man loses pistol in long beach movie theater - Open Firearm Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

man loses pistol in long beach movie theater

man loses pistol in long beach movie theater

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 CommonSense

CommonSense

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3781 posts
  • LocationSouth Shore Nassau

Posted October 07 2016 - 07:28 AM

http://www.newsday.c...ater-1.12415160

An Oceanside man was charged with reckless endangerment after two young girls found his loaded pistol in a Long Beach theater during a children’s movie, according to police and court documents.
John Abatz, 66, knew he had lost his .22-caliber Beretta on Tuesday, but he failed to inform the police in a timely manner, court records show.
After the girls, 9 or 10 years old, told the staff of the Long Beach Cinema 4 of their discovery, the manager retrieved the firearm and called police, said Long Beach police Lt. Eric Cregeen.

Underscoring the potential danger, he said: “Especially in a kid’s movie, who knows what’s going to happen if somebody picks it up?”

“Fortunately, they did the right thing, and so did the movie theater, and everything worked out OK,” Cregeen said.
The incident happened around noon when Long Beach Cinema 4 was featuring “Storks,” rated PG, and “Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children,” a PG-13 movie.
After the theater manager turned the pistol over to police, officers checked its serial numbers and found it belonged to Abatz, who has a valid gun license.
“One of my cops goes into the back of the movie theater while the movie still is going on, apparently,” and the officer calls out, “ ‘Could John Abatz come to the front of the theater?’ ” Cregeen said. “He came up and was subsequently arrested.”
Abatz was arraigned in Long Beach City Court on Wednesday, court officials said. He pleaded not guilty and is due back in court Nov. 16.

“From what I understand, he’s never had any criminal troubles and has led a law-abiding life,” said the defendant’s attorney, Robert Zuflacht of Carle Place.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 5016 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted October 07 2016 - 07:36 AM

so no one feels it a bit strange that this 66 year old was sitting there in a kids' matinee at noon ? no grandchildren or lady friend mentioned. this guy may be a bit more of a "problem" to the local community than being a "loose cannon", pun intended. Just sayin'.

#3 firemanvin

firemanvin

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 547 posts

Posted October 07 2016 - 07:55 AM

so no one feels it a bit strange that this 66 year old was sitting there in a kids' matinee at noon ? no grandchildren or lady friend mentioned. this guy may be a bit more of a "problem" to the local community than being a "loose cannon", pun intended. Just sayin'.

The guy was likely an oddball, but innocent until proven guilty, right? But the matter at hand - They said a licensed handgun - the guy was carrying concealed. He failed to safeguard his weapon. That's an administrative violation that can lead to license suspension or revocation. And, unless he was retired LE, he would be carrying out-of-class; another administrative violation. They said he was charged. What could they have charged him with?
  • NRATC53 and rlitman like this

#4 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 7075 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted October 07 2016 - 07:59 AM

Some of the details, as reported, don't really make sense to me.

He supposedly knew he lost the gun, but he was still in the theater where he lost it, and was charged for not reporting the loss in a timely manner? If he really realized that it was lost, what was he doing. Was he frantically searching for the gun? Watching the movie? At the concession stand buying Juji Fruits?

I would have to think that he either didn't realize he lost the gun, or realized it and was looking for it. If it was the latter, it shows how Nassau's crazy pistol restrictions, that treat people who misplace or have a gun stolen like they are criminals, can actually endanger lives.

I am guessing he was looking for the gun, and didn't report it right away because he didn't want to lose his pistol license. If he knew that if he called the police they would secure the theater and help him find it, he might have called immediately and the potentially dangerous situation where the kids found it might have been avoided.

He was still very irresponsible to lose track of his gun, but Nassau's policies only make things worse.

Thank God the kids knew not to touch the gun and to tell an adult. I wonder if they attended an NRA Eddie Eagle gun safety program?
  • NRATC53, Yaphank Kid, LongIsland Guy and 1 other like this

#5 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator

• 7075 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted October 07 2016 - 08:01 AM

Just because grandkids weren't mentioned doesn't mean they weren't there. Reporting these days is rarely totally accurate, much less thorough and complete. I would think if he had such a "problem" it would be difficult for him to maintain a squeakyclean record for 66 years that would allow him to get a Nassau pistol license.
  • LongIsland Guy and rlitman like this

#6 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator

• 7075 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted October 07 2016 - 08:02 AM

The guy was likely an oddball, but innocent until proven guilty, right? But the matter at hand - They said a licensed handgun - the guy was carrying concealed. He failed to safeguard his weapon. That's an administrative violation that can lead to license suspension or revocation. And, unless he was retired LE, he would be carrying out-of-class; another administrative violation. They said he was charged. What could they have charged him with?

