1911 lube guide? - Handguns - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

1911 lube guide?

1911 lube guide

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 vmtcmt

vmtcmt

Uh-oh...

• Established Member
  • 12524 posts
  • LocationRychia

Posted March 11 2016 - 12:26 PM

Finally detail stripping and cleaning my 1911. Can't seem to find any consensus on where/what to lube on reassembly.

What guide do you more experienced 1911 folks use?

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Paté

Paté

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 38956 posts

Posted March 11 2016 - 12:34 PM

POPULAR

I prefer the tears of Glock owners!
  • CommackBoy, PandM, Edward_Blake and 7 others like this

#3 CommackBoy

CommackBoy

Banned

• Banned
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 7713 posts
  • LocationCommack, NY

Posted March 11 2016 - 12:38 PM

Here is a great video:

http://blog.wilsonco...ultima-lube-ii/

Go to YouTube and search for Wilson Combat. They have tons of fantastic videos on how to maintain 1911s.
  • OneLowRider and Dunlin like this

#4 malakaguy

malakaguy

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 8117 posts

Posted March 11 2016 - 12:46 PM

I don't lube my rugers cuz they usually break after the first time I shoot them!

• Edward_Blake, Barnslayer, ChiefSailer and 2 others like this

#5 Greencvo

Greencvo

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 276 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted March 11 2016 - 01:08 PM

Finally detail stripping and cleaning my 1911. Can't seem to find any consensus on where/what to lube on reassembly.

What guide do you more experienced 1911 folks use?

If it slides, grease it.....if it rotates, oil it!

Grease on the rails, a light coat of oil on the front of the barrel (I actually lightly coat the entire barrel), the bushing and a little on the rail in the slide that rides over the hammer, a little oil on the locking rails in the slide. Any other parts that move/rotate......mag release, series 80 plunger etc., a little drop of oil.
  • Ramone and Barnslayer like this

#6 Postal Bob

Postal Bob

Gun Guru

• 4034 posts

Posted March 11 2016 - 01:52 PM

Mobil 1 5w-30 on everything that moves and makes contact with each other. And if shooting in action pistol match, plenty on the barrel,bushing, and guide rod. And yes, even when shooting at LIPSA.
And also swab the bore with a light coating of Mobil 1 also. It'll keep the barrel from fouling as much, making it easier to clean.
This regiment has worked excellently in temps ranging from 20°-100°. And I also do this for my 22 competition guns.
  • Edward_Blake, SRT8, li02liberty and 2 others like this

#7 DOCTORPC

DOCTORPC

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 1594 posts

Posted March 11 2016 - 02:14 PM

simple remove grips dip gun in oil shake excess off put grips back in shoot gun
  • RussianNY likes this

#8 Joe Shmoe

Joe Shmoe

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 7130 posts
  • LocationIn my own little world.

Posted March 11 2016 - 02:40 PM

Mobil 1 5w-30 on everything that moves and makes contact with each other. And if shooting in action pistol match, plenty on the barrel,bushing, and guide rod. And yes, even when shooting at LIPSA.
And also swab the bore with a light coating of Mobil 1 also. It'll keep the barrel from fouling as much, making it easier to clean.
This regiment has worked excellently in temps ranging from 20°-100°. And I also do this for my 22 competition guns.

I'm actually going to try this. I know you and Jeff and others have been swearing by it.
  • SRT8 likes this

#9 havfun

havfun

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • Others: Donated Member, Club LIF Member

• 2611 posts
  • Locationnassau

Posted March 11 2016 - 04:30 PM

I'm actually going to try this. I know you and Jeff and others have been swearing by it.

they r the better shooters im in

#10 vmtcmt

vmtcmt

Uh-oh...

• Established Member
  • 12524 posts
  • LocationRychia

Posted March 12 2016 - 05:13 AM

I already use Mobil 1 on all my firearms. I was looking for some sort of guide as to where/what to lube after a detail strip. Anything on the extractor? Anything on the firing pin and/or spring? On a Glock, that's a no-no. Just not very familiar with 1911's yet.

#11 Mossy930spx

Mossy930spx

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 6902 posts

Posted March 12 2016 - 06:23 AM

I would assume firing pins generally don't get oiled. I've shot about 2k in my 1911 and never oiled the pin.

#12 Greencvo

Greencvo

Respected Gunowner

• 276 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted March 12 2016 - 07:31 AM

I already use Mobil 1 on all my firearms. I was looking for some sort of guide as to where/what to lube after a detail strip. Anything on the extractor? Anything on the firing pin and/or spring? On a Glock, that's a no-no. Just not very familiar with 1911's yet.

"Never" any oil in firing pin tunnel or extractor tunnel. The oil will attract all kinds of crud and mess things up in there. I also never oil the guide rod/spring as the same thing will happen. Same logic as for a magazine. Never oil the mag or spring as it just gunks the whole thing up.

