Question on Sig P320 .40 to 9mm - Semi-Auto [Handguns] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Question on Sig P320 .40 to 9mm

question on sig p320 40 to 9mm

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 nyc_dawg1997

nyc_dawg1997

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1134 posts

Posted September 16 2016 - 08:13 PM

Just purchased Sig P320 Sub Compact in .40 yesterday online and really can't wait to try it.

My question is, can I just put 9mm barrel in without buying the whole xchange kit, try to spend as little as possible to go to 9mm. Or maybe just buying the slide with the barrel.

any input would be appreciated

thanks

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 230 posts

Posted September 16 2016 - 09:26 PM

No, swapping just the barrel will not work. You'd need the full conversion or find someone willing to sell just the slide assembly

#3 MEGA2899

MEGA2899

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 618 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted September 16 2016 - 10:33 PM

Yeah. You're gonna need the slide also and I believe the mag. I think the .40 mag can only use 357 but not 9mm.
  • NRATC53 likes this

#4 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 11474 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted September 17 2016 - 06:19 AM

Check Midway they have barrel for other gun 40 to 9 that you just change the barrel. I'm looking at one for when I get my M&P. You will need 9mm mags.

#5 nyc_dawg1997

nyc_dawg1997

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1134 posts

Posted September 17 2016 - 03:10 PM

I've read people say it's interchangeable and some say it doesn't, must purchase the kit. Has anybody experience it? is it possible?

I have G23, converted to 9mm with just buying the barrel, I know it's a different gun, but in my mind as long as the barrel fit, it should work. In G23, I sometime use 40 mag for 9mm, it's a hair bigger but it works 99% at a time. When it doesn't, usually it's the ammo.

So, is it the same as P320? or am I completely off.

#6 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

Respected Gunowner

• 230 posts

Posted September 18 2016 - 09:29 PM

I've read people say it's interchangeable and some say it doesn't, must purchase the kit. Has anybody experience it? is it possible?

I have G23, converted to 9mm with just buying the barrel, I know it's a different gun, but in my mind as long as the barrel fit, it should work. In G23, I sometime use 40 mag for 9mm, it's a hair bigger but it works 99% at a time. When it doesn't, usually it's the ammo.

So, is it the same as P320? or am I completely off.

No one makes conversion barrels for the P320 yet, so like I said in the previous post, you'll need the complete slide assembly

#7 FSG52570

FSG52570

Marksman

• Donated Member
  • 85 posts
  • LocationHolbrook, NY

Posted September 19 2016 - 05:58 AM

I don't think they make the 9mm subcompact mags in a 10rd config either...NY sucks

#8 TheMongoose

TheMongoose

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 2290 posts

Posted September 19 2016 - 07:01 PM

If you do plan to run it in a different caliber, remember to have you license updated with the new caliber. Dropping in a new barrel without it on your license is a no-no.
  • boosti likes this

#9 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 10984 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted September 19 2016 - 07:53 PM

If you do plan to run it in a different caliber, remember to have you license updated with the new caliber. Dropping in a new barrel without it on your license is a no-no.

You must have the different calibers listed with the make and serial number with a NY pistol license.

#10 Banzai

Banzai

Gun Guru

• 2242 posts

Posted September 19 2016 - 09:24 PM

Where exactly is this law specified with the barrel registration?

#11 TheMongoose

TheMongoose

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 2290 posts

Posted September 19 2016 - 09:26 PM

PL 400. You have to have each pistol/revolver listed on your license with Caliber. If it's multi cal, you have to have those calibers listed, otherwise you're in trouble.

#12 nyc_dawg1997

nyc_dawg1997

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1134 posts

Posted September 20 2016 - 08:45 AM

PL 400. You have to have each pistol/revolver listed on your license with Caliber. If it's multi cal, you have to have those calibers listed, otherwise you're in trouble.

thanks for the info, greatly appreciate it. Some don't know this and would be a silly mistakes. So do we just go back to NCPD and register the new barrel or slide ?

