Suffolk County Residents - Pistol License Handbook (9/16) - Suffolk County (licensing/laws) - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Suffolk County Residents - Pistol License Handbook (9/16)

suffolk county residents pistol license handbook 916

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Captrn000

Captrn000

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted October 04 2016 - 04:37 PM

Hi,

There is a new handbook (I can't upload - the file is too large).

http://apps.suffolkc...tollicense2.htm

It would nice if they would list the changes from each revision.

Anyone know what changed?

Thanks

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 anothersteve

anothersteve

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 822 posts

Posted October 04 2016 - 05:56 PM

Nothing has changed in our favor that's for sure.
Later, Steve

#3 iGreg

iGreg

Right-wing Sith

• Donated Member
  • 6176 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted October 04 2016 - 10:43 PM

I see grenade launcher attachments are still not allowed.
  • Swstock likes this

#4 lucija

lucija

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 668 posts

Posted October 05 2016 - 06:19 PM

Sadly enough the "Yaphank shuffle" is alive and well. It really sucks when when you live in a county that' is worse than Nassau when it comes to excersising your constitutional rights :-(

#5 mason852

mason852

Still a David Crockett kid

• Club LIF Member
  • 2618 posts
  • Locationridge

Posted October 05 2016 - 06:36 PM

Wanna bet there are more new "shall nots " than "shalls"

#6 Short Track Hunter

Short Track Hunter

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 1141 posts

Posted October 05 2016 - 07:06 PM

I'm bringing in a pistol from out of state. Family member from out of town left me a pistol. Can I get the pistol shipped to an FFL first, or do I need to go to Yapank 1st. Then buy a plane ticket, then get the pistol in Florida over to the FFL, then come home 2 weeks later? How does this work ?

#7 IlDuce

IlDuce

III%

• 1882 posts
  • LocationRonkonkoma, NY/ Tampa, FL

Posted October 05 2016 - 07:17 PM

ship it to an FFL first (Verify if legal here, you didnt specify what it was) and then worry about yaphank

#8 IlDuce

IlDuce

III%

• 1882 posts
  • LocationRonkonkoma, NY/ Tampa, FL

Posted October 05 2016 - 07:19 PM

I purchased mine from out of state before i even had a license. Had it shipped to an FFL, they held it til my license arrived.

#9 lucija

lucija

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 668 posts

Posted October 05 2016 - 07:44 PM

I'm bringing in a pistol from out of state. Family member from out of town left me a pistol. Can I get the pistol shipped to an FFL first, or do I need to go to Yapank 1st. Then buy a plane ticket, then get the pistol in Florida over to the FFL, then come home 2 weeks later? How does this work ?

A bit difficult to follow your train of thought this late: The owner of the pustol (not you) needs to bring it to a local ffl who will ship it to a ny ffl. You are effectively purchasing a pistol from an out of state seller even though no monetary exchange occurs.

#10 citypaul1

citypaul1

Sharp Shooter!

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 439 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted October 05 2016 - 07:51 PM

Sadly enough the "Yaphank shuffle" is alive and well. It really sucks when when you live in a county that' is worse than Nassau when it comes to excersising your constitutional rights :-(

Don't think so. Nassau pistol license 5 year renewal fee, $200.00. Suffolk is $10.00
  • IlDuce likes this

#11 Nordon

Nordon

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 6493 posts
  • LocationEast Northport, not far from Brooklyn

Posted October 05 2016 - 09:06 PM

Don't think so. Nassau pistol license 5 year renewal fee, $200.00. Suffolk is $10.00

But the $10 for voter ID is unconstitutional due to it being a financial burden, what a joke.
  • TJ Ironhorse, ProGodProGunProLife and Yanke1624 like this

#12 Short Track Hunter

Short Track Hunter

Gun Guru

• 1141 posts

Posted October 06 2016 - 12:14 AM

Do I need to go to Yapank 1st, before the pistol arrives at the FFL? How long is the purchase doc good for ?

#13 Nordon

Nordon

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 6493 posts
  • LocationEast Northport, not far from Brooklyn

Posted October 06 2016 - 04:45 AM

Do I need to go to Yapank 1st, before the pistol arrives at the FFL? How long is the purchase doc good for ?

10 days I believe. Not sure if they still ask for the S/N of the pistol when you pick up the PD., it's been a few years since I bought anything new. You'll need the PD when you pick up the pistol from the FFL.

#14 lucija

lucija

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 668 posts

Posted October 06 2016 - 05:50 AM

Trust me, I spent more than $200 over the 5 year period just in gasoline costs to shuffle back and forth between ffl and scpd. It doesn't help that scpd is "strategically" located in the middle of nowhere and at least half an hour ride for majority of us.

#15 lucija

lucija

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 668 posts

Posted October 06 2016 - 05:58 AM

No, things have changed. Ffl first once the pistol arrives, get a receipt there, go to scpd to get a purchase document, then to ffl to pick up the pistol, then to scpd to add it to the license. They call it a "yaphank shuffle" for a reason :-) So for all practical purposes the expiration date of a purchase document is irrelevant as you are obtaining it after you buy a gun. I think it's 20 days though.

#16 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 6206 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted October 06 2016 - 07:15 AM

First, make sure that the handgun is NY legal. If yes, then, you have the Florida person go to a Florida FFL. Have that FFL ship it to a NY FFL, with whom you have already received an agreement to accept it. When the NY FFL receives it, s/he will give you a sales receipt, which you take to Yaphank, to obtain your purchase doc. Then, you go back to the FFL, pick it up, take it to Yaphank, where they will add it to your license. Than, you go home or to the range.
Gary

#17 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24620 posts

Posted October 06 2016 - 11:21 AM

First, make sure that the handgun is NY legal. If yes, then, you have the Florida person go to a Florida FFL. Have that FFL ship it to a NY FFL Who is also a NY Dealer in Handguns , with whom you have already received an agreement to accept it. When the NY FFL receives it, s/he will give you a sales receipt, which you take to Yaphank, to obtain your purchase doc. Then, you go back to the FFL, pick it up, take it to Yaphank, where they will add it to your license. Than, you go home or to the range.
Gary

Important

#18 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 6206 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted October 06 2016 - 12:55 PM

Important

Bill:
Yes. Good point.
Gary

#19 Swstock

Swstock

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1664 posts

Posted October 06 2016 - 09:04 PM

Anything in there allowing us to stop for gas on the way to the range?

#20 lucija

lucija

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 668 posts

Posted October 07 2016 - 05:48 AM

Anything in there allowing us to stop for gas on the way to the range?

I couldn't find any reference to gas stops, but it appears that you would be allowed to buy a water bottle at the gas station.

here's what the manual says:

Licensees are authorized to stop only for nonalcoholic refreshments and/or a meal on the way to and from their shooting destination. You are authorized to do this only during the period between leaving your residence and arriving at your shooting destination or during the return trip. You are not authorized to take your firearm to any establishment used primarily for alcohol consumption. You are not authorized to conduct any other non- target shooting or hunting activity while in possession of your handgun. In the event a licensee does choose to break for a refreshment and/or meal, they are responsible for the concealment and safeguarding of their firearms.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suffolk, county, residents, pistol, license, handbook, 916

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users