Whats the reasoning behind two pistol owners not allowed to swap guns at mitchell? - Nassau County [Ranges] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Whats the reasoning behind two pistol owners not allowed to swap guns at mitchell?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Bunsen

Bunsen

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted July 20 2016 - 08:49 PM

I could have sworn i saw a sign there tonight that said only you are allowed to shoot your own pistol at mitchell field and not let anyone else shoot it. If both party's have a pistol license would this still apply? Or is it more of blanket statement to be compliant with the law. Was curious if RO enforce it or not.
  • Fourth ID likes this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Strat688

Strat688

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 5526 posts
  • LocationEast Setauket

Posted July 20 2016 - 09:18 PM

I can only comment on Brookhaven. My buddies and I always swap handguns there, in clear view of the RO's. They haven't said anything yet, so it may just be MF's policy. It does seem odd, though.

#3 DarkStorm

DarkStorm

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Donated Member

• 2723 posts

Posted July 20 2016 - 09:32 PM

It is policy, not law. As I understand it, they do not want to gent involved in policing who has and who does not have a pistol permit. Many other ranges do permit it.
  • NRATC53, baxtersmith, ProGodProGunProLife and 2 others like this

#4 rlitman

rlitman

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 2175 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted July 20 2016 - 09:40 PM

It is policy, not law. As I understand it, they do not want to gent involved in policing who has and who does not have a pistol permit. Many other ranges do permit it.

Brookhaven has a separate pistol section. To get there, you must present your license. Mitchell has no separation between points like that.
  • Peconic Paladin and WTF All Day like this

#5 nyc_dawg1997

nyc_dawg1997

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1139 posts

Posted July 20 2016 - 09:43 PM

we've done it in MF, nobody said anything, my guess is safety reason, they concern if person carrying pistol from one point to another. All you need just one careless individual....

#6 HyFiveGuns

HyFiveGuns

Respected Gunowner

• 109 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted July 20 2016 - 10:08 PM

It is not a law, it is their policy; they don't want the guns moving from point to point. I think what happens is that the RSO's get to know the regulars and if they see that you're responsible and safe and don't move the guns but move yourself between the points, they don't give you a hard time.
  • 2edgesword, TJ Ironhorse and JustPractical like this

#7 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• 25763 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted July 21 2016 - 06:12 AM

The less handguns being passed around the less change of an accident.

#8 Kamakazi118

Kamakazi118

Respected Gunowner

• 278 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted July 21 2016 - 09:21 AM

It is not a law, it is their policy; they don't want the guns moving from point to point. I think what happens is that the RSO's get to know the regulars and if they see that you're responsible and safe and don't move the guns but move yourself between the points, they don't give you a hard time.

This ^ they don't want any cases of negligent/accidental discharge when moving pistols between shooting points. When I have been there with a buddy and we wanted to shoot each others guns, we wait for a cease fire and just return to each others shooting points.

#9 rlitman

rlitman

Gun Guru

• 2175 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted July 21 2016 - 09:41 AM

... When I have been there with a buddy and we wanted to shoot each others guns, we wait for a cease fire and just return to each others shooting points.

And how often did you see a cease fire at MF? You must be very patient.
  • pequa1, TJ Ironhorse, raceradam and 4 others like this

#10 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 7041 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted July 21 2016 - 11:19 AM

And how often did you see a cease fire at MF? You must be very patient.

I think I have only seen one, maybe 2 in probably 20 or more trips there. One was when a guy had the follower from his Henry Goldenboy fly down range while he was trying to reload.
  • kardoc likes this

#11 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4925 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted July 21 2016 - 11:45 AM

Yes, the sign at MF prohibits anyone other than the owner who has said pistol listed on his license from shooting it. DodgeRam explained once its for safety but also stated that policy was under review and MIGHT be changed. As for swapping points during a cease fire, in 12 years I have only witnessed two cease fires. One because the lines came off the crank and two because my cheap partner on a slow day there asked an RO to cease fire so he could retrieve the shells that went forward, lol.
  • rlitman likes this

#12 covertjy

covertjy

Gun Guru

• 4013 posts
  • LocationThe Free World

Posted July 21 2016 - 12:00 PM

Does it sound like it might be fun to try a buddy's gun? If so, it's not allowed in New York. Don't you understand how our laws work?
  • SemiAutoFetish, ceesman762 and Lou G like this

#13 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4925 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted July 21 2016 - 03:02 PM

Its allowed in NY. Just not at Mitchell Field.
  • TJ Ironhorse and Swstock like this

#14 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24742 posts

Posted July 22 2016 - 05:44 AM

It is a range rule, not law - same as they typically don't allow 14-20 yo to shoot handguns under direct supervision of Instructor, which is also allowed under state law
  • Peconic Paladin, DarkStorm and Lou G like this

#15 Vycor

Vycor

Gun Guru

• 1867 posts

Posted July 29 2016 - 04:24 PM

MF is a county range don't forget. So they are going to cover their arses as best they can. Same reason you can't use a cell phone (even outside in the main hallway area)... I can understand/agree with inside the range, but I had someone tell me while I was taking a break/sitting on the bench that I could not use my cell phone. THAT I don't get.
  • 4DR ZR1 likes this

#16 Mr Glock

Mr Glock

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted July 29 2016 - 04:29 PM

That range is a joke anyways.

#17 HyFiveGuns

HyFiveGuns

Respected Gunowner

• 109 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted July 29 2016 - 06:24 PM

I had someone tell me while I was taking a break/sitting on the bench that I could not use my cell phone. THAT I don't get.

Yup... that exact thing happened to me yesterday. Was outside in the hall putting my ears away and took out my phone to check the time; in that time, I was told I had to go outside..

That was, of course after 59 minutes and 30 seconds being told my time was up; when there was absolutely no one else waiting for range time and all of the other rooms were empty.

#18 MastaKing

MastaKing

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationWoodmere

Posted March 14 2018 - 09:29 PM

I never used to have a problem here with this but the last three to four times I went they were being sticklers about it.

#19 LarryD23

LarryD23

Gun Guru

• 985 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted March 15 2018 - 05:38 AM

As has been said, MF is a NASSAU COUNTY range. As such, it is run by the GOVERNMENT. Nuff said?

• grifhunter likes this

#20 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11246 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted March 15 2018 - 05:59 AM

Mitchell Field has many strict rules in place. A few people who are observant may notice the bullet holes.
  • NRATC53, SemiAutoFetish and LarryD23 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users