Queens man gets two years in prison for giant arsenal - Chit-Chat - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Queens man gets two years in prison for giant arsenal

queens man gets two years in prison for giant arsenal

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 lestwe4get

lestwe4get

Sharp Shooter!

• Donated Member
  • 443 posts

Posted October 06 2016 - 04:44 AM

Queens man gets two years in prison for giant arsenal

BY JOHN ANNESE
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.2819234

A Queens man whose massive arsenal had enough gunpowder to blow up his and his neighbors’ apartments took a plea deal for two years in prison, prosecutors said Wednesday.
Guo Shou, 34, of Rego Park, had 225 pounds of gunpowder, more than 45,000 bullets, licensed but unsecured weapons, an assault rifle and bulletproof vests when police searched his one-bedroom Wetherole St. apartment on Feb. 8.
He pleaded guilty to criminal possession of a weapon, and will be sentenced Dec. 7, according to Queens District Attorney Richard Brown’s office.
His apartment is less than two blocks from Public School 139 Rego Park.
Queens man arrested for huge weapons stockpile with 17 guns
Authorities found the arsenal when officers conducted an administrative pistol licensee review at Shou’s home. The officers spotted the gunpowder and some ammunition lying in plain sight, officials said.
They got a search warrant and found, along with the gunpowder and ammo, the assault rifle, 14 licensed handguns, two loaded shotguns, a licensed rifle that lacked a safety lock device, unassembled assault rifles, high-capacity ammo magazines, an ammunition press, two Kevlar body armor vests and six Kevlar armor plates, authorities said.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 25746 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted October 06 2016 - 06:06 AM

"Licensed but unsecured weapons". Sound familiar?
  • Mad Russian, baxtersmith, Fourth ID and 4 others like this

#3 mrprovy

mrprovy

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2604 posts
  • LocationSelden

Posted October 06 2016 - 06:29 AM

NY is no place for a freedom loving American... What was he thinking!?!?
  • Mad Russian, RichLegend and Fourth ID like this

#4 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Administrators
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 11494 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted October 06 2016 - 06:47 AM

That boy may have had a issue 45,000 rounds

#5 CITYREPO61

CITYREPO61

Sharp Shooter!

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 425 posts

Posted October 06 2016 - 06:52 AM

So let's see if I have this right. He has registered longarms, and evidently a pistol license, and having gunpowder and ammo in plain sight is grounds for a search warrant?
What is he supposed to shoot out of his firearms, Nerf Balls?
  • Parashooter, Mad Russian, baxtersmith and 3 others like this

#6 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 6263 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted October 06 2016 - 07:00 AM

So let's see if I have this right. He has registered longarms, and evidently a pistol license, and having gunpowder and ammo in plain sight is grounds for a search warrant?
What is he supposed to shoot out of his firearms, Nerf Balls?

NYC has a regulatory limit, on the amount of powder you can legally possess, within a residence. Also, he apparently possessed some unregistered long guns, another NYC "no no."
Gary
  • baxtersmith likes this

#7 Ridetoglide

Ridetoglide

Sharp Shooter!

• 338 posts

Posted October 06 2016 - 07:07 AM

Ironically the handguns are licensed... So from what I gather the queens man like reloading and building ARs. I love how the paper mentioned the school 2 blocks away, as if that was automatically a potential target. It is sad that a NYC resident cannot enjoy the freedom most Americans take for granted. For some people its easier said than done to just pick up and move out. Now with that being said I thing the guy most likely had no criminal intent, he's either just ignorant of the NYC laws or just careless. If you know the cops or any NYC resident ( most are unfamiliar and weary of firearm paraphernalia ) are coming your apartment you think he would have the sense to put that stuff away.
  • Parashooter, ProGodProGunProLife and rlitman like this

#8 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 11553 posts

Posted October 06 2016 - 07:26 AM

NYC has a regulatory limit, on the amount of powder you can legally possess, within a residence. Also, he apparently possessed some unregistered long guns, another NYC "no no."
Gary

It's been discussed before there's a 250 pound limit - he had 225 (and that's fire code not law I believe)

17 guns? got more than that on my pistol license (arsenal, really?)

"Unassembled assault weapons" - uhhh... you means a collection of PARTS??? (so?)

45,000 rounds of ammo.... 2600 per gun - not so much.

"unsecured...." Uh - It's in STANDBY mode.
  • Mad Russian and baxtersmith like this

#9 CITYREPO61

CITYREPO61

Sharp Shooter!

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 425 posts

Posted October 06 2016 - 07:34 AM

Gary

Thanks Gary....
But my question or point is how can they get a search warrant when what is in plain sight is legal?
I lived in the city for most of my life and had the longarms and pistol licenses there. So if he was home and had powder and bullets out he could have been getting ready to reload etc...

I'm not a lawyer so....

