RTIC Coolers(update) - Gear Discussion - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

RTIC Coolers(update)

rtic coolersupdate

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 BillyBonds

BillyBonds

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 6828 posts

Posted March 14 2016 - 07:49 PM

So after a lot of thought, research, and debate, I decided to place an order.

There are about a dozen different companies making roto molded coolers, and you can't tell the difference between most of them from more that 10' away. When I first found the brand, I thought they were just a Yeti clone, but now I think they are all the same crap, most cloning each other.

The fact that they are made in China doesn't bother me so much since it turns out Yeti only makes some of their Tundra coolers here, some in the Philippines. All the rest of their products like tumblers, soft coolers, and accessories are all made in China.

I have seen quite a few tests and comparisons online and it turns out Yeti actually kinda sucks compared to many of its competitors like Engle, Orca, etc.

All the reviews I have found from people receiving their RTIC products already have said they are just as good, and even better than the Yeti's. It was interesting enough when RTIC was publishing tests outperforming the Yeti's, but now it seems like the people agree.

So for the price of the Yeti 45 I returned, I ordered an RTIC 65 as my tailgate/camping cooler, the SoftPac 30 for normal use, and a 20 and 30 oz tumbler. I already received the tumblers and they are definitely just as nice as any of the competitors. Soft cooler should be here early May and the 65 should arrive in time for Memorial Day weekend.
  • VolkoSupply likes this

# Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Topic Starter

Posted A minute ago

#2 BillyBonds

BillyBonds

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 6828 posts

Posted March 14 2016 - 07:54 PM

I should have added, when I saw them sponsoring Cole Whitt's car at Daytona, I took it as a sign, and it helped push me over the edge.

#3 Crazyeyes

Crazyeyes

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 236 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted April 13 2016 - 11:44 AM

I got a Rtic 30 oz tumbler, it is just as good as my 30oz yeti.
Have been meaning to look at the coolers.

#4 nyguns

nyguns

Moved to Texas!!

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 2260 posts

Posted April 13 2016 - 12:32 PM

Nothing but good things from Rtic!

#5 BillyBonds

BillyBonds

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 6828 posts

Posted April 25 2016 - 08:24 PM

I just got an email that my RTIC 65 has shipped. Was slated for shipping on or before 5/31, so clearly way ahead of schedule. I'll check back with a review after I receive it. Also have an RTIC Softpak 30 on order with a ship date of on or before 5/14, hopefully that one ships early too.

#6 BillyBonds

BillyBonds

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 6828 posts

Posted May 31 2016 - 07:37 PM

Just got an email that my Softpak 30 shipped today pretty fired up to see this cooler. Im thinking will be a perfect cooler for the back of the Jeep for day trips to the beach. I like the idea of the soft coolers, but I hate Yeti's design for the top

I've had my RTIC 65 for a month now and I can say it is every bit as solid as any Yeti or Engel. It's big and heavy though, and since I don't own a boat, not sure how much use I am going to get out of it. It's too nice to use for BBQ's, and I don't camp as much as I used to. It's way nicer and more cooler than I really ever needed, which is why it's so great to have spent $200 on it instead of $400.

Edited by BillyBonds, May 31 2016 - 07:38 PM.

#7 OH UNCLE PAUL

OH UNCLE PAUL

Banned

• Banned
  • 17343 posts

Posted May 31 2016 - 07:54 PM

Boy when you find Ozark Trail at Walmart you're gonna be upset.
  • sherm66 likes this

#8 rubbermittens

rubbermittens

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 3937 posts

Posted May 31 2016 - 08:04 PM

Is it really just as good as the yeti stuff? the prices are very good on it, Im liking the softpack 30 for my lunches and stuff

#9 BillyBonds

BillyBonds

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 6828 posts

Posted May 31 2016 - 08:20 PM

Is it really just as good as the yeti stuff? the prices are very good on it, Im liking the softpack 30 for my lunches and stuff

I got a hold of the Yeti wholesale price list and it is in line with RTIC pricing. From tests and reviews I have seen online, Yeti is more brand name than performance and underperforms a lot of the other roto molded cooler brands like Engel and Siberian. When I got the cooler, I dumped whatever ice I had in the freezer into it, which was not a lot, and I didn't get any melt for 2 days.