#13 Postal Bob

Postal Bob

Gun Guru

• 4034 posts

Posted March 12 2016 - 09:23 AM

Yes, no oil on firing pin. I will put a drop on the back of the firing pin where it protrudes through the firing pin stop. That'll also help the hammer as the slide pushes the hammer back when fired.
The extractor is fixed, unlike on some guns that pivot with a spring. But when I pull out the extractor, before putting it back in, I wipe just a little oil with my fingers on the part that sits within the tunnel. You'll see the wear spots on it when you take it out. So it does move a little.
Also, put a drop of oil on the disconnector where it protrudes from the top of the frame. And some on the scallop cut on the bottom of the slide which the disconnector rides into.

I also never oil the guide rod/spring as the same thing will happen.

Not true. I heavilly oil the guide rod, the barrel, and the lugs and hood of the barrel and in the slide. The barrel going through the bushing, is where most of the resistance is. I've shot thousands of rounds in competition, in temps from 20-100 degrees, in rain, dust, sand, etc., and never had my gun get gunked up. Grease will hold dirt, but I've never had a problem using the Mobil 1. And if you guys ever see some of the shooters like Bullseye45 at the matches, his gun looks like it's dripping oil sometimes.
  • Beaker likes this

#14 Dchilde

Dchilde

Runs With Scissors

• Established Member
  • 3395 posts
  • LocationNorth Fork

Posted March 12 2016 - 10:49 AM

Synthetic motor oil on everything that moves. 1 qt of Motor oil will last you and 10 of your friends and lifetime. I take to bottles after filling the car engine and let the residue still in the bottles drain into one bottle, collect this and oil guns with it.

#15 Barnslayer

Barnslayer

Banned

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationPort Washington

Posted March 12 2016 - 10:59 AM

To quote my Dad's drill Sgt. (WW2) "…a thin coat of oil on all metals parts.." I'll add, grease to contact areas of frame to slide.
When temps approach freezing…. NO oil at all. Just some graphite powder on slide rails.

Which oil or grease? This guy did a nice work up of bore cleaners, copper removers, carbon removers, and lubes.
http://www.frfrogspad.com/cleaners.htm

#16 Postal Bob

Postal Bob

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 4034 posts

Posted March 12 2016 - 08:05 PM

Back in WW2, there was no sythetic oil. So most oils thickened at freezing temps. Mobil 1 remains viscous at below freezing temps. My truck's easy starting when temps are near 0 degree is testiment to that. And it stays put on metal and doesn't burn off even when temps are near the boiling point. And during some matches during a summer heat wave, my gun will get hot enough to start melting the fiber optic rod in the front sight. Yet the oil stays put on the gun and doesn't burn off.

#17 vmtcmt

vmtcmt

Uh-oh...

• Established Member
  • 12524 posts
  • LocationRychia

Posted March 21 2016 - 05:52 PM

Oddly enough, I recently got this from RIA/Armscor.
Attached File  Keep_Your_1911_Working_Until_2111.pdf   5.56MB   155 downloads

Still not going to lube the firing pin/spring.

#18 Postal Bob

Postal Bob

Gun Guru

• 4034 posts

Posted March 21 2016 - 06:15 PM

What happened to oiling the barrel where it slides through the bushing? And the lugs and hood of the barrel? And I don't understand the lubing of the firing pin. That has the potential to work it's way toward the firing pin tip, and creating a hydrallic situation that prevents the firing pin from hitting the primers hard enough.
And I still say more oil on slide rails, barrel, and guide rod. This weekends match at Lipsa, I saw many have jams with 1911 and 2011 guns, that they say they normally do not have. But with the drop in temps, and the heavy wind blowing sand, if your gun wasn't lubricated well, you had the potential for problems. Mine, plenty of oil everywhere, and no malfunctions.

#19 Barnslayer

Barnslayer

Banned

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationPort Washington

Posted March 21 2016 - 06:35 PM

Proper lubrication is always a good idea. But wind and sand will seek out exposed oil and grease. Take two identical metal items (old military canteens or shovels).
Coat one with the usual amount of oil for your firearm. Leave the other dry. Set them both out in the windy sandy area for a while. Which one is cleaner after a few hours?

BTW, Slip Gunlube and Slip EWG Grease outperformed Mobil 1 (even the 20-50) at both high and low temp extremes. Does it matter? Probably not and you can't beat the cost of using Mobil 1.

http://www.frfrogspad.com/cleaners.htm
  • crufino likes this

#20 crufino

crufino

• Donated Member
  • 15 posts
  • LocationHuntington

Posted May 09 2016 - 11:00 AM

This is a great post and very helpful. I've come back to target shooting after many years away and am having a blast brushing up and learning so much more.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1911, lube, guide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users