Duck Boats - Hunting - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Duck Boats

duck boats

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sideliner17

Sideliner17

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted April 13 2016 - 05:58 PM

In the market for a duck boat for next season on bay. Was looking at the Duck Boss 15. Saw one that was 2015 new but I can't find any suggested retail prices on these boats. Anyone have an idea what one of these goes for reasonably or approximation with a trailer. Kinda hard to look at some of these boats with no feel for what ballpark they should be in. Any help appreciated.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Kamakazi118

Kamakazi118

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 278 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted April 13 2016 - 06:28 PM

No experience with a Duck Boss, but they look quite expensive. All of my duck hunting was done from an aluminum 15' boat with a 20hp twist throttle on it. Nice duck boats can be had for a fraction of the price that I am seeing for a Duck Boss. Just my 2 cents. I sold mine at the end of this season for $800 after buying it for $1,000 3 years ago. Cruised nicely with 3 men, had plenty of room for gear. I've got a buddy with a blind and no need for a boat anymore, but having the boat is awesome strictly for the ability to try new spots all the time. Welcome to the forum BTW!!!

#3 Sideliner17

Sideliner17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted April 13 2016 - 06:43 PM

Thanks Kamikazi. Yes I used to have a self built blind on a fiberglass jon/row boat and it worked. Last couple of years hunted on a friend's southbay 13. My daughters may want to go this year and i just love some of these true duck boats for there stability shooting and in rough water.

#4 Sideliner17

Sideliner17

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted April 13 2016 - 06:54 PM

Any idea of a ballpark on a boat like that? $10k?

#5 Capt John

Capt John

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 367 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted April 13 2016 - 08:18 PM

There is a used 2015 Duck Boss DB15 on listed locally for $15k.

I prefer to build my own. If you have some wood working skills it is not too hard.
This is a Sam Devlin design called a Black Brant III. I hunt two guys and a dog with a heavy load of decoys and gear. They are great boats and very stable in rough seas.
Good luck in your search.

Posted Image
Posted Image
  • Sideliner17 likes this

#6 Sideliner17

Sideliner17

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted April 14 2016 - 08:06 AM

Ok guys a little update. Spoke to Tom over at DB boats. The DB15 with cockpit cover, full blind and trailer is $9K. The DB17 is $15K. I hunt the Great South Bay and just thinking outside price the DB17 looks like it would stand out and be difficult to conceal. But inside that boat is like duck hunting in luxury. I have never hunted out of a boat even remotely close to these boats. Price is steep, considering you still have to add an engine. I am not a boat guy. Outside of a boat to get me duck hunting, that's my experience. As for outboards in the 30HP range are the Evinrudes the best ( know best is relative). I would imagine the Honda's must be good as Honda makes excellent small engines. Capt. John, that is a beautiful boat. What did you buy the Devlin boat and build the blind around it? I am good at woodworking. Getting back into carving my own decoys. What does the Brant III go for?

#7 Harmony Hermit

Harmony Hermit

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1138 posts
  • LocationFreedom side of the liberal curtain

Posted April 14 2016 - 08:43 AM

Wow. They still let you hunt ducks on LI! Amazing.

#8 Mike777

Mike777

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 53 posts

Posted April 14 2016 - 08:54 AM

What you need is a10 hp go devil long tail. I just happen to selling mine.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150905_183429.jpg

#9 Capt John

Capt John

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member
  • 367 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted April 14 2016 - 07:46 PM

Sideliner17,

Here is a link to Sam Devlin's site. http://devlinboat.co...lack-brant-iii/

Downloadable construction plans are $55 Paper Construction plans are $85. I believe you can also have them cut all the wood using a CNC machine and have it shipped to you. Lofting the plans is not hard but takes some patience.
I have been using the Black Brant II and Black Brant III's for my guide service and they are the perfect boat for me. They are great for the GSB and hide well. You will only need a 25hp outboard short shaft to move the boat well with two guys, dog and gear.
The cost of building the basic boat is around $2500 for materials Then add canvas, motor and trailer. They are built using BS1088 Mahogany plywood and then glassed over.
If you want to check one out your welcome to stop by any time and go out for a ride.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: duck, boats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users