My First Revolver! +100 to Kim at Karps! - Revolvers [Handguns] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

My First Revolver! +100 to Kim at Karps!

my first revolver 100 to kim at karps

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mills613

mills613

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 650 posts
  • LocationSmithtown

Posted June 05 2016 - 08:44 PM

I've been wanting a revolver for quite some time now...and I've finally got my first!

Thanks Kim for being able to read my mind and cutting me a sweet deal. I love shopping with you guys. I've purchased rifles from Josh and now a pistol from Kim. I just need to but from Alan to get the hat trick!

Ruger GP 100
.22lr
10 shot
SS (The pics don't do it justice. It's not as shiny as it looks. Much more of a matte finish)
Rubber grips with wood inlay
Attached File  Not really this shiny.jpg   143.62KB   8 downloadsAttached File  GP100-10 shot.jpg   152.73KB   8 downloads
This pistol feels so.comfortable in the hand. Very little recoil, if any. My only issue was when I took it to the range. Fired 60 rounds. I didn't have 1 set where all 10 went bang. There were 1 or 2 rounds that would go off. I don't know if it was the same cylinder each time. Used Remmington for 50 and then 10 rounds of CC I high velocity mini mags.

Any of you wheel gun guys have any idea what's going on? I've heard the word "timing" used with revolvers. Is there a break in period?

​​​​​​​Thanks in advance for the help, and thanks again to LI Ammo
  • Dan 0351, Joe Shmoe, ontargetguy and 1 other like this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 11171 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted June 05 2016 - 09:20 PM

Congratulations, It sounds like it will need a return trip to Ruger. It definitely isn't the ammunition ?. I know the S&W 617 can develop a timing issue over a few thousand rounds.
The GP100 is a nice revolver. I owned a stainless GP100 from 1987.
I bought a Ruger stainless single six with the .22 Magnum cylinder. The cylinder is marked to the revolver to match the timing.
I would try a different brand of high velocity .22 LR like the 40 grain Thunderbolt and CCI Stinger. A few hundred rounds single action and double action to see if it continues every set of ten. It might be the ammo in only 60 rounds.

#3 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 25628 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted June 06 2016 - 05:55 AM

Enjoy

#4 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators

• 11489 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted June 07 2016 - 12:25 AM

Strip it down clean and lube then try it again.
Ive had new gun do this till I fully detail them.
  • mills613 likes this

#5 mills613

mills613

Gun Guru

• Donated Member

• 650 posts
  • LocationSmithtown

Posted June 07 2016 - 08:46 AM

Strip it down clean and lube then try it again.
Ive had new gun do this till I fully detail them.

I've always cleaned my semi automatic pistols before using the first time. I took this revolver to the range right out of the box. It looked clean, but I was worried that I hadn't cleaned it yet.

I was under the impression the revolvers were like work horses. They still go bang, even if neglected.

I will absolutley clean it out good. I'll file a range report after.

Thanks!

#6 M-1 Carbine

M-1 Carbine

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2179 posts
  • LocationBayshore

Posted June 07 2016 - 08:56 AM

I picked up a .22 revolver for the little lady, took it to the range and had problems with it ejecting. Gave it a good cleaning and no more problem. You would be surprised what a good cleaning will do even a revolver.
That is a nice gun, I'm so jealous. LIammo did right by me also.
  • mills613 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: my, first, revolver, 100, to, kim, at, karps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users