I'll update again next week after I get a chance to test the soft cooler. If I get it by the weekend, I have a vineyard ride and a horseshoe to go to this weekend, so it will get plenty of use.
  • rlitman likes this

#10 BillyBonds

BillyBonds

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 6828 posts

Posted June 07 2016 - 09:06 AM

So my RTIC Softpak 30 arrived yesterday and my initial impression is very positive. I've always hated the top of the Yeti Hopper, maybe it serves for greater reliability or performance, but it stinks for functionality. The RTIC 30 does not have that problem. Material seems to be the same at the Yeti, but I will confirm that again after my next trip to J&H. Unlike the RTIC 65 I received that seemed to have some minor dimples in the plastic, I could not find a flow in the craftsmanship of the Softpak. I will try to fill it with ice tonight and see how long it will last.

An update on the RTIC 65, I contacted customer support about the little dimples in the plastic, not because I feel there was any risk to structural integrity, but because they were on the inside, I didnt want them to become a place for mold, mildew, or bacteria to build up that would not be so easy to clean. I only contacted them to ask for a product recommendation to fill the little poc marks, but they insist on replacing the entire cooler. Seems a bit ridiculous when a tiny bit of plastic epoxy would do the trick, but I got tired of arguing with them about it and will just take the replacement.

#11 Rob1005

Rob1005

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted June 11 2016 - 02:15 PM

Any update on the softpak? How long did the ice last and does it leak mostly? Very limited information so far but disappointed to know it doesn't collapse at all

#12 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 11474 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted June 11 2016 - 02:34 PM

Just be advised as of rule one no picture means it never happened.
PS links to where you got it would be nice.

#13 BillyBonds

BillyBonds

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 6828 posts

Posted June 22 2016 - 02:17 PM

I've now been using the Softpak 30 a couple weeks, including two trips to Fire Island, and I can honestly say it was well worth the purchase. I'll take some picture later(cooler is in the Jeep and I dont have the Jeep today). Its easy to carry around, very rugged, and keeps things cold. It definietely keeps ice for well over 24 hours. Usually after 48 hours, I am down to just a little ice, or I'm left with still ice cold water. I dont drink canned beer, so I cant attest to it holding 30 cans, but it easily holds a 12 pack of bottles plus a half dozen non-alcoholic beverages for the misses, and ice of course. I've also never filled the thing with just ice to test how long it lasts, i've only tried 1 bag at a time(or whatever was in my freezer ice maker). I'm sure if I filled the empty cooler to the brim with ice and left it shut, I would get another day or so out of it, but in what world would that be useful?

As for the RTIC 65, I have already received my replacement, and it is flawless. Cant find an imperfection in the plastic anywhere. From the time I sent the original one back till the time I got the replacement, I believe it was 2 weeks on the button(despite the cooler having a 2 month lead time for new orders). I really thought replacing the original cooler for a few small cosmetic dimples in the plastic was overkill, but it makes me even more comfortable recommending their coolers.

As far as I know, you can only order their coolers directly from them, which is why their pricing is inline with the wholesale pricing of all the other manufacturers. https://www.rticcoolers.com/

I now own both their 20oz and 30oz tumblers, Softpak 30, and regular 65, and the $450 saved vs competitors was well worth the wait.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2385.JPG
  • IMG_2386.JPG
  • IMG_2387.JPG
  • IMG_2389.JPG

• Crazyeyes likes this

#14 mason852

mason852

Still a David Crockett kid

• Club LIF Member
  • 2549 posts
  • Locationridge

Posted June 22 2016 - 04:17 PM

Way Cool Man! Nice report

#15 boke

boke

Tallest Midget

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 3328 posts

Posted February 10 2020 - 03:09 AM

I picked up a Lifetime Rotomolded cooler. It was like a quarter of the cost of a Yeti and made in America. I left it in the back of my car in like 90 temps for 3 days before cleaning it out and my drinks were still cold.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rtic, coolersupdate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users