Woman fatally shot by Fla. police officer during gun demonstration - Out of State Crimes - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Woman fatally shot by Fla. police officer during gun demonstration

woman fatally shot by fla police officer during gun demonstration

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 7050 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted August 10 2016 - 08:32 AM

http://www.msn.com/e...scDr?li=BBnbfcL

How on earth could they let this happen? How does live ammo get anywhere near a role playing situation like this? They shouldn't even be using real guns IMO, as it creates the dangerous habit of breaking gun safety rule #2.

PUNTA GORDA, Fla. -- A woman was fatally shot by a police officer in front of more than two dozen people during a live gun demonstration Tuesday in Florida, the Punta Gorda Police Department said, CBS affiliate WINK reported.

During a "Citizen Police Academy" session on Tuesday night, two participants were randomly selected from the group of 35 community members in attendance to be put through a "shoot/don't shoot" scenario.

Students were asked to make decisions on using simulated lethal force in a live role play. During the first scenario, participant Mary Knowlton was struck with a live round and was fatally injured, PGPD said in a press release.

She was transported to Lee Memorial Hospital where she was pronounced dead.

A press release from the department did not identify the officer involved, but said the person was placed on administrative leave, WINK reported.

"I am devastated for everyone involved in this unimaginable event," said Chief Tom Lewis in a statement. "If you pray, please pray for Mary's family, and for the officers who were involved. Everyone involved in this accident is in a state of overwhelming shock and grief."

CBS News correspondent David Begnaud confirmed the woman was shot by a police officer. The incident occurred around 7 p.m. local time.

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement has been asked to conduct an investigation into the incident.

According to WINK, the city's Citizen Academy is a free eight-session course offered to as many as 35 accepted applicants who are interested in learning local civics, according to Punta Gorda's official website. The class meets biweekly on Tuesdays at different government buildings, though the website says courses are only offered from January to May.

Photos posted in a March PGPD Facebook album titled "Citizen's Academy 2016" show adult students in a classroom and watching what appears to be live demonstrations.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 covertjy

covertjy

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 4046 posts
  • LocationThe Free World

Posted August 10 2016 - 08:41 AM

How on God's earth could a gun with live ammo wind up in this role playing scenario? Doesn't that disobey ALL 4 RULES OF GUN HANDLING?
  • Mad Russian and Rightsholder like this

#3 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator

• 7050 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted August 10 2016 - 08:56 AM

How on God's earth could a gun with live ammo wind up in this role playing scenario? Doesn't that disobey ALL 4 RULES OF GUN HANDLING?

Maybe not rule 4. He was probably certain of his target and what was beyond it.

But the other 3, yes. That is why I think real guns should NEVER be used in any activity that involves pointing them at innocent people. Even if you have 10 different people check to make sure there is no live ammo in the guns, it creates terrible habits.

We need to be fanatical about following the rules of gun safety. I am guessing the cop isn't a total moron, he just got careless. We are ALL capable of such atomic brain farts. That is why we need to religiously follow all 4 rules all the time, to protect ourselves and others from our own capacity to screw up. There is an Inner Moron inside all of us waiting to come out and cause death and mayhem. The rules are our only protection against that moron.
  • Parashooter and Mad Russian like this

#4 thetreewisemen

thetreewisemen

Redneck Limey.

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 1601 posts
  • LocationStateside

Posted August 10 2016 - 11:14 AM

Lost for words......and that's a rarity.
  • Mad Russian likes this

#5 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11308 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted August 10 2016 - 11:29 AM

The Civilian Academy in Suffolk did a FATS role play, all recruits go through this training. The civilian academy also allows a ride along which is the most dangerous part of the program. No firearms use should be done in a civilian academy. Most who attend are not pro police.

#6 Vycor

Vycor

Gun Guru

• 1867 posts

Posted August 10 2016 - 03:48 PM

What's the civillian academy boosti, the aux program?

#7 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• 25928 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted August 10 2016 - 04:38 PM

Very sad.

#8 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11308 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted August 10 2016 - 05:05 PM

What's the civillian academy boosti, the aux program?

Not an Auxiliary Police course... The Civilian Academy is a program to help local civic leaders learn how the police department functions. They do visit the police academy during the program. You should sign up if interested. You will meet many people involved in local politics.
  • killian likes this

#9 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Administrators

• 11497 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted August 10 2016 - 07:49 PM

Why would you use a real gun when air soft fell and handle the same as real gun or Why would you not use a simmunition gun. Christ this was so preventable.

Prayer for all involved.
  • ProGodProGunProLife likes this

#10 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 11555 posts

Posted August 10 2016 - 09:59 PM

I was just talking to a buddy down south - works at a range... was telling me about how a LEO got huffy when my buddy told him no loaded guns or ammo in the classroom - "but I'm a cop!"

This incident just proves the point about NO AMMO in the classroom.

I agree- Airsoft, SImunition, dedicated blank gun (that will not chamber live ammo) etc. when being pointed at a student... This should got for police training as well (I've heard way too many stories of shootings during/after training sessions)

Blanks..... can kill too...fired close enough (or if something gets in the barrel - Brandon Lee anyone?)
  • ProGodProGunProLife likes this

#11 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11308 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted August 10 2016 - 10:03 PM

I was just talking to a buddy down south - works at a range... was telling me about how a LEO got huffy when my buddy told him no loaded guns or ammo in the classroom - "but I'm a cop!"

I agree- Airsoft, SImunition, dedicated blank gun (that will not chamber live ammo) etc. when being pointed at a student... This should got for police training as well (I've heard way too many stories of shootings during/after training sessions)

Blanks..... can kill too...fired close enough (or if something gets in the barrel - Brandon Lee anyone?)

During training no firearms were allowed in the classroom. We trained with Blue Glock pistols that shot a pink colored dye. We used face masks to protect you from injury. Many people did get bruised or get a cut from the paint hitting the body.

#12 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24776 posts

Posted August 11 2016 - 06:39 AM

No live ammo, no exceptions. I've been shooting since age 8, training for decades and what do I do when I pick up a firearm in class? Have 2 people verify it is unloaded. Anyone who has trained under me or worked with me on a training has seen this. Horrible, and truly avoidable
  • Parashooter and ProGodProGunProLife like this

#13 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24776 posts

Posted August 11 2016 - 09:00 AM

Any time a simulation is part of the training, you have to go the extra mile to ensure safety
  • Parashooter and ProGodProGunProLife like this

#14 Yaphank Kid

Yaphank Kid

Older Budweiser

• Donated Member
  • 2222 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted August 11 2016 - 08:59 PM

It's a shame that they simulated everything but the gun. Prop guns unable to fire a round should always be used. RIP to the victim.

#15 Ransom

Ransom

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 6259 posts
  • LocationCuomo's State

Posted August 12 2016 - 05:55 AM

Very sad somehow it must have been Trumps fault

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: woman, fatally, shot, by, fla, police, officer, during, gun, demonstration

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users