restrictions if they stop in for ammo on the way to the range.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 11064 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted October 17 2016 - 09:15 AM

I was going to say, maybe LGS should start selling some snacks to keep customers clearly within the technicalities of the PLB restrictions if they stop in for ammo on the way to the range.

Insurance may not allow the carrying of loaded firearms from non LE inside a business. I know one of the gun shops down in Florida has the sign on the front door.

#23 rlitman

rlitman

Gun Guru

• 2153 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted October 17 2016 - 09:32 AM

LOL. Most LGS I've been to carry MREs and the like.
  • NRATC53 and ProGodProGunProLife like this

#24 Bat21

Bat21

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 106 posts
  • LocationWestbury, NY

Posted October 17 2016 - 01:14 PM

Gun stores don't want you to carry because people can be stupid and waive loaded guns around. Remember, some older guy shot his own finger off at NCPD pistol licensing. That's why we're all treated to three inches of plexiglass now.

#25 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11064 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted October 17 2016 - 03:40 PM

Gun stores don't want you to carry because people can be stupid and waive loaded guns around. Remember, some older guy shot his own finger off at NCPD pistol licensing. That's why we're all treated to three inches of plexiglass now.

A LGS owner was asking me what I would of done. His customer picked up a pistol and was showing his pistol to someone he knew in a parking lot. An plainclothes officer seen him with the pistol. His license was Target only.
Not knowing the complete details, if I seen someone waving a gun. I would call for a uniform marked unit response.
The 24 hour range was the common answer given when I stopped someone and learned of a firearm being carried.
For safety and liability a gun shop would prefer it's customer unarmed.

#26 set2374

set2374

Gun Guru

• 853 posts
  • LocationEast Rockaway

Posted October 17 2016 - 04:44 PM

It's a lot easier just to shoot rifles.... so many less restrictions. Just stay out of NYC and keep them unloaded and locked in the trunk and you're good to go. :)

#27 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4865 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted October 18 2016 - 06:20 AM

Somewhat agree but if you go to indoor ranges, 75' isn't exactly making shooting that rifle as much fun.

#28 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24586 posts

Posted June 16 2018 - 08:57 AM

Insurance may not allow the carrying of loaded firearms from non LE inside a business. I know one of the gun shops down in Florida has the sign on the front door.

Yup, the one by me has that sign

#29 JohnnyYen

JohnnyYen

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationDownstate NY (democrat sewer)

Posted June 24 2018 - 07:58 AM

The 24 hour range was the common answer given when I stopped someone and learned of a firearm being carried.

Is this still a thing? I heard about this years ago, but I didn't think it (still) existed. 

#30 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11064 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted June 24 2018 - 08:24 AM

Is this still a thing? I heard about this years ago, but I didn't think it (still) existed.

Edelmans operated a 24 hour range. They started having a log book for that reason.

#31 Autoinfo07

Autoinfo07

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 803 posts

Posted June 24 2018 - 09:12 AM

Nassau County allows for stopping while carrying concealed at a licensed firearms dealer; from the 5/2018 Handbook.

B. TYPES OF PISTOL LICENSES
1. Target/Hunting License
a. Restricts licensee to possess a firearm in the following circumstances only:
i. within his or her home for the purpose of home protection;
ii. while actively engaged in lawful target shooting; or
iii. while actively engaged in lawful hunting.
Note: A Target/Hunting licensee may also take his or her licensed firearm(s) to and from a licensed firearms dealer, without unreasonable delay, for the limited purpose of conducting transactions or repairs.
Note: For the purpose of hunting, possession of a valid NYS hunting license is required and must be presented to the NCPD Pistol License Section. The licensee must comply with all applicable hunting rules and regulations (applicants are directed to see the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation website at http://www.dec.ny.go...its/6094.html).
b. When carrying a firearm in the above-listed circumstances, the firearm must be carried concealed except while actively engaged in lawful target shooting or lawful hunting.
c. Firearms may only be transported between the licensee’s residence and a lawful target shooting location and/or a lawful hunting area located within the State of New York (also see “Traveling Through New York City (Five Boroughs)” at Chapter 2, Section B of this Handbook).
Note: When traveling to/from a lawful target shooting location or lawful hunting location, only one (1) loaded firearm may be carried concealed on the licensee’s person. All other firearms must be appropriately secured for travel (see terms and definitions).
d. Licensees are authorized to stop only for fuel, nonalcoholic refreshments and/or a meal on the way to and from their lawful target shooting location or hunting area. Licensees are authorized to do this only during the period between leaving their residence and arriving at the lawful shooting/hunting destination or during the return trip. A licensee is not authorized to take his or her firearm to any establishment used primarily for alcohol consumption. A licensee is not authorized to conduct any other non-target shooting or hunting activity while in possession of his or her firearm. In the event a licensee does break for fuel, a refreshment or a meal, he or she is responsible for the concealment and safeguarding of the firearm.
e. A Target/Hunting licensee must bring his or her license and/or firearms to the NCPD Pistol License Section when requested to do so. All firearms must be appropriately secured for travel (see terms and definitions).

#32 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24586 posts

Posted June 24 2018 - 07:39 PM

There are more than a few 24 hr ranges on LI....

• Ricekila likes this

#33 Ricekila

Ricekila

Banned

• Banned
  • Others: Established Member
  • 1906 posts
  • LocationSwindlehurst

Posted June 24 2018 - 08:59 PM

And membership costs are ?

#34 Autoinfo07

Autoinfo07

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 803 posts

Posted June 25 2018 - 07:48 AM

Freeport link; https://www.freeport...new-membership/

• Ricekila likes this

#35 nyc_dawg1997

nyc_dawg1997

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1136 posts

Posted June 25 2018 - 08:57 AM

Dicks sells ammo & energy bars, if you stopped there you're good to go

Wouldn't trust Dicks, don't know where their hands have been (like hiring gun lobbyist... etc)   8) 

• Ricekila likes this

#36 Ricekila

Ricekila

Banned

• Banned
  • Others: Established Member
  • 1906 posts
  • LocationSwindlehurst

Posted June 25 2018 - 09:19 AM

Anyone who walks into dicks except to use the restroom - might as well vote dem-o-crap-itk !

• KPvette likes this

#37 KPvette

KPvette

Sharp Shooter!

• 454 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted June 25 2018 - 09:23 AM

My LGS also sells fresh and frozen fishing bait.  SoI have the meal thing covered.  It's down right sad we have to go through this stuff.  "Land of the free"...  almost not in Suffolk

#38 fenucho

fenucho

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1290 posts
  • LocationAdirondaks

Posted June 25 2018 - 09:38 AM

Cheaper than a lawyer :)

• Ricekila likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: carrying, to, range, and, stopping, for, ammo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users