Thoughts on Savage 11 Scout Rifle - Bolt Action [Rifles] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Thoughts on Savage 11 Scout Rifle

thoughts on savage 11 scout rifle

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jpcool

jpcool

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 539 posts
  • LocationEast Islip

Posted July 29 2016 - 08:44 PM

Your thoughts on the Savage Scout and other similar scout rifles for hunting?  I need an all around hunting rifle for this upcoming season, most  shots would be taken sub 100 yards.  

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 06steeda

06steeda

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 1918 posts
  • Locationnorthfork

Posted July 30 2016 - 06:01 AM

I can't speak to the savage but I can highly recommend the Ruger Gunsite scout. I have two. One is in 556 with the laminated stock and the other is in 308 with the black polymer stock. Both have blued receivers and 16.5 inch barrels and both have "tune able " comps which really make a big difference in recoil mitigation. I have a Burris "scout" l.e.r. Scope on the 308 and a leather wood l.e.r. On the other. Both are 2x7. The ability to mount a traditional style optic is also an option to as Ruger provides rings that will attach to the receiver .While the 556 has only one mag option(ten rnd accumag) that range from 50 to75 dollars the 308 offers the accumag and Ruger also offers a polymer mag in 3,5, and 10 rnd which are cheaper (25 to 40) dollars and obviously lighter. Ruger also offers both calibers in 18 inch barrel lengths as well as stainless finish on both receiver and barrel. Mauser actions on both guns and are really smooth, great handling ,very accurate out to 100 yards( as I've never shot it any further) but I will say I prefer the laminated stock over the composite. I also online purchased both for around $750

#3 whitefoot

whitefoot

Powderfinger

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 2478 posts
  • LocationGONE TO EARTH

Posted July 30 2016 - 06:13 AM

Here's a look at the Savage 11 Scout rifle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgeNtkszYbw

#4 jpcool

jpcool

Sharp Shooter!

• 539 posts
  • LocationEast Islip

Posted July 30 2016 - 10:09 AM

Are scout type rifles ok for hunting whitetail?

#5 yossarian

yossarian

what

• Donated Member
  • 1454 posts

Posted July 30 2016 - 10:18 AM

The only thing that makes it a scout rifle is the barrel length and the scope position. So as long as the caliber will put down what your trying the kill, its no different than any other rifle.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

#6 BLAMMO

BLAMMO

Lousy Shot

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 16247 posts
  • LocationTrapped behind enemy lines

Posted July 30 2016 - 11:26 AM

Are scout type rifles ok for hunting whitetail?

Sure, why not?

The only thing that makes it a scout rifle is the barrel length and the scope position. So as long as the caliber will put down what your trying the kill, its no different than any other rifle.

Light weight too. To me a scout is a general purpose, or all-purpose, bolt gun. Light weight, all-weather, detachable mag, medium range and quick target acquisition. After seeing the Hickok45 video above, I think I still like the Ruger better. JMO

#7 06steeda

06steeda

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 1918 posts
  • Locationnorthfork

Posted July 30 2016 - 01:57 PM

This is my new scout

Attached Files

• yossarian and whitefoot like this

#8 jpcool

jpcool

Sharp Shooter!

• 539 posts
  • LocationEast Islip

Posted July 30 2016 - 07:28 PM

Talk to me more about the scope position. The scope on the scout is more forward facing? Can you still attach regular optics in the standard position?

#9 E

E

Gun Guru

• 3289 posts

Posted July 30 2016 - 08:28 PM

Talk to me more about the scope position. The scope on the scout is more forward facing? Can you still attach regular optics in the standard position?

You would need a rail or mount over the action, but then again why bother with a scout in the first place.
  • whitefoot likes this

#10 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 12183 posts
  • LocationRunning with the spirits of the Nesaquake & Caleb Smith

Posted July 30 2016 - 08:47 PM

Yes. That is WHY it is called a "SCOUT" Only scout scopes are in that position and called thus.

http://www.thesurviv...t-reading-this/
  • whitefoot likes this

#11 jpcool

jpcool

Sharp Shooter!

• 539 posts
  • LocationEast Islip

Posted July 31 2016 - 11:31 AM

So I did some research and understand the main reasoning and specs behind the scout type rifle. So now I will decide between the Scout or the Savage 10 FCP which can be purchased in a 20" or "24 configuration. As mentioned in my post my intended purpose is deer hunting and to gain more rifle skills as most of my shooting is primarily pistol.
  • yossarian likes this

#12 yossarian

yossarian

what

• Donated Member
  • 1454 posts

Posted July 31 2016 - 10:21 PM

I almost bought a .308 savage 10fcp with the desert kryptek stock. But i wanted something chambered in 5.56. I still regret not buying it.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

#13 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Administrators
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 11497 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted August 01 2016 - 12:55 AM

I looked at the mags on most of the Scout rifle the Mossbergs MVP Scout uses ar10 mags. The ruger and savage from what I can find have to use factory mags and they seem to range from 50 to 100 bucks. The mossberg is about 650 from what I've seen in stores.

#14 jarheadsergeant

jarheadsergeant

#1 Grade A Super Stud

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 1287 posts

Posted August 12 2016 - 05:28 AM

I have a Mossberg MVP 16" 308, it is lame

#15 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Administrators
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 11497 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted September 11 2016 - 10:51 AM

I have a Mossberg MVP 16" 308, it is lame

What is your issue with the MVP would just like to hear before I buy one.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: thoughts, on, savage, 11, scout, rifle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users