Moving to Suffolk Cty from out of state advice. - Suffolk County (licensing/laws) - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Moving to Suffolk Cty from out of state advice.

moving to suffolk cty from out of state advice

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 RedFive

RedFive

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted October 08 2016 - 08:43 PM

Hi all. Brand new to the forums but have searched around this site some in the past. Looking for some info.

If one is moving back to NY (Suffolk) from out of state and owns a handgun.

Is it legal to leave it with someone in another state, not transfering ownership, and then go back and get it after Being approved For pistol permit? Bring it and surrender it to PD without being arrested or charged?

Any information or advice is greatly appreciated.

I hear the permit process is quite slow and very involved...

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 STAGMAN

STAGMAN

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 422 posts
  • LocationNC oh yea !

Posted October 08 2016 - 09:00 PM

POPULAR

The best advice I would give is DON'T MOVE BACK !
  • Lostinthewoods, lonewolf5347, Parashooter and 9 others like this

#3 Seancusmc

Seancusmc

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 720 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted October 09 2016 - 12:20 AM

Call the Pistol Licensing bureau in Yaphank and be guided by them. As you can see from the post above, youre going to get a mix of replies/ opinions. People arent happy with the gun laws here. Last I checked, it takes about 6 months to get a license if there are no hiccups. But, since you already have a license from another state, you may be in a different boat than people who are applying for a license that never had one before.
In a perfect world, you should be able to transfer your license if the background checks in Suffolk are equal to the ones you got in your last location, but we dont have a perfect world. We have suffolk county. Which isnt terrible. But its not ideal either. When I applied for my license more than ten years ago, the application said I had to be a resident of suffolk county for more than a year to apply. That may be an issue you will run into.
The process may require that you dispose of your firearm somehow and surrender your license before you reapply in suffolk. SO be prepared to do that. If you are attached to your guns, maybe you can give it to a licensed friend and have him FFL transfer it to you when you are ready. Or pay a local gunstore to hold it in a safe until you can legally reacquire it. Just something to think about.

#4 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• 25936 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted October 09 2016 - 02:57 AM

Hello

#5 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24776 posts

Posted October 09 2016 - 06:33 AM

You will need to have your handguns shipped from an FFL to a NY FFL who is also a NY Dealer in Firearms (handguns). Whether you have a friend hold them or an FFL in your originating jurisdiction until ready to send here is up to you. Apply as soon as practical. Do NOT bring them here with you. This is not opinion, this is what reads in State Law
  • Parashooter likes this

#6 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 11555 posts

Posted October 09 2016 - 07:44 AM

Call the Pistol Licensing bureau in Yaphank and be guided by them. As you can see from the post above, youre going to get a mix of replies/ opinions. People arent happy with the gun laws here. Last I checked, it takes about 6 months to get a license if there are no hiccups. But, since you already have a license from another state, you may be in a different boat than people who are applying for a license that never had one before.
In a perfect world, you should be able to transfer your license if the background checks in Suffolk are equal to the ones you got in your last location, but we dont have a perfect world. We have suffolk county. Which isnt terrible. But its not ideal either. When I applied for my license more than ten years ago, the application said I had to be a resident of suffolk county for more than a year to apply. That may be an issue you will run into.
The process may require that you dispose of your firearm somehow and surrender your license before you reapply in suffolk. SO be prepared to do that. If you are attached to your guns, maybe you can give it to a licensed friend and have him FFL transfer it to you when you are ready. Or pay a local gunstore to hold it in a safe until you can legally reacquire it. Just something to think about.

He never said he had a license in the previous State... Most don't require a license to own/possess....

for the OP - NRATC53 gave you the best answer - DO NOT bring them with you - they MUST be transferred through an FFL... In NY your pistols are registered to you, on your license. That involves a shuffle between the FFL and Suffolk HQ once you get your license here.

Long guns however, don't require any licensing or registration - UNLESS it's cosmetically-challenged (an 'assault weapon') If you've got any standard configuration AR15, AK47 or anything else semiautomatic with a detachable mag, read about the "safe act" first. anything else you can bring with you, no FFL needed.
  • NRATC53, Mad Russian and boosti like this

#7 CJ

CJ

SUPER STAR

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 5508 posts
  • LocationTampa/Nassau

Posted October 09 2016 - 09:05 AM

Don't forget to add to the 6 months that you'll need to fulfill the "personal reference requirement" You'll need to make 3 or 4 friends that live in Sufflok County for a predetermined amount of time then, you need to ask them to sign a piece of paper saying that you are "of good moral character". Family members usually don't count.

NY stinks.

