Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Queens man gets two years in prison for giant arsenal

6K views 45 replies 23 participants last post by  Fourth ID 
#1 ·
Queens man gets two years in prison for giant arsenal

BY JOHN ANNESE
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/queens-man-years-prison-giant-arsenal-article-1.2819234

A Queens man whose massive arsenal had enough gunpowder to blow up his and his neighbors' apartments took a plea deal for two years in prison, prosecutors said Wednesday.
Guo Shou, 34, of Rego Park, had 225 pounds of gunpowder, more than 45,000 bullets, licensed but unsecured weapons, an assault rifle and bulletproof vests when police searched his one-bedroom Wetherole St. apartment on Feb. 8.
He pleaded guilty to criminal possession of a weapon, and will be sentenced Dec. 7, according to Queens District Attorney Richard Brown's office.
His apartment is less than two blocks from Public School 139 Rego Park.
Queens man arrested for huge weapons stockpile with 17 guns
Authorities found the arsenal when officers conducted an administrative pistol licensee review at Shou's home. The officers spotted the gunpowder and some ammunition lying in plain sight, officials said.
They got a search warrant and found, along with the gunpowder and ammo, the assault rifle, 14 licensed handguns, two loaded shotguns, a licensed rifle that lacked a safety lock device, unassembled assault rifles, high-capacity ammo magazines, an ammunition press, two Kevlar body armor vests and six Kevlar armor plates, authorities said.

See less See more
#6 ·
So let's see if I have this right. He has registered longarms, and evidently a pistol license, and having gunpowder and ammo in plain sight is grounds for a search warrant?
What is he supposed to shoot out of his firearms, Nerf Balls?
NYC has a regulatory limit, on the amount of powder you can legally possess, within a residence. Also, he apparently possessed some unregistered long guns, another NYC "no no."
Gary

#7 ·
Ironically the handguns are licensed... So from what I gather the queens man like reloading and building ARs. I love how the paper mentioned the school 2 blocks away, as if that was automatically a potential target. It is sad that a NYC resident cannot enjoy the freedom most Americans take for granted. For some people its easier said than done to just pick up and move out. Now with that being said I thing the guy most likely had no criminal intent, he's either just ignorant of the NYC laws or just careless. If you know the cops or any NYC resident ( most are unfamiliar and weary of firearm paraphernalia ) are coming your apartment you think he would have the sense to put that stuff away.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
45000 rounds with all the threats of gun control just hording ammo is a Crime? lets say the gun shoots 2 - 3 times a week has Gun Powder for reloading casings... the man seems set. Part ? not registered 2 years in jail ? when a criminals get caught with a gun and the gun charges gets tossed.....Bottom Line NYC NY

#17 ·
It is hard to tell from the confusing laundry list of clearly legal, apparently illegal and questionable items the NYDN published, but it seems like they probably had him on the "assault rifle" and "high capacity magazines". While most or all of the other stuff may have been legal, they probably could have put him away for much longer than 2 years.

#21 ·
Maybe a way to look at it is if you have one thing illegal, everything else become illegal. even if the balance of the guns were originally legal. In other words, let's say we own one rifle that is legally classified in NY as an "assault rifle" that is not registered, and we also have 5 legally registered handguns. The fact that we have the illegal AR makes us culpable and implies that we should not legally have the 5 handguns, even though they are legally registered. So, in effect, getting busted with just the one unregistered AR can open the door to charges on 6 illegal firearms possessions. I'm not sure if this logic is correct, but it's something to think about.

Now, of course if your a bona fide criminal, six unregistered guns usually leads to a plea deal of a misdemeanor with a year probation because it's a lot more exciting to throw the book at a good guy with a gun than a bad guy with a gun.

#22 ·
I don't think that is the case.

From an earlier story, I see that he allegedly had 3, loaded 20 round magazines. and an "assault rifle". He was facing 7 years, if convicted, according to that article. It is also possible he was over some limit for powder weight and they might have tried to make a case from the "unassembled assault rifles".

I think the DA gave the media the whole list of LEGAL stuff he had to make him seem, really, really scary and the arrest like a major bust of a dangerous man with a "huge arsenal"...and only 2 blocks from a school!

#23 ·
I know this is an ongoing debate, but many Police ballistic experts I know, who are certified to testify in court as EXPERTS, say that the box of parts thing is nonsense. If you have all the parts to assemble an "assault weapon" without any gunsmithing being required, it is an "assault weapon".
This is NOT to say that if you have an assembled ARES SCR and also an upper with a threaded barrel, NOT on the gun, it is now illegal. They say that what is on the gun is on the gun, you just can not disassemble it to somehow make it legal. If the gun is not assembled and all the parts are there, they can put it together and testify as an expert that it is an "assault weapon".

#28 ·
So if one has a 10/22 wearing a traditional wood stock, but also has a pistol gripped replacement stock in a box in the basement he is now in possession of an AW?

Reactions: ProGodProGunProLife
#30 ·
Lets put it another way.
Lets say I have a registered AR-15 pre-ban with all the "goodies".
Lets say I also have an ARES SCR.
Both guns are totally legal.
However, if I remove the upper from the AR and put it on the ARES I am a Felon.
As long as the guns are assembled legally they are legal.
Taking a gun apart does not render it into something other than a gun.

