ARES SCR help - Semi-Auto [Rifles] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

ARES SCR help

ares scr help

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 burr527

burr527

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted August 25 2016 - 02:18 PM

So I'm installing a bolt catch on my ARES SCR. So simple, right? Well, despite some moderately heavy tapping on the "retention lug' on the plug that has to be removed to install the catch, it won't budge. Am I missing something? I hate to resort to the get a bigger hammer option. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 HyFiveGuns

HyFiveGuns

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 109 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted August 25 2016 - 02:37 PM

That piece should come right out. The bolt catch just slides right in there. It shouldn't really require any force to get it out. Maybe try a little gun oil to loosen it up. The piece pulls up and out and then you just put the bolt catch in its place.

#3 burr527

burr527

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted August 25 2016 - 03:05 PM

That seems to be the drill Marksman, but it's in there TIGHT. I've put some oil around it, going to let it sit for awhile and try again. It sure isn't going to pull out by fingers only.

#4 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 25897 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted August 25 2016 - 05:13 PM

I had the same problem. I took it to Campsite and they got it out. I don't know exactly how since they did it in the back.

#5 burr527

burr527

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted August 25 2016 - 05:18 PM

Thanks GG. I've oiled the heck out of it, tapped it with dowels, brass and plastic punches, hasn't move a bit. Guess it's to the 'smith for me too. So did the bolt catch install ok?

#6 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 25897 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted August 25 2016 - 08:43 PM

Thanks GG. I've oiled the heck out of it, tapped it with dowels, brass and plastic punches, hasn't move a bit. Guess it's to the 'smith for me too. So did the bolt catch install ok?

Yes it works fine.

#7 burr527

burr527

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted August 26 2016 - 06:23 AM

calling Ares (Fightlite) today to talk with them. See how they respond.

#8 burr527

burr527

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted August 26 2016 - 06:40 PM

The response from customer service was way less helpful than I hoped for. I will hold off on any more comments until this plays out however. Hopefully there will be a satisfactory resolution.

#9 CAP1974

CAP1974

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • Others:
  • 1788 posts
  • LocationMassapequa

Posted August 27 2016 - 07:37 AM

Oh Boy, mine was removed rather easy and I installed my bolt catch with no problems. I would take it to a gun smith as something does not sound right.

#10 burr527

burr527

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted August 27 2016 - 09:02 AM

Returning to ARES. They should have it Monday. It's a brand new rifle, something is way out of spec it seems. Hopefully they'll do right by me.

#11 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 11497 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted August 27 2016 - 12:14 PM

Any picture.
A silly question are you drivingit out the opposite direction from you would putting it in.

#12 burr527

burr527

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted August 27 2016 - 03:19 PM

No pics, it's on it's way to ARES. There's only one way to remove it and one way to put the retrofit bolt catch back in. Even a caveman could do it!

#13 HyFiveGuns

HyFiveGuns

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 109 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted August 28 2016 - 08:21 AM

No pics, it's on it's way to ARES. There's only one way to remove it and one way to put the retrofit bolt catch back in. Even a caveman could do it!

I changed mine in less than 30 seconds. If it was that hard, something was wrong. My ARES SCR had a trigger problem the first time I shot it. It got sent back, they turned it around pretty quickly and it came back better than it was. I've put at least 2000 rounds through it since without any problems. Had to replace the gas rings on the bolt but thats more from use than a problem with the gun.

#14 burr527

burr527

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted August 28 2016 - 09:04 AM

yeah. it was like it was welded or loc-tited in there. Don't understand how it could have been assembled that tight, almost like a machine pressed in fit. hopefully it'll be a quich fis, but if it's a dimensional problem not sure how thats gonna work

#15 burr527

burr527

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted August 28 2016 - 09:07 AM

Hy Five, did they make you pay for the shipping went you sent it ?

#16 HyFiveGuns

HyFiveGuns

Respected Gunowner

• 109 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted August 29 2016 - 06:12 AM

Hy Five, did they make you pay for the shipping went you sent it ?

No, the store where I bought it sent it back for me.

#17 HyFiveGuns

HyFiveGuns

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 109 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted August 29 2016 - 06:13 AM

yeah. it was like it was welded or loc-tited in there. Don't understand how it could have been assembled that tight, almost like a machine pressed in fit. hopefully it'll be a quich fis, but if it's a dimensional problem not sure how thats gonna work

If there's something wrong with the rifle, they will replace it. Mine was having a trigger reset problem, they replaced the fire control group.

#18 burr527

burr527

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted August 29 2016 - 09:47 AM

E mailed me this AM, said they received it would get back to me today.

#19 burr527

burr527

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted August 29 2016 - 04:17 PM

Well, I received word that ARES shop has removed the plug with a punch and installed the bolt catch. They " could find no defect in either the plug insert or the lower". So ends the story. Not sure how they succeeded when I failed. Only thought is they probably had a vice that really locked in the lower and got a better thump from the punch. Still confused why some say the plug literally fell out while others are tight as the proverbial bulls n+++s.

#20 burr527

burr527

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted October 31 2016 - 01:28 PM

Ongoing Saga of my SCR....So, I decided I wanted to install the ARES retrofit gas piston kit on my rifle. Note that it's a Gen 2 with the free float Keymod handguard. Talked with customer service before ordering and they assured me the kit would work with the handguard. Not even close. Also some other fit issues. So now I'm trying to find a free float handguard that has enough room to accept the piston set up.  Anybody help me?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ares, scr, help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users