#13 TheMongoose

TheMongoose

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 2290 posts

Posted September 20 2016 - 02:33 PM

It's not so much registering the slide or barrel, it's making sure the frame is registered in the new and old calibers.

#14 bachi

bachi

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1321 posts

Posted September 21 2016 - 12:26 AM

I don't think they make the 9mm subcompact mags in a 10rd config either...NY sucks

They do , it's a listed item . Just hard to find , try the sig store at sigsauer.com I have seen it there , sub compact 9mm 10 rounders.

#15 bachi

bachi

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1321 posts

Posted September 21 2016 - 12:34 AM

No one makes conversion barrels for the P320 yet, so like I said in the previous post, you'll need the complete slide assembly

If you have the 40sw slide or the 357sig slide , then the 9mm barrel will fit in. You can buy it separately, just hard to find, I have seen them at midway and Brownellls , the sig 250 barrels will also fit and function. There will be some play as there is when you put a 9mm barrel in a g23. The 40sw and 357 sig barrels will not fit in the 9 mm slide , but are interchangeable in each other's slide and magazines.

And you will need to add if you use those barrels in NY

#16 packetloss

packetloss

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 72 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted May 03 2020 - 08:04 AM

How does this work as far as registering any extra barrels?   Do you have to register it before you buy the conversion kits? Do you just go down there and tell them to add extra calibers to your gun or do you need to show them any paperwork?  Do they charge $10 per extra caliber?

It seems for modular guns they should just add it once and list that serial with all the possible calibers, rather than make them be separate lines as it's only the FCU that requires the FFL and it's not really multiple guns.   I don't think they thought this out properly.

#17 a7vette2

a7vette2

Gun Guru

• 809 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted May 03 2020 - 01:31 PM

This makes no sense. My S&W 686 is listed on my license as "357" for the caliber. If I get caught running .38 am I in trouble?

#18 TJ Ironhorse

TJ Ironhorse

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2383 posts
  • LocationNorth Massapequa

Posted May 03 2020 - 01:41 PM

Just purchased Sig P320 Sub Compact in .40 yesterday online and really can't wait to try it.

My question is, can I just put 9mm barrel in without buying the whole xchange kit, try to spend as little as possible to go to 9mm. Or maybe just buying the slide with the barrel.

any input would be appreciated

thanks

Cant answer your question, but I would like to know what FFL is open to receive the gun, and do the transfer? Plus, is the license section open in your county?

#19 LarryD23

LarryD23

Gun Guru

• 978 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted May 03 2020 - 02:49 PM

How does this work as far as registering any extra barrels?   Do you have to register it before you buy the conversion kits? Do you just go down there and tell them to add extra calibers to your gun or do you need to show them any paperwork?  Do they charge $10 per extra caliber?

It seems for modular guns they should just add it once and list that serial with all the possible calibers, rather than make them be separate lines as it's only the FCU that requires the FFL and it's not really multiple guns.   I don't think they thought this out properly.

From PL400: "For purposes of this section certification shall mean that the licensee shall provide to the licensing officer the following information only:  current name, date of birth, current address, and the make, model, caliber and serial number of all firearms currently possessed."

You shouldn't need an FFL transfer to purchase the conversion kit, any more than you need an FFL transfer to purchase most gun parts. 

I would order the parts and once received, head down to the PLB with your handgun and the new parts.

I can almost guarantee that you will have to pay for each addition to your license. Bring your checkbook.

#20 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24560 posts

Posted May 04 2020 - 08:08 AM

Check Midway they have barrel for other gun 40 to 9 that you just change the barrel. I'm looking at one for when I get my M&P. You will need 9mm mags.

If they make a conversion barrel you could use that and the mnags. They make them for the Glocks- OD of the .40 barrel, but 9mm bore. There are .357 Sig units also

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: question, on, sig, p320, 40, to, 9mm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users