Just gotta get this off my chest - Page 2 - Chit-Chat - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Just gotta get this off my chest

just gotta get this off my chest

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 11230 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted September 22 2016 - 10:10 AM

Or how the owner made $$ off the member's and the hard work the mods put in keeping it going when he was sick or off doing his camper site stuff

The mods started their own forum. In a few years when they sell...Just Saying
  • P Martin likes this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 slowryder

slowryder

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1448 posts

Posted September 22 2016 - 11:08 AM

When I first came on this forum and then joined it, it was in the belief that it was going to be a conduit towards change in status of gun laws in NYS. I contributed towards causes, campaigns, lawsuits, etc. I had hoped that there would have been a PAC or fund started to use towards contributions to politicians that were highly favorable to gun owner's positions and really make a change. And now we have the un-SAFE act that keeps deer from being shot more than seven times, but not people. And in reality will not prevent ONE crime, but puts a lot of burden on Law abiding residents. The information sharing on the forum is exceptional, I wish the action for politicial change to be that same. Only time will tell where it eventually ends up, and it's been shakey off the start line. IMHO

#23 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12178 posts
  • LocationRunning with the spirits of the Nesaquake & Caleb Smith

Posted September 22 2016 - 11:15 AM

....And now we have the un-SAFE act that keeps deer from being shot more than seven times, but not people. And in reality will not prevent ONE crime, but puts a lot of burden on Law abiding residents.

I know you're being sarcastic but I hate the hunting analogy that antis often use and Cuomo used. Hunting is not a right, and it is and has been highly regulated for decades; in terms of capacity, when and where you can shoot, and even calibers, etc. "You don't need 10 rounds.." Well, in most places that was already restricted per DEC.

- Forum greatly changed post-SAFE (got bitter, more political talk, obviously less gun build threads, picture threads, etc.)
- Forum turned into tumbleweed city after the Canadians bought it and the exodus happened.
- Still a lot of great legacy threads and information (custom builds, how-tos, gun history, LI history) on here. The pre-ban days on here were awesome and very gun-focused. A lot of great LI-specific information and pictures (gun related, hunting and fishing related, history related) you won't find anywhere else.

Edited by Destro, September 22 2016 - 11:18 AM.

• CAP1974, Nordon, boosti and 3 others like this

#24 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11230 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted September 22 2016 - 11:32 AM

I know you're being sarcastic but I hate the hunting analogy that antis often use and Cuomo used. Hunting is not a right, and it is and has been highly regulated for decades; in terms of capacity, when and where you can shoot, and even calibers, etc. "You don't need 10 rounds.." Well, in most places that was already restricted per DEC.

- Forum greatly changed post-SAFE (got bitter, more political talk, obviously less gun build threads, picture threads, etc.)
- Forum turned into tumbleweed city after the Canadians bought it and the exodus happened.
- Still a lot of great legacy threads and information (custom builds, how-tos, gun history, LI history) on here. The pre-ban days on here were awesome and very gun-focused. A lot of great LI-specific information and pictures (gun related, hunting and fishing related, history related) you won't find anywhere else.

Destro has contributed greatly over the years on LIF. I very much enjoy the trail cam pictures all caught on his beautiful property. I hope you continue sharing valuable information on LIF for us avid outdoorsman.

#25 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 7040 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted September 22 2016 - 11:35 AM

Destro has contributed greatly over the years on LIF. I very much enjoy the trail cam pictures all caught on his beautiful property. I hope you continue sharing valuable information on LIF for us avid outdoorsman.

I agree. As long as Destro is here the place still has some life.

#26 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• 25745 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted September 22 2016 - 11:54 AM

The home page states that this website has over 13,000 members. I doubt that is accurate but I think it is fair to say this forum has thousands of members. Based upon my recollections this is my list of the members that no longer post here: Pate, Speak softly, Oh Uncle Paul, Peep Sight, Heartless McFly, Barnslayer, Blammo, Capt Will, Covertjy, Dan 0351, Fastphil, FMJ, Grifhunter, John 060404, LiDad, Lovemyglock, Malaka, MickeyBlueEyes, NorthforkSportsman, PostalBob, Racerdam, Sheeple, SouthShoreRob, Steve T, TTSkipper and warmnfuzzy (my apologies if I included anyone who still does post here on a regular basis). That is 26 people out of thousands! Are we saying that these 26 individuals made this forum what it was? Time for us to step up and show those who decided to "take their ball and play else where" that we don't need them to have a successful forum!
  • Gary_Hungerford and viper720 like this

#27 CommonSense

CommonSense

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3779 posts
  • LocationSouth Shore Nassau

Posted September 22 2016 - 12:22 PM

participate or perish
  • VolkoSupply likes this

#28 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11230 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted September 22 2016 - 12:36 PM

The home page states that this website has over 13,000 members. I doubt that is accurate but I think it is fair to say this forum has thousands of members. Based upon my recollections this is my list of the members that no longer post here: Pate, Speak softly, Oh Uncle Paul, Peep Sight, Heartless McFly, Barnslayer, Blammo, Capt Will, Covertjy, Dan 0351, Fastphil, FMJ, Grifhunter, John 060404, LiDad, Lovemyglock, Malaka, MickeyBlueEyes, NorthforkSportsman, PostalBob, Racerdam, Sheeple, SouthShoreRob, Steve T, TTSkipper and warmnfuzzy (my apologies if I included anyone who still does post here on a regular basis). That is 26 people out of thousands! Are we saying that these 26 individuals made this forum what it was? Time for us to step up and show those who decided to "take their ball and play else where" that we don't need them to have a successful forum!

