So I got me a 1903a3 parts kit... - Milsurp [Rifles] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

So I got me a 1903a3 parts kit...

so got me 1903a3 parts kit

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Zami

Zami

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationThe Island... Duh...

Posted July 27 2016 - 12:02 AM

I was at a gun show and saw one of these sitting on one of Sarco's tables. They gave me a price too good to turn down (120) and added an original Remington Barrel for another 120.

Posted Image

I fell into a bit of luck and was able to send my barrel off to be nitrided (we were sending out a bunch of other things to be nitrided and this didn't cost me any extra).

After some searching, I found a receiver with a bolt from J&G sales for $125. The receiver is a Remington, but it came off of a drill rifle. The receiver face was not symmetrical all around. The bottom left of the receiver face was ground down where the weld had been cut off, leaving me with about 65% contact between the receiver face and barrel shoulder.

So... I hurriedly made a spider chuck and then I chucked the receiver up in my lathe and prepared to face it off.

Posted Image

I turned the receiver face down about 10 to 15 thousandths. By rough estimate, this gave me about 75 to 80 % contact between the receiver face and the barrel shoulder.

Posted Image

The picture above is after I faced off about 10 thousandths.

Next, I had to line the wittness/ indexing marks up between the receiver and the barrel (since my barrel was already fitted with a front sight, and milling a new alignment slot for the front sight would be a bigger PITA than turning the receiver face down so the indexing marks can line up and headspacing a bolt to fit.

When torquing a barrel down, a rough estimate is the have the wittness marks come to about 5 to 7 degrees within dead center. This allows you to torque the barrel/ receiver using about 120 lb-ft of torque to line the wittness marks up (depending upon materials and hardness of the receiver/ barrel of course- this is just a rough estimate)

Posted Image

The picture above is almost there... I had to remove a few more thousandths off of the receiver face. I then put the assembly in my barrel vise and torqued that sucked down.

Next was to determine which bolt to use. I had 2 of them. One bolt almost closed on the go-gaugge and the other bolt closed on the no-go gauge but not on the field gauge (which was strange considering how much material I took off of the receiver face). While this would be completely safe to shoot (you can safely shoot a rifle with a lot more headspace than people realize- even if the field gauge closes your still usually ok- but there is a limit), I decided to use the other bolt. I chucked the bolt up in a spider chuck and removed a few thousandths off of the rear of the locking lugs (maybe .007- I cant remember exactly how much).

Now I had a working gun. Next task was to refinish the parts into something passable.

I found a stock for cheap (also from Sarco- man I love that place... a bunch of kooks, but they have SO MUCH STUFF I WANT TO BUY). The stock had a cosmetic crack/ chip in the very rear portion of it. I slightly separated the chipped section from the stock, poured in a helping of gorilla glue and broke out the clamps.

Then I decided to cerakote the metal parts of the gun. I painted the barrel and receiver sniper gray and the bolt and other metal parts I did in a green mix. Well, the green mix didn't come out as I planned, nut I would do the sniper gray over again. I was hoping the green would have a slight green tint and be more of a darker/ blacker color (sometimes you see this on firearms that have a bluing with a slightly greenish tint- think Grease Gun).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And here is the crack on the butt stock

Posted Image

The longest part of it all was cleaning up the stock. It was full of oil and grease that had penetrated the wood. I know everyone has their own secret method of cleaning up a stock, but I use oven cleaner followed by sweating the stock. I had to do that rotation about 5 times to get it to where I looked passable (it was a cheap stock).

After erything is said and done, I have about $450 into the gun. It was definitely worth it for a 1903a3 beater.

**** I know there are many people out there who consider the drill rifle receivers unsafe to use. While some receivers might be (probably not though), this one was perfectly fine (besides the cosmetic issue). The weld was no where near the locking lugs nor had it changed the heat treatment anywhere that was not directly next to the welded portion. I don't remember off hand exactly what alloy was used on these rifles, but I do remember they were high in nickle and chrome (they were a completely different steel from the Springfield Armory guns). These steels don't react the same way to heat as do regular carbon steels as they are more tolerant of it (not by a whole lot, but by a reasonable percentage).
  • NRATC53, Mad Russian and louie lam like this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Mad Russian

Mad Russian

Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!

• Donated Member
  • 22005 posts
  • LocationUltimate irony is admiring a foreign President more than your own!

Posted July 27 2016 - 06:22 AM

DA! Iz good, I like!

#3 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 25764 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted July 27 2016 - 06:36 AM

Nice job.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: so, got, me, 1903a3, parts, kit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users