Leasing land to hunters - Page 2 - Hunting - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Leasing land to hunters

leasing land to hunters

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#21 fish1024

fish1024

FITZ

• Donated Member
  • 1015 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted March 21 2016 - 12:38 AM

I'm in for leasing also.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 bigbore44

bigbore44

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 3948 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted March 21 2016 - 02:24 AM

To the OP, take in all the advise here so far...Do Not get on bed with that company. They 're just gonna lease it and skim off their profit, and then you will somehow get screwed in the end. If interested in leasing it, then do it yourself. The people you lease it to must get proof of liability insurance that thry pay for, in addition to the lease. Make sure it is sufficient coverage.

As to yhe guys looking to group together, and possibly lease it...Great idea. This is a nice way to make it affordable to all of you. I was once part of a decent sized hunting club in Ulster many years ago. It was some of the best times of my life. As long as all of the different personalities can get along(not always easy), then it can be a great thing.

Good luck to all, however this may turn out.

#23 Short Track Hunter

Short Track Hunter

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 1144 posts

Posted March 21 2016 - 05:55 AM

Count me in. As long as there are deer there.
  • Mad Russian likes this

#24 Bobbytaz

Bobbytaz

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 2340 posts

Posted March 21 2016 - 06:44 AM

I am also interested in leasing. I need a place to hunt.
  • Mad Russian and Hunter6874 like this

#25 jambo

jambo

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 886 posts

Posted March 21 2016 - 07:03 AM

I will lease also if you want a group.

What you need to do is setup an llc that will actually own and/or lease the land and then each participant in the hunting club pays membership dues to the club. It's not that hard actually, I have a co-worker that has 275+ acres in Kentucky and does this. He owns the land but the hunting club leases it from him and they handle everything.
  • Mad Russian likes this

#26 Mad Russian

Mad Russian

Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!

• Donated Member
  • 22005 posts
  • LocationUltimate irony is admiring a foreign President more than your own!

Posted March 21 2016 - 07:53 AM

Good info here:

http://adventure.how...nting-lease.htm

• snowblind likes this

#27 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11308 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted March 21 2016 - 08:09 AM

Sullivan County is becoming very expensive. The taxes in certain towns like Liberty and Thompson is like Eastern Long Island.
If you do hunt land, the best areas are Calicoon, Fremont, Cochecton and Bethel. The deer herd was hit hard last winter. The area I own land is surrounded by farm land and hard woods. I have mentioned it before, maintain the land. Plant crops that attract and hold wildlife.
Land is cheaper out west starting in Delaware County. I wish everyone the best of luck. I hunted many years opening day leaving from work and hunt all day to leave at night. Nothing like owning your own land with a house.
  • bigbore44 and SemiAutoFetish like this

#28 SemiAutoFetish

SemiAutoFetish

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 2392 posts
  • LocationWhere the grass is definately not greener...

Posted March 21 2016 - 08:29 AM

fify:

I hunt Orange Co. and stay at the Tuxedo Motel a few times a year... enough said.

:yepthat

#29 rubbermittens

rubbermittens

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 3938 posts

Posted March 21 2016 - 08:54 AM

OP, As you can see, leasing the land would not be a problem, I recommend contacting a few licensed Guides, who, if your land is good will pay a premium to lease your lands. This will mitigate your liability some, As the Guide is licensed, insured yada yada..... I would also consult your attorney as to how you should protect yourself

#30 bigbore44

bigbore44

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 3948 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted March 21 2016 - 09:03 AM

Good info here:

http://adventure.how...nting-lease.htm

Nice trivia info at that link, especially the $2.27/acre rate. Maybe you will pay that for a week or two.

Our first real lease was 135ac, with a price of $600/yr, with full all-year access. It had a small beat up old cabin, that had bullet holes in the roof. We originally split it up by 6 guys. I held it for 17 years, until the owner decided not to renew, due to him turning it into a "preserve" for only his family. The last 4-5 yrs of it, The price worked it's way up to $2000.00/yr by the last year, which you figure is still NOT bad for 6 people, except it was down to just only me and my dad. But it was still worth it! I absolutely loved every single minute spent up there.

My last lease was for $500 for the year on 65acres/no cabin, just outside of Binghamton. It was all uphill, and was completely overgrown with briars by the fourth year. And that is ehen I decided to buy my own land.

The banks aren't paying squat for interest, so real estate is now my bank account. Grab it now, because God isn't making any more of it!
  • Mad Russian and Steve936 like this

#31 Hunter6874

Hunter6874

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 3229 posts
  • LocationSomewhere near Aquabach.