LIF still has the sponsor support who didn't leave. When you have a sick man with young children involved. The good people on this forum stayed and showed him support!
  • Gary_Hungerford likes this

#29 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator

• 7040 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted September 22 2016 - 03:29 PM

LIF still has the sponsor support who didn't leave. When you have a sick man with young children involved. The good people on this forum stayed and showed him support!

Honestly, I think the whole split was unfortunate, but not totally any one person or group's fault. I think poor communication was the main problem.

Paid Club members were justifiably upset because they didn't get their cards and especially the forms that allowed them to purchase from CMP.

Steve obviously had a very good excuse, but that excuse was not communicated well to the members, causing a lot of confusion, distrust and discontent.

That said, I totally understand a father of young children, suffering from brain tumors, letting other far less important thing go. But, by the time Steve's valid explanation was given, there had been too many hard feelings for a lot of people.

A few GOOD people on both sides overreacted and made some overly harsh comments which led to bans, people getting mad because their friends were banned, which led to more bans, and so on and so on.

I think the majority of Club, Donated and regular members had no axe to grind with anybody, felt caught in the middle, and simply went were most of the gun discussions went.

Then the Canadian takeover came which made some suspicious and made some feel the sense of community was lost. Personally, I don't care who maintains the servers, as long as they don't interfere with the content (and the Canadians have not interfered at all, as far as I can tell), but I totally get how people would feel less connected to a forum and community that is not locally run.
  • Gary_Hungerford likes this

#30 Beverly Sheckler

Beverly Sheckler

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted September 22 2016 - 10:14 PM

Maybe people should try to contribute something to the forum.

By contribute do you mean "donate"?

cause I see many people here have a "donated" under their name, you don't.

#31 Beverly Sheckler

Beverly Sheckler

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted September 22 2016 - 10:16 PM

The mods started their own forum. In a few years when they sell...Just Saying

You think they would do that?

#32 Beverly Sheckler

Beverly Sheckler

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted September 22 2016 - 10:17 PM

Ever check how many of them have less then 10 posts?

#33 Beverly Sheckler

Beverly Sheckler

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted September 22 2016 - 10:19 PM

Posted Image
  • grifhunter likes this

#34 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11230 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted September 22 2016 - 10:32 PM

Posted Image

Now that is twisted!

#35 Beverly Sheckler

Beverly Sheckler

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted September 22 2016 - 10:36 PM

Now that is twisted!

I've lurked and read what I can as someone who didn't join for a long time.

if you look back it just seems that way from those that stood behind stuff no matter what was actually going on.
  • Parashooter likes this

#36 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 11553 posts

Posted September 23 2016 - 07:48 AM

Let's be honest and realistic - How many of the supposed "thousands" of members actually post? How many actually cisit on a regular basis?

....How many.... Have only visited, signed up, (to get access to something they were probably searching for) and never came back?

I would have been MUCH different if there was some communication - I think most of us were completely unaware of his health issues..... Also, to be claiming "I was sick" when others see a very active person on another site, just makes people think 'scammer' (OK, I'll give some slack on this, I can understand feeling a little better and going back to work on 'the new thing"... but that's hindsight - the perceptions have already done their damage...)

Ever check how many of them have less then 10 posts?

Or even visit a second time?
  • artburg likes this

#37 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator

• 7040 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted September 23 2016 - 08:05 AM

Let's be honest and realistic - How many of the supposed "thousands" of members actually post? How many actually cisit on a regular basis?

....How many.... Have only visited, signed up, (to get access to something they were probably searching for) and never came back?

I would have been MUCH different if there was some communication - I think most of us were completely unaware of his health issues..... Also, to be claiming "I was sick" when others see a very active person on another site, just makes people think 'scammer' (OK, I'll give some slack on this, I can understand feeling a little better and going back to work on 'the new thing"... but that's hindsight - the perceptions have already done their damage...)

Or even visit a second time?

I totally agree that poor communication was a huge problem. That said, I don't think Steve was "very active" on the camping site. I think a handful of posts were made under his login, which he later explained were made by another person he had working on that site. While people had a legitimate gripe about not getting their cards and paperwork, I thought the camping site thing was blown WAY out of proportion.

#38 dank27

dank27

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 952 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted September 23 2016 - 09:26 AM

Was this thread pre approved by Troop L?

#39 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator

• 7040 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted September 23 2016 - 09:32 AM

Was this thread pre approved by Troop L?

:deadhorse
  • viper720 and dank27 like this

#40 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11230 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted September 23 2016 - 10:59 AM

You think they would do that?

Like any business everybody has a price. I hope they make more than NY Firearms and LIF!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: just, gotta, get, this, off, my, chest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users