Left last year and will never come back.
  • Mad Russian and Lou G like this

#8 P Martin

P Martin

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1186 posts
  • LocationMassapequa

Posted October 09 2016 - 09:13 AM

A site cant be horrible, only the people can be. 6300 posts and now your a troll? lol
  • Lou G likes this

#9 P Martin

P Martin

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 1186 posts
  • LocationMassapequa

Posted October 09 2016 - 12:30 PM

so even positive posts get deleted now?

#10 RedFive

RedFive

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted October 09 2016 - 01:39 PM

Wow! Thanks for all of the input.

I lived on Long Island For many years so the references are no problem, didn't see anything mentioning how long I need to reside in Suffolk just that I need to know the references for over a year.

Coming back from IL where you need a license to purchase handguns, rifles, shotguns, and ammo...not register them just a permit to buy and own in general.

I did have a question I called the pistol Dept about and the lady that helped me mentioned it could take them up to a year. WOW!!!
That seems like a violation of constitutional rights.

I do have a good friend I could leave it with in PA on my way back but I don't know if that is considered me transfering a firearm to someone out of my state.

Maybe I should just sell it and buy new after I get the permit from SCPD.

Hopefully the two minor Run ins with the law I had when younger won't get me denied.

#11 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Administrators
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 11497 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted October 09 2016 - 03:46 PM

Good luck and welcome aboard.

Selling them maybe a choose depend what they are if it a new gun Glock, Smith, or what ever sell if older you may want to keep them.

#12 grifhunter

grifhunter

Sifting Through the Ruins

• Club LIF Member
  • 7946 posts
  • LocationTraffic congestion Exits 43-49

Posted October 09 2016 - 10:48 PM

Spend some time on the Suffolk pistol licensing section on this site. The threads are many that deal with your issue and the licensing process.

If you don't get your license on the 6 months and 1 day mark, have a lawyer send a letter demanding your license pursuant to NY Penal Law. You'll get it.

#13 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 11555 posts

Posted October 10 2016 - 02:55 PM

(snip)
I did have a question I called the pistol Dept about and the lady that helped me mentioned it could take them up to a year. WOW!!!
That seems like a violation of constitutional rights. (snip)

It is... it is also a violation of State Law - NYState Law requires that they give you a license, or deny you in writing with the casue for denial within 6 months of "presentation" of your application. Currently they are playing games with when the clock starts - trying to say it's after fingerprinting, or after your interview, or some other BS.

(and being short-staffed is NOT a legal excuse either)

Leaving it with your friend in PA is a workable solution - they haven't restricted private transfers yet that I know of, so you can legally give it to him for safekeeping. Once you get your NY License, your friend will have to take it to an FFL to ship it to you through a local FFL.
  • NRATC53 likes this

#14 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 7055 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted October 10 2016 - 03:06 PM

I lived on Long Island For many years so the references are no problem, didn't see anything mentioning how long I need to reside in Suffolk just that I need to know the references for over a year.

Coming back from IL where you need a license to purchase handguns, rifles, shotguns, and ammo...not register them just a permit to buy and own in general.

That seems like a violation of constitutional rights.

I do have a good friend I could leave it with in PA on my way back but I don't know if that is considered me transfering a firearm to someone out of my state.

Maybe I should just sell it and buy new after I get the permit from SCPD.

Hopefully the two minor Run ins with the law I had when younger won't get me denied.

If you have any doubts about being approved due to those run ins, maybe selling it would be your best option. It could save you the hassle of having to sell it later in PA if you are not approved.Plus, you will have the cash, rather than a gun you can't use, for the year or so it takes to get approved.

Also, I am not sure if this has been mentioned, but if you get approved it would be for a Sportsman license which would only allow you to carry to and from the shooting range or for hunting. If your current gun was chosen because it was compact for carrying, you might end up wanting something larger that is better to shoot, since you won't really be able to carry anyway.

#15 marine5203

marine5203

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 111 posts
  • LocationYaphank

Posted October 10 2016 - 06:37 PM

Why the hell would anybody move back to this place, especially Long Island...... I knock myself every day for moving back here 20 yrs ago after getting out of the USMC.....
  • Parashooter and Lou G like this

#16 RedFive

RedFive

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted October 20 2016 - 05:04 PM

Update: Sold it and moved back to Suffolk.

Moved back because all of my family is here.
And you can't get a decent bagel, slice of pizza, or egg sandwich anywhere in IL...and there's no diners. Unfortunately the gun laws and politicians suck...but i will jump through their hoops.

#17 fenucho

fenucho

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1290 posts
  • LocationAdirondaks

Posted October 21 2016 - 08:24 AM

You will need to get disposition letters for those youthful indiscretions.

No matter how minor, if you were arrested, put it down or get denied.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: moving, to, suffolk, cty, from, out, of, state, advice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users