Posted March 21 2016 - 10:13 AM

Never understood why a bunch of us never got together to lease before. Plenty of us are very limited in our places to hunt.
  • Mad Russian, Diesel1 and havfun like this

#32 PaPaBear

PaPaBear

NYS Safety Instructor

• Board Moderator
  • 3881 posts
  • LocationIslip

Posted March 21 2016 - 11:49 AM

dont do it they have the rights to your land and they lessit to any one that can pay them and you hav no say in it keep your land to your self
  • Mad Russian, bigbore44 and 100MPG like this

#33 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11308 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted March 21 2016 - 12:59 PM

Never understood why a bunch of us never got together to lease before. Plenty of us are very limited in our places to hunt.

The most difficult part is splitting the cost of a hunting lease and expenses. Every group has the cheap guy.
I hate cheap people, this one guy would get a free ride and ask for a separate check when going out to eat. He always avoided a tip at the table because he knew I gave at least a 20% tip. You need a good crew, people need to share a vehicle and split the costs of the gas and tolls. This guy was clever before leaving his house insisted on seeing the fuel gauge and odometer and getting a receipt for fuel and tolls. He lasted two hunting seasons. It was his turn to use his personal vehicle and the night before said his SUV was going in the shop. He thought that was a way to sneak another trip with us without putting miles on his vehicle.
  • bigbore44, DaveJr. and RussianNY like this

#34 Diesel1

Diesel1

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3586 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted March 21 2016 - 01:28 PM

The most difficult part is splitting the cost of a hunting lease and expenses. Every group has the cheap guy.
I hate cheap people, this one guy would get a free ride and ask for a separate check when going out to eat. He always avoided a tip at the table because he knew I gave at least a 20% tip. You need a good crew, people need to share a vehicle and split the costs of the gas and tolls. This guy was clever before leaving his house insisted on seeing the fuel gauge and odometer and getting a receipt for fuel and tolls. He lasted two hunting seasons. It was his turn to use his personal vehicle and the night before said his SUV was going in the shop. He thought that was a way to sneak another trip with us without putting miles on his vehicle.

Not calling you a liar, but really? I don't believe anyone could be that bad.

#35 RussianNY

RussianNY

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 214 posts
  • LocationHempstead, NY

Posted March 21 2016 - 01:42 PM

Nice trivia info at that link, especially the $2.27/acre rate. Maybe you will pay that for a week or two.

I was doing a quick search around NYS and cant really see anything close to this price. I guess a lot of changed since 2001

#36 adesantis296

adesantis296

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1077 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted March 21 2016 - 01:48 PM

I would be interested in getting in on this... But... I have never hunted, have taken class for license and have rifle but need a mentor and somewhere to start!
  • ChiefSailer and RussianNY like this

#37 RussianNY

RussianNY

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 214 posts
  • LocationHempstead, NY

Posted March 21 2016 - 01:51 PM

Same here, went on 2 deer and 1 geese hunt to no score so far. All 3 times in the end of the seasosn with no good weather.

#38 havfun

havfun

Gun Guru

• Banned
  • Others: Donated Member, Club LIF Member

• 2611 posts
  • Locationnassau

Posted March 21 2016 - 02:12 PM

i am in for leasing property.

i have been looking to buy some but every time i put money away something comes up.

#39 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11308 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted March 21 2016 - 02:15 PM

He tried a couple of times to come hunt my land. I know him from first grade. He is very sneaky, he went to a bow shop in Hicksville before bow season and tells a customer he has a bow for sale that he purchased a year before from there. He sold a year old Mathews Monster for $700 without the case and arrows. That bow needed a new string, guy didn't know anything about archery. He has borrowed 12 ammunition from me for Turkey hunting. I can understand someone who can't afford it, however, he has plenty of money.

#40 VtwinHP

VtwinHP

Respected Gunowner

• 176 posts

Posted March 21 2016 - 02:27 PM

I believe him. You'd be amazed how cheap some guys can be. Years back The guys would hit Happy hour after work. There was a place that not only put out a decent free buffet but also had Free drinks for one hour. There was one guy who always made it a point to get there exactly at the start of it order a Dewars and water and then go up for multiple plates of food. One day I was at the bar ordering a drink and this guys comes up and orders another Dewars. (He had at least 2 free already) The bartender makes his drink puts it down and says Happy hour ended 15 minutes ago and she now has to charge for the drink. He put on his coat and walked out. I was embarrassed to even be standing next to the cheap #$%^. I threw her a $20 tip and vowed to never go anywhere with him again.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: leasing, land, to, hunters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users