#10 TJ Ironhorse

TJ Ironhorse

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2476 posts
  • LocationNorth Massapequa

Posted October 06 2016 - 07:40 AM

Lets keep it simple. NYC. THAT SAYS IT ALL.
  • Mad Russian and Mopar14889 like this

#11 Ridetoglide

Ridetoglide

Sharp Shooter!

• 338 posts

Posted October 06 2016 - 08:02 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if the high capacity mags the daily news referred to were only 10 round mags

#12 Ransom

Ransom

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 6259 posts
  • LocationCuomo's State

Posted October 06 2016 - 08:49 AM

45000 rounds with all the threats of gun control just hording ammo is a Crime? lets say the gun shoots 2 - 3 times a week has Gun Powder for reloading casings... the man seems set. Part ? not registered 2 years in jail ? when a criminals get caught with a gun and the gun charges gets tossed.....Bottom Line NYC NY

Edited by Ransom, October 06 2016 - 08:52 AM.

• Mad Russian, baxtersmith and sparks25 like this

#13 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

• Club LIF Member
  • 6263 posts

Posted October 06 2016 - 08:50 AM

It's been discussed before there's a 250 pound limit - he had 225 (and that's fire code not law I believe)

17 guns? got more than that on my pistol license (arsenal, really?)

"Unassembled assault weapons" - uhhh... you means a collection of PARTS??? (so?)

45,000 rounds of ammo.... 2600 per gun - not so much.

"unsecured...." Uh - It's in STANDBY mode.

Peter:
Fire code, in NYC, is effective law. Also, some of the "parts" he had may have been illegal. Remember, a receiver can be an "assault weapon" and, if not registered, illegal. Also, he seems to have had some other unregistered long guns and unregistered "high cap" mags, from that story.
NYC also requires a gun safe, for more than 5 handguns. That's where they got him, on "unsecured."
What he really had, we may never know. What was illegal, among those guns, also, we may never know.
His attorney may have, also, been a joke.
Gary

#14 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

• Club LIF Member
  • 6263 posts

Posted October 06 2016 - 08:52 AM

Thanks Gary....
But my question or point is how can they get a search warrant when what is in plain sight is legal?
I lived in the city for most of my life and had the longarms and pistol licenses there. So if he was home and had powder and bullets out he could have been getting ready to reload etc...

I'm not a lawyer so....

NYC doesn't have any problems, when it comes to guns, with making up law, as it goes and, if your attorney isn't smart, you go down.
Gary
  • Ransom likes this

#15 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11235 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted October 06 2016 - 09:09 AM

He needed a firearms attorney, go to trial and get off.
  • grifhunter likes this

#16 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator

• 7040 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted October 06 2016 - 09:37 AM

Peter:
Fire code, in NYC, is effective law. Also, some of the "parts" he had may have been illegal. Remember, a receiver can be an "assault weapon" and, if not registered, illegal. Also, he seems to have had some other unregistered long guns and unregistered "high cap" mags, from that story.
NYC also requires a gun safe, for more than 5 handguns. That's where they got him, on "unsecured."
What he really had, we may never know. What was illegal, among those guns, also, we may never know.
His attorney may have, also, been a joke.
Gary

It sounds like most of the laundry list was legal. It is confusing how they list the legal items (registered handguns and rifles, bullets, kevlar, etc.) right along with the illegal ones (assault rifle) and the questionable ones ("unassembled assault rifles). It makes it impossible to know which items he was actually charged over.

I would assume the "assault rifle" was one thing. I am a bit surprised they didn't make a bigger deal of the "high capacity" magazines as those would clearly be illegal.

I would like to know if he was charged for the "unassembled assault rifles" under the unSAFE Act or under NYC's list of banned guns. That is a relevant question to us non-NYC residents. I think most of us are under the assumption that having a stripped lower and parts that could be assembled into a non-compliant rifle is not illegal.

#17 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator

• 7040 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted October 06 2016 - 09:39 AM

He needed a firearms attorney, go to trial and get off.

It is hard to tell from the confusing laundry list of clearly legal, apparently illegal and questionable items the NYDN published, but it seems like they probably had him on the "assault rifle" and "high capacity magazines". While most or all of the other stuff may have been legal, they probably could have put him away for much longer than 2 years.

#18 Beaker

Beaker

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 505 posts
  • LocationWorking in the pits of hell!

Posted October 06 2016 - 01:17 PM

One image I saw was a "canned photo" of what looked like a bucket of Remington Thunderbolts. That in and of itself should be a chargeable crime. Nobody should use that terrible ammo!

#19 wyominglawyer

wyominglawyer

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 93 posts
  • Locationglen cove

Posted October 06 2016 - 02:06 PM

Interesting that his case does not show up on webcrims. Maybe he goes by a different name?

I assume he was overcharged with trafficking related offenses as leverage for a plea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 viper720

viper720

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 109 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted October 06 2016 - 02:53 PM

If you live in NYC, the name of the game is CYA. His t's were not crossed and his i's were not dotted. Shame he had to go down for it but it's NYC, he should know better.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: queens, man, gets, two, years, in, prison, for, giant, arsenal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users