New DSI Range - Page 6 - Suffolk County [Ranges] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

New DSI Range

new dsi range

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#101 DarkStorm

DarkStorm

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Donated Member

• 2723 posts

Posted July 28 2017 - 06:25 AM

I am in the process of getting my pistol permit. I would love to come down. I live on the north shore but was told DSI is a great store. Haven't heard anything about the range although I have looked at the memberships. I might ask for one for Christmas since that is around the time I should be getting the permit.

My question is this. I understand that you rent pistols. I have heard that most places do not rent pistols out and the ones that do require that you come with someone else (to prevent suicides) What is the policy on coming by yourself and renting a pistol by yourself?

There was one pistol I was interested in firing that I do not see on your list for sales. Not sure if you plan to bring it to LI. The Hudson H9. From what I have seen the magazine is 15 I believe. With new manufacturers I assume you only carry products that are NY Safe compliant. Correct?

Once you get your license, you can come down and rent a handgun. There's is no requirement to have a buddy there to watch you. We have range safety officers/instructors on site, at all times the range is open.

Edited by DarkStorm, July 28 2017 - 06:13 PM.

• Mike the Marine likes this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#102 DarkStorm

DarkStorm

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor

• 2723 posts

Posted July 28 2017 - 06:28 AM

I have used DSI's range three times since joining about a month ago. I have had nothing but positive experiences with the range personnel and the other shooters.

Thank you for the positive comments! Our entire range staff is brand new and they have brought a new level of professionalism, training and attitude to our range and training facility. We invite everyone to come down, see/tour the range and meet the guys. I think you will like what you see!

Edited by DarkStorm, July 28 2017 - 06:29 AM.

• Parashooter and LarryD23 like this

#103 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 11301 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted July 28 2017 - 07:35 AM

The Hudson H9 had a recall before being shipped out to dealers. They had to redesign the frame as it failed at the 1,000 round mark.
Glad to see a local gun store having a full line of firearms.
Hopefully bringing back the old Edelman's vibe.

#104 Landlubber

Landlubber

Sharp Shooter!

• 350 posts
  • LocationNassau NY

Posted July 28 2017 - 11:06 AM

Hopefully bringing back the old Edelman's vibe.

Wait, is DSI adding a $500 "pistol permit service"??

#105 DarkStorm

DarkStorm

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor

• 2723 posts

Posted July 28 2017 - 05:59 PM

Wait, is DSI adding a $500 "pistol permit service"??

That would be a "no"!
  • Walker1847, Chief Brody, Lou G and 2 others like this

#106 DanJ

DanJ

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 883 posts

Posted July 29 2017 - 12:56 AM

Any plans to open up the range to non members and charge by the hour?

#107 DarkStorm

DarkStorm

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor

• 2723 posts

Posted July 29 2017 - 05:14 AM

Any plans to open up the range to non members and charge by the hour?

We now allow non-members to walk in, off the street, and shoot. Again, come down, meet our "new" range team and they can discuss all options with you. I think you will like what you see, and hear!

#108 MikeM

MikeM

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member

• 1647 posts
  • LocationEast Northport

Posted July 29 2017 - 12:08 PM

We now allow non-members to walk in, off the street, and shoot. Again, come down, meet our "new" range team and they can discuss all options with you. I think you will like what you see, and hear!

Wish I knew about this. What are the details, costs etc.?

#109 DanJ

DanJ

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 883 posts

Posted July 29 2017 - 12:26 PM

Wish I knew about this. What are the details, costs etc.?

Yeah me too. 

#110 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Administrators
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 11497 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted July 29 2017 - 07:32 PM

That is great to hear is there a age limit my son is 14 is that to young. 

#111 LarryD23

LarryD23

Gun Guru

• 985 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted July 29 2017 - 09:34 PM

That is great to hear is there a age limit my son is 14 is that to young. 

I've been talking to them about that very subject. What I've been told is that a 14 year old (my daughter's age as well) can shoot rifles (you need the NYS Hunter Ed Cert). In fact, as a member my daughter can shoot at no additional charge under my supervision. Glenn told me that they are reviewing their policies regarding handguns. As you know, Mitchell Field won't allow children to shoot pistols, even though it is legal for them to do so Hopefully, DSI will work something out so that our children can develop skills with a handgun as well as a rifle.

• Camaro45th likes this

#112 BrandonS8

BrandonS8

Respected Gunowner

• 221 posts
  • Locationnesconset

Posted November 06 2017 - 08:27 AM

Just want to give people a heads up.  Yesterday I "popped my cherry" and had a 1-1 with Marco from Dark Storm Industries.  

I have had absolutely 0.0 experience with firearms beside going to one of those places in Vegas for a bachelor party and shooting some ridiculous automatic firearms, and taking a basic classroom class of firearm home safety.