Reckless endangerment was apparently the charge.
  • LongIsland Guy likes this

#7 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24821 posts

Posted October 07 2016 - 08:02 AM

http://www.newsday.c...ater-1.12415160

An Oceanside man was charged with reckless endangerment after two young girls found his loaded pistol in a Long Beach theater during a children’s movie, according to police and court documents.
John Abatz, 66, knew he had lost his .22-caliber Beretta on Tuesday, but he failed to inform the police in a timely manner, court records show.
After the girls, 9 or 10 years old, told the staff of the Long Beach Cinema 4 of their discovery, the manager retrieved the firearm and called police, said Long Beach police Lt. Eric Cregeen.

Underscoring the potential danger, he said: “Especially in a kid’s movie, who knows what’s going to happen if somebody picks it up?”

“Fortunately, they did the right thing, and so did the movie theater, and everything worked out OK,” Cregeen said.
The incident happened around noon when Long Beach Cinema 4 was featuring “Storks,” rated PG, and “Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children,” a PG-13 movie.
After the theater manager turned the pistol over to police, officers checked its serial numbers and found it belonged to Abatz, who has a valid gun license.
“One of my cops goes into the back of the movie theater while the movie still is going on, apparently,” and the officer calls out, “ ‘Could John Abatz come to the front of the theater?’ ” Cregeen said. “He came up and was subsequently arrested.”
Abatz was arraigned in Long Beach City Court on Wednesday, court officials said. He pleaded not guilty and is due back in court Nov. 16.

“From what I understand, he’s never had any criminal troubles and has led a law-abiding life,” said the defendant’s attorney, Robert Zuflacht of Carle Place.

Lets look at this in another light. He was still in the theater, but didn't notify police in a timely manner? How timely do you have to be? Do you have to report it missing before you lose it?
  • TJ Ironhorse, lynyrd, ProGodProGunProLife and 2 others like this

#8 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Administrators

• 11501 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted October 07 2016 - 08:12 AM

I'm going to go with Snewsday hack this article like all the other gun related articles and the truth is less intriguing.

#9 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 5016 posts

Posted October 07 2016 - 08:13 AM

Just because grandkids weren't mentioned doesn't mean they weren't there. Reporting these days is rarely totally accurate, much less thorough and complete. I would think if he had such a "problem" it would be difficult for him to maintain a squeakyclean record for 66 years that would allow him to get a Nassau pistol license.

Admittedly Snoozeday is a horrible paper, and notorious for inaccurate and slanted reporting. but I tend to think that if this guy had had a grandchild with him the paper would have harped on it, portraying him to be a reckless and horrible granddad as well as a bumbling fool.

#10 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 5016 posts

Posted October 07 2016 - 08:19 AM

OK, he is not a pervert. Just a jackass. http://longisland.ne...ater-1.12416535
  • ProGodProGunProLife likes this

#11 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator

• 7075 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted October 07 2016 - 08:22 AM

OK, he is not a pervert. Just a jackass. http://longisland.ne...ater-1.12416535

That will teach you to assume Snewsday would include all the relevant details! :)
  • pequa1 likes this

#12 Number 2

Number 2

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member, Donated Member

• 1251 posts
  • LocationThe Village

Posted October 07 2016 - 08:24 AM

I bet this Grandfather was taking his grandkids to the theatre and like any protective granddad was carrying to make sure if the SHTF movie theatre thing happened he and his family weren't defenseless victims. That's not the way it will play out media wise, but, I bet that's what happened. I know if I was going to the theatre that is the way I would go. The only difference is I wouldn't be carrying out of class.
  • LongIsland Guy, Lou G and firemanvin like this

#13 MasonEtAl

MasonEtAl

Gun Guru

• 2655 posts

Posted October 07 2016 - 08:40 AM

Carry or Target /Range ?

News 12 did state he was with his grandkids. If he was in the theatre I would guess he did not even realize he lost handgun yet. Where ISIS is publicly encouraging random knife attacks on Westerners I commend Mr. Abatz for upholding his obligation to his family.

#14 firemanvin

firemanvin

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 547 posts

Posted October 07 2016 - 08:52 AM

I bet this Grandfather was taking his grandkids to the theatre and like any protective granddad was carrying to make sure if the SHTF movie theatre thing happened he and his family weren't defenseless victims. That's not the way it will play out media wise, but, I bet that's what happened. I know if I was going to the theatre that is the way I would go. The only difference is I wouldn't be carrying out of class.

