Leasing land to hunters - Page 3 - Hunting - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Leasing land to hunters

leasing land to hunters

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 6291 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted March 21 2016 - 02:33 PM

I have been contacted by an outfit called BaseCampLeasing. They are willing to pay me to lease my land, in Sullivan County, to hunters.
I must sign a contract. Has anyone had any experience with this outfit? I am reluctant to sign a contract without further
investigation as to whether or not they are reputable.

Their name sounds like they might be a commercial venture. In that case, they could be allowing all sorts of activities on your land, for which you, as the owner, will be ultimately dragged in, if anything happens and liability rears its ugly head. If you want to lease, try doing it directly, to the user(s), as gopedxr7 suggests. You need to have your attorney look at what they are offering, in terms of lease and liability assumptions, before you jump at the dollars. Normally, the property owner dictates the terms of the lease, not the lessee.
Gary

edited, for a typo.

Edited by Gary_Hungerford, March 21 2016 - 04:27 PM.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#42 DaveJr.

DaveJr.

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 853 posts

Posted March 21 2016 - 02:34 PM

You'd be suprised how cheap some people are. I have heard stories similar to boosti's from family friends.

#43 leftjammer

leftjammer

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 2643 posts
  • LocationNew Hyde Park

Posted March 21 2016 - 03:40 PM

Not calling you a liar, but really? I don't believe anyone could be that bad.

Oh believe it.
They are out there, I have 2 family members and another "friend" I dont hang with any longer for the exact reason being discussed here.
Cheap and sneaky doesnt even begin to describe how some people are when it comes to money. Some are so blatant you think they would feel embarrassed, nope, they're helpless

#44 Diesel1

Diesel1

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3586 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted March 21 2016 - 07:22 PM

All I know, is I've been trying to go hunt deer for 3 years since getting my license. If I'm not slammed at work, I have to one or no place to go with. As a rookie, I want to be taught the right way and not be the yahoo in the woods to further any bad stigmas in regards to hunters. Finding people is somewhat easier for me.....land is the largest hurdle. I've heard plenty in regards to hunting on public land and would prefer to avoid that route.

Knowing how hard it is to find good private land to hunt on, I wouldn't let who ever is taking me to put their hand in ther pocket the entire trip. I would still end up with the bargain just for the education. I can't see why guys are so tight they pinch the nickel and dimes. Gas, tolls, and food are nickel and dimes.

Those guys probably turn their underwear inside out to get an extra day out them too.
  • Mad Russian, bigbore44 and ChiefSailer like this

#45 Mad Russian

Mad Russian

Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!

• Donated Member
  • 22005 posts
  • LocationUltimate irony is admiring a foreign President more than your own!

Posted March 21 2016 - 07:46 PM

I'm a rookie yahoo... I've seen deer, but haven't shot anything...yet...

#46 lichris

lichris

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3912 posts
  • LocationStuck in a liberal hell hole.

Posted March 21 2016 - 08:03 PM

I'm a rookie yahoo... I've seen deer, but haven't shot anything...yet...

FYI - after my first season, I traded in the Saiga for a real rifle. Now the deer are so scared, they don't even show themselves.
  • Mad Russian and Fastphil like this

#47 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11301 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted March 21 2016 - 08:33 PM

All I know, is I've been trying to go hunt deer for 3 years since getting my license. If I'm not slammed at work, I have to one or no place to go with. As a rookie, I want to be taught the right way and not be the yahoo in the woods to further any bad stigmas in regards to hunters. Finding people is somewhat easier for me.....land is the largest hurdle. I've heard plenty in regards to hunting on public land and would prefer to avoid that route.

Knowing how hard it is to find good private land to hunt on, I wouldn't let who ever is taking me to put their hand in ther pocket the entire trip. I would still end up with the bargain just for the education. I can't see why guys are so tight they pinch the nickel and dimes. Gas, tolls, and food are nickel and dimes.

Those guys probably turn their underwear inside out to get an extra day out them too.

I learned reading Field and Stream and Outdoor Life magazines when I was interested in hunting, none of the hunting shows were available like we have nowadays. I hunted out east and learned where to hunt upstate on the maps you would get when you bought a hunting license. The old timers I knew are gone. I remember a family friend meet guys once a year for 20 years hunting the same place Upstate. This guy would meet up at different locations to catch a ride with one of the guys from the group. He was a cheap guy. He never offered me a chance to hunt that place Upstate. I have to say most hunters will keep their place secret and never share the land with someone.