#31 · (Edited by Moderator)
I think you bring up good points, but I don't think there is an authoritative answer as to the legality of possessing different combinations of rifles and rifle parts, that are not attached to each other in a way that would form an illegal "assault weapon".

Obviously, a semi auto with a detachable magazine and one or more evil features is illegal.

After that, there are all types of combinations that could be various shades of grey legally.

a) Two full AR-15 platform rifles. One with a fixed magazine and evil upper, grip and stock. The other with a detachable magazine, and no evil features. Legal? Almost certainly, though they could try to argue that the non-conpliant parts and detachable magazine lower are really an assault weapon, cleverly stored disguised as 2 compliant rifles. That would seem like a huge stretch, of course.

What about the same 2 rifles, with the uppers separated from the lowers?

c) How about a compliant detachable AR with the compliant parts attached, but with all the ingredients to make it into an evil "assault weapon" lying next to it? What if the evil parts are stored in the attic?

d) A detachable mag lower and an evil feature upper or stock, with no compliant parts in sight, separated, but stored next to each other? How about stored separately? What if a set of compliant parts are also stored with it?

#33 · (Edited by Moderator)
So was it a AR or was he building a AK. The gun store I've been in will not sell a AR to a city resident cause from my understanding they are banned in NYC for years as well as AKs. So if that is correct how did he buy a receiver to have parts for a unassembled assault weapon.

One last thing where the hell do you keep 45,000 rounds of ammo in a one bedroom in queens. Glad that place disn't burn.

#39 ·
I don't care about the rifles and pistols especially since he seemed licensed. I guess he had some rifles or rifle parts like receivers that are illegal in NYC?
But honestly, if I were living in an appartment building or multi family dwelling I really don't want a neighbor stashing or playing with 225 (or even 100) lbs of gunpowder. In event of a fire somewhere in the building that stash can cause a lot of unnecessary harm to neighbors and firefighters alike.

The problem with these kinds of people are that they are a bit over the top and the liberal media and politicians use them as their poster boys for new legislation.

#41 ·
I feel sorry for the poor guy. This whole thing is rediculous. Ok, it might not have been a great idea to have 250 pounds of gun powder in a residential apartment building, but you got to love the way the Daily News tells this story and makes it sound like this guy was about to go on a go on a shooting spree in a school because he happened to live near a school and had a "17 gun arsenal". That's an absurd. If he was living in Kentucky or Texas, this would be nothing unusual and 17 guns would be a relatively modest collection for a gun enthusiast. This guy should not be sent to prison for 2 years for this. It's just not right. I wonder who his lawyer was... doesn't sound like he did a good job for the guy.

Speaking of the NY Daily News, how can we forget that this is the paper that brought us this insightful article: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/firing-ar-15-horrifying-dangerous-loud-article-1.2673201 This reporter, Gersh ****sman (what an appropriate name!!), claimed he was terrified and had a form a PTSD from the experience of shooting a few rounds on an AR-15 at a range. "Journalists" like Kuntsman represents everything that's wrong with liberal America. If SHTF, Kuntsman will dead in day. It's all part of the left wing's plan to pussify America and kill off any semblance of "masculinity". God help us all!!!

#42 ·
I feel sorry for the poor guy. This whole thing is rediculous. Ok, it might not have been a great idea to have 250 pounds of gun powder in a residential apartment building, but you got to love the way the Daily News tells this story and makes it sound like this guy was about to go on a go on a shooting spree in a school because he happened to live near a school and had a "17 gun arsenal". That's an absurd. If he was living in Kentucky or Texas, this would be nothing unusual and 17 guns would be a relatively modest collection for a gun enthusiast. This guy should not be sent to prison for 2 years for this. It's just not right. I wonder who his lawyer was... doesn't sound like he did a good job for the guy.

Speaking of the NY Daily News, how can we forget that this is the paper that brought us this insightful article: http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.2673201 This reporter, Gersh ****sman (what an appropriate name!!), claimed he was terrified and had a form a PTSD from the experience of shooting a few rounds on an AR-15 at a range. "Journalists" like Kuntsman represents everything that's wrong with liberal America. If SHTF, Kuntsman will dead in day. It's all part of the left wing's plan to pussify America and kill off any semblance of "masculinity". God help us all!!!
I agree. Also, the headline of the article is totally false. He is getting 2 years for a couple of magazines and "assault weapons". The vast majority of his "huge arsenal" was totally legal...even in NYC.

#44 ·
They won, I don't need a black mean looking rifle. Never had one, and I certainly don't miss it. My life is much simpler without it.
I'm happy with my hunting rifles, and my pistols. All 100% legit. Yeah, I know it's wrong. But I've got better things to worry about.

#45 ·
Wow 45000s rounds lets see 5000 rounds of 9mm, 5000 rounds of 45, 5000s 22, 15000 don't matter. The left media would say he had an arsenal of 200 rounds most people that don't own guns would shake there head and say why would anyone need 200 bullets that so much so whats the difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.