Anyway Marco did an amazing job of splitting the hour up between a few minutes in the classroom going over firearm safety, how to hold the gun, proper positioning etc.  Then took me into the range and put the classroom work into full effect.

We started with a glock 19 but actually ended up with a Walther PPQ.  I actually felt way more comfortable with the Walther PPQ, and my shot reflected it.

At the end, I even asked Marco did he think it would be beneficial for myself to sign up for another 1-1 class.  To my pleasant surprise he said no.  He thought I was better off coming in and practicing on my own and then maybe coming back in a month or two for a lesson and seeing where I am at.  I greatly appreciate that and it showed they were not just out for a $$ grab.

I will definitely be back to DSI and highly recommend Marco for anybody looking for 1-1 instruction.

• 2edgesword, DarkStorm, rlitman and 2 others like this

#113 DarkStorm

DarkStorm

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor

• 2723 posts

Posted November 06 2017 - 02:06 PM

Just want to give people a heads up.  Yesterday I "popped my cherry" and had a 1-1 with Marco from Dark Storm Industries.  

I have had absolutely 0.0 experience with firearms beside going to one of those places in Vegas for a bachelor party and shooting some ridiculous automatic firearms, and taking a basic classroom class of firearm home safety.

Anyway Marco did an amazing job of splitting the hour up between a few minutes in the classroom going over firearm safety, how to hold the gun, proper positioning etc.  Then took me into the range and put the classroom work into full effect.

We started with a glock 19 but actually ended up with a Walther PPQ.  I actually felt way more comfortable with the Walther PPQ, and my shot reflected it.

At the end, I even asked Marco did he think it would be beneficial for myself to sign up for another 1-1 class.  To my pleasant surprise he said no.  He thought I was better off coming in and practicing on my own and then maybe coming back in a month or two for a lesson and seeing where I am at.  I greatly appreciate that and it showed they were not just out for a $$ grab.

I will definitely be back to DSI and highly recommend Marco for anybody looking for 1-1 instruction.

Brandon,

First: thank you for the kind words! Marko is a very special guy and having someone here, with his skill set, is truly a blessing. The entire range crew is new, with the longest current tenured team member being here 5 months. Our entire focus is on our customers: Keeping them safe by helping them train and learn how to handle a firearm the right way! Every day we are doing more and trying to enhance the culture of our business by always trying to do the "right thing", by our customers! It's not always about the dollar but, the service. If we do right by our customers, then they will come back. It's a pretty simple concept. While no one is perfect, we are really trying to promote a new type of culture, here at DSI.........that will benefit our customers and the firearms community in general!
  • 2edgesword, Walker1847, M14 Shooter and 4 others like this

#114 svrider

svrider

Respected Gunowner

• 102 posts

Posted March 24 2018 - 07:28 PM

Been a member of Long Island Firearms forums since it started... just haven't been that active lol. Also haven't been shooting much at all in the last few years. I have been wanting to get back to it. Finally jumped back in today. Figured I would try DSI, since I have always been less than impressed and sometimes downright disgusted with my options for an indoor range. All I can say is WOW! DSI is one of the nicest most well run and friendly ranges I have ever been to. Had a fantastic time... I wasn't choking on fumes and I wasn't freezing my ass off. No attitudes...very welcoming. You guys knocked it out of the park. I am trying to figure out if it is cost effective enough for me to get a membership or not... but that is really a minor issue ( for me personally ). Regardless of membership or not, DSI will be my go to spot for indoor shooting from now. Great job guys... keep up the good work. Will definitely be seeing you soon. Had a blast!

#115 DONNYHAN

DONNYHAN

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 66 posts

Posted March 24 2018 - 10:15 PM

Is anyone thinking about purchasing a DSI shooting range membership? I was on DSI's website last night, it looks like they should be opening their range soon. It looks like they will have different levels of membership. I may look into the silver level which is $295 for the year and includes unlimited one hour range sessions. It cost me $22 per hour at Mitchel Field so 14 visits to DSI range I will break even. The only drawback is the range is only 11 yards so it would be only short range shooting. The plus side to this it may finally motivate me to apply for the pistol permit. It seems they are also gonna rent firearms which is also cool. Another reason to get my pistol permit, I cant rent a handgun without one in the great communist state of NY.

well I am thinking to get my permit too. where you at buddy. I am in Suffolk. would you mind we make a team? 

#116 ddphoto90

ddphoto90

Respected Gunowner

• 118 posts
  • LocationLake Grove

Posted April 12 2018 - 09:09 AM

$295 a year is better than $30 an hour, if you go 20 times, your ahead monetarily.

#117 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11301 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted April 12 2018 - 10:49 AM

DSI would be perfect for 24 hours operation.

#118 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7308 posts

Posted April 12 2018 - 12:25 PM

DSI would be perfect for 24 hours operation.

I'm guessing there would be all sorts of logistical and cost issues associated with keeping the range open 24/7.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new, dsi, range

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users