#48 snowblind

snowblind

Nimble Navigator

• Established Member
  • 890 posts

Posted March 21 2016 - 09:11 PM

Well after the 24th I will have both bowhunter and gun safety classes done, so if you want to snuggle up and be the big spoon I'll share my sleeping bag with whoever is in on this hypothetical lease :)
  • Mad Russian likes this

#49 Huntington Guy

Huntington Guy

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 9506 posts
  • LocationHuntington

Posted March 21 2016 - 09:52 PM

LIF group buy / sort of - leasing a chunk of land for hunting, mmmmmm..... Interesting.

Have had this discussion here before. Worth looking at.

#50 hkonjuvca1974

hkonjuvca1974

• Donated Member
  • 3 posts
  • Locationoyster bay

Posted March 21 2016 - 09:57 PM

i would be interested in joining LIF members on this lease

#51 grifhunter

grifhunter

Sifting Through the Ruins

• Club LIF Member
  • 7937 posts
  • LocationTraffic congestion Exits 43-49

Posted March 21 2016 - 11:28 PM

I have been in a hunting club based here on Long Island for several years. We lease land. The problem comes up that people are all in and excited when they first hear about it, but after a season or two and they don't use the membership like they thought they would (too far, too many events during hunt season, threw a disk in their back, kids make a fall travel team, cut backs at work, etc etc) then they don't make the payments they were supposed to make and they don't do the physical labor any hunting club needs in the off season. The latter is a BIG issue. You get a disparity of people pulling their load, then resentments, then it goes to hell.

Then you get conflicts over who hunts when, who left trash, who brought non-members, who shot does, hens, whatever. And of course, poachers and the locals who are friends with the owner deplete the wildlife. It is an amazing hassle, yet, it gets you land to hunt. The ideal situation is you and you alone hold the lease.
  • muskoday, bigbore44, Steve936 and 1 other like this

#52 Huntington Guy

Huntington Guy

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 9506 posts
  • LocationHuntington

Posted March 21 2016 - 11:38 PM

I have been in a hunting club based here on Long Island for several years. We lease land. The problem comes up that people are all in and excited when they first hear about it, but after a season or two and they don't use the membership like they thought they would (too far, too many events during hunt season, threw a disk in their back, kids make a fall travel team, cut backs at work, etc etc) then they don't make the payments they were supposed to make and they don't do the physical labor any hunting club needs in the off season. The latter is a BIG issue. You get a disparity of people pulling their load, then resentments, then it goes to hell.

Then you get conflicts over who hunts when, who left trash, who brought non-members, who shot does, hens, whatever. And of course, poachers and the locals who are friends with the owner deplete the wildlife. It is an amazing hassle, yet, it gets you land to hunt. The ideal situation is you and you alone hold the lease.

All excellent points. Compounding such an agreement here would also be our membership having mostly none to only casual relationships for the most part with other members. The learning curve on quirky camp mates, different habits and attitudes and the holy grail for most, the money part. In a perfect world I imagine we would all prefer our own land or to at least have the luxury of being very selective about who the other stakeholders would be but for me anyway, buying a place is not in my short term cards. At least not in the northeast.
Great opportunity to make new friends and build on existing ones but money, schedules and "house rules" will be a bear.
I'm still in for a discussion if it ever gets that far though.
  • grifhunter, bigbore44 and Diesel1 like this

#53 bigbore44

bigbore44

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 3948 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted March 21 2016 - 11:41 PM

110% correct in everything listed here. Been there, been a part of that. It takes a lot of work and patients to keep it going.

#54 grifhunter

grifhunter

Sifting Through the Ruins

• Club LIF Member
  • 7937 posts
  • LocationTraffic congestion Exits 43-49

Posted March 21 2016 - 11:44 PM

All excellent points. Compounding such an agreement here would also be our membership having mostly none to only casual relationships for the most part with other members. The learning curve on quirky camp mates, different habits and attitudes and the holy grail for most, the money part. In a perfect world I imagine we would all prefer our own land or to at least have the luxury of being very selective about who the other stakeholders would be but for me anyway, buying a place is not in my short term cards. At least not in the northeast.
Great opportunity to make new friends and build on existing ones but money, schedules and "house rules" will be a bear.
I'm still in for a discussion if it ever gets that far though.