Yep. Could very well be.

I was in Colorado last week on business and drove through Aurora. It reminded me of the gun free "hunting ground" we live in here in New York. When I go to the movie theater with my wife it wouldn't be a quantum leap to ankle holster my BG380. Even if carrying every waking hour of every waking day is too much of a pain in the butt, a trip to the movie theater warrants concealing, given the fact of what happened in Colorado; or similar incidences in other gun free hunting grounds But the movie theaters and other locations will remain gun free hunting grounds because the downstate police commissioners consider fully vetted law abiding concealed carry license holders to be too irresponsible to do exactly what the license granted by NYS says we can do; carry concealed. Yes, that is EXACTLY what they are saying about us. We need to change this, and soon.
  • Stainless45 likes this

#15 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 6372 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted October 07 2016 - 09:13 AM

Some of the details, as reported, don't really make sense to me.

He supposedly knew he lost the gun, but he was still in the theater where he lost it, and was charged for not reporting the loss in a timely manner? If he really realized that it was lost, what was he doing. Was he frantically searching for the gun? Watching the movie? At the concession stand buying Juji Fruits?

I would have to think that he either didn't realize he lost the gun, or realized it and was looking for it. If it was the latter, it shows how Nassau's crazy pistol restrictions, that treat people who misplace or have a gun stolen like they are criminals, can actually endanger lives.

I am guessing he was looking for the gun, and didn't report it right away because he didn't want to lose his pistol license. If he knew that if he called the police they would secure the theater and help him find it, he might have called immediately and the potentially dangerous situation where the kids found it might have been avoided.

He was still very irresponsible to lose track of his gun, but Nassau's policies only make things worse.

Thank God the kids knew not to touch the gun and to tell an adult. I wonder if they attended an NRA Eddie Eagle gun safety program?

I have many of the same thoughts as you. If he was still there and close to the handgun, did he also not hear the kids discover it? How would they find it, in a darkened theater? Kids, watching a movie, aren't generally searching the floor. The gun couldn't have moved, several aisles or rows, from where he was sitting, by itself and I can't imagine kids not being loud, about that type of discovery. Too many of the real facts are missing, to be able to do anything but read a sensationalized story, intended for the uneducated, general, non-gun-owning public.
Gary

#16 covertjy

covertjy

Gun Guru

• 4088 posts
  • LocationThe Free World

Posted October 07 2016 - 09:34 AM

I'm all about 2nd Amendment but would any of us sit in a kid's movie with a gun and then "forgetaboutit?"

#17 firemanvin

firemanvin

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 547 posts

Posted October 07 2016 - 09:56 AM

I'm all about 2nd Amendment but would any of us sit in a kid's movie with a gun and then "forgetaboutit?"

And this does actually validate the fact that SOME of us are irresponsible. But in every other walk of life the irresponsible actions of a few do not result in harsh punitive measure being taken on the rest of us. The moron that lost his gun could have just as easily been an LEO or retired LEO, and the entire process would have been manipulated for numerous reasons. Remember not too long ago when the retired LEO showed his doctor his concealed gun and caused an AD? That was a far worse blunder, but it didn't get very much traction, and I doubt the guy had charges bought against him.

#18 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator

• 7075 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted October 07 2016 - 09:58 AM

I have many of the same thoughts as you. If he was still there and close to the handgun, did he also not hear the kids discover it? How would they find it, in a darkened theater? Kids, watching a movie, aren't generally searching the floor. The gun couldn't have moved, several aisles or rows, from where he was sitting, by itself and I can't imagine kids not being loud, about that type of discovery. Too many of the real facts are missing, to be able to do anything but read a sensationalized story, intended for the uneducated, general, non-gun-owning public.
Gary

The only thing I can think of is maybe they sat down, he dropped the pistol, and then they changed seats and he left it behind.
  • grifhunter and NRATC53 like this

#19 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11410 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted October 07 2016 - 10:45 AM

People do lose pistols that are licensed. It doesn't matter if he has a full carry or restricted. His fatal flaw was not being serious about knowing how to carry concealed.

#20 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 6372 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted October 07 2016 - 12:12 PM

The only thing I can think of is maybe they sat down, he dropped the pistol, and then they changed seats and he left it behind.

That is an absolute possibility. At this point, there is almost no option we can rule out, given the limited info, in that article.
Gary

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: man, loses, pistol, in, long, beach, movie, theater

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users