Fire pit - Page 2 - DIY - Home Improvements - More - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Fire pit

fire pit diy

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Localx

Localx

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 246 posts

Posted April 09 2016 - 12:31 PM

I guess the 100's of pizzas I've
cooked on my wood burning outdoor pizza oven don't fall under the Safe Pizza Act.
Once again I'm screwed.
  • Aquabach and gcloss like this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 muskoday

muskoday

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 3169 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted April 09 2016 - 01:32 PM

As per TOB Recreational fires are OK “Recreational Fire”
What is a “Recreational Fire”: An outdoor fire, burning materials other than rubbish for the purposes of;
pleasure, religious, ceremonial, cooking, warmth or similar purposes. Recreational fires are permissible within
the Town of Brookhaven without prior approval.
Most times the average homeowner is interested in a small outdoor fire for enjoyment by family and friends.
This is known as a recreational fire. The Town of Brookhaven respects this interest, but is obligated to enforce
the Fire Code of New York State, which requires the following, when maintaining a recreational fire:
1) A fire shall not be conducted within 25 feet of any structure or combustible materials. Conditions which
could cause a fire to spread within 25 feet of a structure shall be eliminated prior to ignition.
Examples: Structures: decks, sheds, houses. Combustible Materials: fallen leaves, mulch.
2) The fuel area shall be contained and be 3 feet or less in diameter and 2 feet or less in height.
3) Fire shall be continuously attended until the fire is completely extinguished.
4) A method of immediate extinguishment of the fire, such as a garden hose (charged with water), fire
extinguisher, water barrel with bucket, etc. shall be maintained at the ready at all times.

#23 LongIsland Guy

LongIsland Guy

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3334 posts
  • LocationLake Ronk

Posted April 09 2016 - 02:08 PM

Back to the propane firepit for me I guess....I can't build one 25 feet away from a structure.....

#24 mason852

mason852

Still a David Crockett kid

• Club LIF Member
  • 2593 posts
  • Locationridge

Posted April 09 2016 - 03:04 PM

Really? Is that same fire still a problem if it's in a Weber kettle grill with a steak on top of it? Have they banned BBQs in Brookhaven town too? And if BBQs are still OK, can I toss a few charcoal briquets into my fire pit to stay legal while my kids are roasting marshmallows? What a bunch of nonsense.

I regularly remind myself how unbelievably lucky I am to have really, really good neighbors.

You have not met my neighbor he complained to the DEC about my woodstove ,my smoker and told another neighbor I barbeque to much

#25 Aquabach

Aquabach

Grand Poobah

• Club LIF Member
  • 21170 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted April 09 2016 - 04:08 PM

You have not met my neighbor he complained to the DEC about my woodstove ,my smoker and told another neighbor I barbeque to much

o would bbq every morning.
  • Tonto, bigbore44, mason852 and 2 others like this

#26 mason852

mason852

• Club LIF Member
  • 2593 posts
  • Locationridge

Posted April 09 2016 - 04:14 PM

o would bbq every morning.

At my age it's not so easy to get my meat ready that often
  • Localx and Glen959 like this

#27 Tom Mac

Tom Mac

Gun Guru

• 1323 posts
  • LocationLI, NY

Posted April 09 2016 - 04:17 PM

Another thing I built last year is this below.... weight is 1400 + lbs, come on a pallet and it goes together like legos... no cement all just holds itself together. ( about $1 per lb on sale )

Burns oak just fine. Not the best finish in the world, but good enought...some people cover with stone, i left it plain

Posted Image
  • Localx likes this

#28 mason852

mason852

• Club LIF Member
  • 2593 posts
  • Locationridge

Posted April 09 2016 - 04:19 PM

Another thing I built last year is this below.... weight is 1400 + lbs, come on a pallet and it goes together like legos... no cement all just holds itself together. ( about $1 per lb on sale )

Burns oak just fine. Not the best finish in the world, but good enought...some people cover with stone, i left it plain

Posted Image

Looks like an old style woodburning pizza oven THATSA NICE
  • Localx likes this

#29 mickeyblueyes

mickeyblueyes

Listen up,I don't dial 911.

• 3598 posts
  • LocationMany miles from Uranis

Posted April 09 2016 - 05:07 PM

You may want to check into that, open burning is Legal until someone complains

just repeating what was said and was was told to me and what has actually happened to me. It's almost embarrassing to have a few fire trucks show up with lights and sirens. So as adults we get to make choices and choose battles. If you have neighbors that are troublesome than expect issues. I don't care what people do for relaxation.

#30 snowblind

snowblind

Nimble Navigator

• Established Member
  • 890 posts

Posted April 09 2016 - 06:29 PM

Two of my neighbors are cops and both have fire pits going every night during the summer so I guess I rolled the dice good.

#31 Tom Mac

Tom Mac

Gun Guru

• 1323 posts
  • LocationLI, NY

Posted April 09 2016 - 06:39 PM

Looks like an old style woodburning pizza oven THATSA NICE

Yes... and it works too. Comes with a stainless mesh rack and 3 or 4 slots for the rack. I tried it, all I did was cover the doors with foil to hold in the heat.

#32 Diesel1

Diesel1

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 3586 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted April 09 2016 - 06:40 PM

Buy the pre made kits from the major paver companies. 500 bucks or so and everything need. Yeah on windy nights it sucks and I wish I had something with a chimney to pull the smoke. If I did it again, I'd probably do the outdoor fireplace instead and put it caddy corner...don't think you'll get as much heat though.
  • Localx likes this

#33 Denny

Denny

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 756 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County, NY

Posted April 09 2016 - 07:54 PM

Buy the pre made kits from the major paver companies. 500 bucks or so and everything need. Yeah on windy nights it sucks and I wish I had something with a chimney to pull the smoke. If I did it again, I'd probably do the outdoor fireplace instead and put it caddy corner...don't think you'll get as much heat though.

I was thinking about building a full fire place with a chimney but agree we probably won't get much heat for what we are looking for.

#34 wadeadavis22

wadeadavis22

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationAndorra

Posted June 19 2020 - 05:13 PM

Gas-controlled pits are incredible, however there's in no way like the smell of genuine woodsmoke to get yourself into the pre-winter soul. This wood-consuming Sunnydaze pit has all that you need (beside logs and some paper) to get a wonderful controlled blast as it was done in the good 'ol days. 

Estimating 36" in width and gauging 29 pounds, this roundabout pit is produced using steel and accompanies a screened top to shield remains from flying. A metal tong for altering your fire place is additionally included. Plan shrewd, it includes an alluring crossweave design that mixes well with any tasteful. Analysts note that the Sunnydaze pit is anything but difficult to gather, and note that the plan advances wind stream — an unquestionable requirement when you're tending blazes as opposed to simply turning a handle.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fire pit, diy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users