My other issue is the investment at this stage is not going to be worth it in the long run if you are looking to get out of this state (as all should be). Why buy/lease/improve land, build cabin, add food plots, if you are getting out of Dodge. While I maintain my fairly reasonable membership in my present club, I'm saving money now for a new club membership down south for someday, Mr. and Mrs. Grifhunter will be culling deer and coveys of quail in South Carolina. Eff NY.
  • Huntington Guy, KTULU, Diesel1 and 1 other like this

#55 Hunter6874

Hunter6874

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 3229 posts
  • LocationSomewhere near Aquabach.

Posted March 22 2016 - 09:15 AM

The most difficult part is splitting the cost of a hunting lease and expenses. Every group has the cheap guy.
I hate cheap people, this one guy would get a free ride and ask for a separate check when going out to eat. He always avoided a tip at the table because he knew I gave at least a 20% tip. You need a good crew, people need to share a vehicle and split the costs of the gas and tolls. This guy was clever before leaving his house insisted on seeing the fuel gauge and odometer and getting a receipt for fuel and tolls. He lasted two hunting seasons. It was his turn to use his personal vehicle and the night before said his SUV was going in the shop. He thought that was a way to sneak another trip with us without putting miles on his vehicle.

I completely understand your point, however I am not too worried about that with the majority of the people here. IF this were to happen, it would have be to be done correctly, which is a lot of work, but worth it in the end. As people no longer want to do it, we would bring in replacements, as we couldn't have 30 people running around during season anyway. There will always be interested people. Anyone who would screw us over by just not paying would be out and that would be that. Would be like a mini LIF hunting club.

#56 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11301 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted March 22 2016 - 09:57 AM

I completely understand your point, however I am not too worried about that with the majority of the people here. IF this were to happen, it would have be to be done correctly, which is a lot of work, but worth it in the end. As people no longer want to do it, we would bring in replacements, as we couldn't have 30 people running around during season anyway. There will always be interested people. Anyone who would screw us over by just not paying would be out and that would be that. Would be like a mini LIF hunting club.

It requires team work. I'm a team player, when I was off from work take the drive Upstate to plow and till a new food plot. You will have guys not put in any work. The cheap guy in the group could be convinced to do work while catching a free ride. It will be a project no doubt.
  • bigbore44, Steve936 and Hunter6874 like this

#57 Hunter6874

Hunter6874

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 3229 posts

Posted March 22 2016 - 10:51 AM

It requires team work. I'm a team player, when I was off from work take the drive Upstate to plow and till a new food plot. You will have guys not put in any work. The cheap guy in the group could be convinced to do work while catching a free ride. It will be a project no doubt.

Again fully agree. Definitely will be a project, but one I fully believe will be worth it in the end. There are plenty of ways to deal with any slackers.
  • Mad Russian likes this

#58 Mad Russian

Mad Russian

Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!

• Donated Member
  • 22005 posts
  • LocationUltimate irony is admiring a foreign President more than your own!

Posted March 22 2016 - 11:36 AM

Again fully agree. Definitely will be a project, but one I fully believe will be worth it in the end. There are plenty of ways to deal with any slackers.

For a few years I hunted as a guest of a club upstate. During down time I inquired about membership and policies. The rules are simple: you pay your dues and you participate in an x number of work parties during the year. If you can't work then you are penalized financially. As an example: The club president is/was a control freak Wall Street type, he just paid up because his time was worth more than the penalties.
  • bigbore44 and Hunter6874 like this

#59 snowblind

snowblind

Nimble Navigator

• Established Member
  • 890 posts

Posted March 22 2016 - 12:58 PM

What should you look for when buying land upstate? Please no joke replies about buying in a "free state". :D

#60 Hunter6874

Hunter6874

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 3229 posts

Posted March 22 2016 - 02:03 PM

For a few years I hunted as a guest of a club upstate. During down time I inquired about membership and policies. The rules are simple: you pay your dues and you participate in an x number of work parties during the year. If you can't work then you are penalized financially. As an example: The club president is/was a control freak Wall Street type, he just paid up because his time was worth more than the penalties.

not a bad way to do it

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: leasing, land, to, hunters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users