Memorial Day Parade - Chit-Chat - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Memorial Day Parade

memorial day parade in forest hills queens

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 nyc_dawg1997

nyc_dawg1997

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1139 posts

Posted May 29 2016 - 02:30 PM

We had a great First Time Marching with The Community Today, thought share some pictures

Thank you for all the Troops who fought and are fighting for our freedom.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0198.JPG
  • DSC_0200.JPG
  • DSC_0214.JPG
  • DSC_0218.JPG
  • DSC_0229.JPG
  • DSC_0231.JPG
  • DSC_0240.JPG
  • DSC_0292.JPG
  • Untitled.jpg

Edited by nyc_dawg1997, May 29 2016 - 03:41 PM.

• fsfty, Barnslayer, hawkeye and 2 others like this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Mr. Shotgun

Mr. Shotgun

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationQueens, NYC

Posted May 29 2016 - 03:49 PM

very nice. I live a couple of blocks from the parades starting point. I heard all the bag pipes earlier this morning.

#3 Barnslayer

Barnslayer

Banned

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationPort Washington

Posted May 29 2016 - 04:07 PM

My old stomping ground. They used to have a pretty good parade on Metropolitan Ave. Just noticed in your pictures. That's were this one was!

Edited by Barnslayer, May 29 2016 - 04:08 PM.

#4 Huntington Guy

Huntington Guy

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 9506 posts
  • LocationHuntington

Posted May 29 2016 - 07:20 PM

I've always had mixed feelings about Memorial Day Parades. Parades are celebratory, I certainly agree that we should celebrate the service of those who have gone before us, parades tend to be all about the beer, the shiny fire trucks and the festivity of it all.
For Veterans Day that works in my eyes, not so much for Memorial Day.
The meaning has been largely lost on all but the few affected by their own or a loved ones service.
Reflection, respect and honoring that service and those memories is the reason for the day.

I may be alone in this line of thought but for me, St. Patrick's Day and Thanksgiving are parade days. Memorial Day, say a prayer and a quiet thank you to those we should be remembering. Macy's and the Blue Angels will still be there either way.

#5 Barnslayer

Barnslayer

Banned

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted May 29 2016 - 08:07 PM

I've always had mixed feelings about Memorial Day Parades. Parades are celebratory, I certainly agree that we should celebrate the service of those who have gone before us, parades tend to be all about the beer, the shiny fire trucks and the festivity of it all.
The meaning has been largely lost on all but the few affected by their own or a loved ones service.
Reflection, respect and honoring that service and those memories is the reason for the day.

I may be alone in this line of thought but for me, St. Patrick's Day and Thanksgiving are parade days. Memorial Day, say a prayer and a quiet thank you to those we should be remembering. Macy's and the Blue Angels will still be there either way.

Agree to a point. The parades that are strictly devoted to honoring our war dead are a sign of respect and tribute. Leave out the marching kids and assorted unrelated organizations. I remember the parade the OP attended only many years ago. It ended with a memorial service at Remsen Family Cemetary.

Posted Imagehttp://forgotten-ny....en2-493x380.jpg
  • Huntington Guy likes this

#6 Huntington Guy

Huntington Guy

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 9506 posts
  • LocationHuntington

Posted May 29 2016 - 08:15 PM

Agree to a point. The parades that are strictly devoted to honoring our war dead are a sign of respect and tribute. Leave out the marching kids and assorted unrelated organizations. I remember the parade the OP attended only many years ago. It ended with a memorial service at Remsen Family Cemetary.

Veterans and military, LE and even certain community and civics I am ok with. Not discounting the value and contribution to our community that many groups provide, I don't see the ASPCA, Chamber of Commerce and similar as appropriate. They are all important but in context, the parades lose what I think they are intended or should be intended to express.
Memorial Day becomes a circus at a certain point.
I don't doubt that every American who has given their all for this country wouldn't want us celebrating and enjoying but I think a degree of solemnity is the least we can offer their memories.
Just one mans opinion.
  • Barnslayer likes this

#7 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Administrators
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 11501 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted May 29 2016 - 08:16 PM

It seem like the parade in Setauket in going to be canceled my daughter was told she not marching my son school band was told it off and on of my buddies with classic car was told that their not going looks like the weather shame .

#8 Huntington Guy

Huntington Guy

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 9506 posts
  • LocationHuntington

Posted May 29 2016 - 08:19 PM

It seem like the pradesh 8n Setauket in going to be canceled my daughter was told she not marching my son school band was told it off and on of my buddies with classic car was told that their not going looks like the weather shame .

I think they are still having something at the VFW. Not sure which though. If I find out I will post an update

#9 grifhunter

grifhunter

Sifting Through the Ruins

• Club LIF Member
  • 7961 posts
  • LocationTraffic congestion Exits 43-49

Posted May 29 2016 - 08:37 PM

The Monday parade in Syosset terminates at the public common area, site of monuments to the war dead of past years. There are solemn speeches from clergy, active military and veterans (unfortunately also some cheap politicians- yeah you Marcellino) but it is in no doubt a memorial parade in purpose and practice.

Edit to add that they do the pledge, 21 gun salute, and a wonderful rendition of taps by the school trumpet player, altogether a moving ceremony.

Edited by grifhunter, May 29 2016 - 08:44 PM.

• Barnslayer and Huntington Guy like this

#10 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Administrators
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 11501 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted May 29 2016 - 11:37 PM

Well I used to feel that way I do think it has turned more into a 4th July or summers here parade.
But after attending a funeral in New Orleans for a fall friend/Brother I look at it now more of a celebration of their lives I do believe that more of the meaning of memorial day should be brought to the fore front but it should be to celebrate these hero's not morn them. If that make any sense.

#11 gwbahren

gwbahren

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 801 posts

Posted May 30 2016 - 09:23 AM

The parts that bothers me is the commercialization(mega-sales all over the place), and the "summers here" attitude. Society has let both overpower what is a sacred holiday.
  • Barnslayer likes this

#12 Barnslayer

Barnslayer

Banned

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted May 30 2016 - 10:07 AM

Well I used to feel that way I do think it has turned more into a 4th July or summers here parade.
But after attending a funeral in New Orleans for a fall friend/Brother I look at it now more of a celebration of their lives I do believe that more of the meaning of memorial day should be brought to the fore front but it should be to celebrate these hero's not morn them. If that make any sense.

New Orleans has a tradition of parties for funerals so that's their culture. Fine for them (not for me, but I'm not there so it makes no nevermind to me). What I don't like during the Memorial Day parades I've seen in Port Washington is the crowd stays silent while veterans groups pass. But when their kids from some little league etc go past. Then the parents stand up, clap and yell out their kids names. That's no tribute to our Honored Dead. I guess I shouldn't expect better in a liberal town.

#13 Barnslayer

Barnslayer

Banned

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted May 30 2016 - 10:07 AM

The parts that bothers me is the commercialization(mega-sales all over the place), and the "summers here" attitude. Society has let both overpower what is a sacred holiday.

Sounds like……. Christmas and Easter.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: memorial, day, parade, in, forest, hills, queens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users