waterproofing nubuck/suede - All Other - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

waterproofing nubuck/suede

waterproofing nubucksuede

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tidriver

tidriver

Sharp Shooter!

• Donated Member
  • 406 posts
  • LocationNassau county

Posted December 25 2015 - 04:15 PM

anyone have any good experience with waterproofing products on their timberlands?
I remember back in college I used some sort of silicone spray on my timberlands back then and the stuff really didn't work that well. Although that was 30yrs ago, so I imagine newer stuff must have gotten better.
  • 9mm87 likes this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Beaker

Beaker

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 505 posts
  • LocationWorking in the pits of hell!

Posted December 25 2015 - 04:21 PM

I used the KIWI brand silicone spray. Several coats, allowing each to soak in. It dries odor-free, but it takes a while.
I think it "fails" where it can't work on shoes (lace holes, mesh panels, etc.) but otherwise holds up well.

#3 Barnslayer

Barnslayer

Banned

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationPort Washington

Posted December 25 2015 - 04:24 PM

I thought all Timberlands were waterproof. All mine are. The boots get wet but don't leak. That aside I've used liquid silicone and Nikwax brushed on. Both keep the nubuck from soaking up water. The silicone is discouraged by some manufacturers (may break down boot materials). Nikwax is water based so no danger in that. Both may darken the nubuck.

#4 PaPaBear

PaPaBear

NYS Safety Instructor

• Board Moderator
  • 3881 posts
  • LocationIslip

Posted December 27 2015 - 08:22 AM

i used bee wax

#5 Captain Will

Captain Will

Banned

• Banned
  • 19574 posts

Posted December 27 2015 - 08:39 AM

There are a bunch of new waterproofing coatings out on the market but they all leave schmutz on your boots, and scotchgard isn't sold anymore AFIAK. If you have new Timberlands that are the dark, waxy kind of brown, those are already impregnated with some sort of (likely silicone based) sealer, that usually lasts me about six months. My boots only last about nine before they are completely shot, so I havent had to do much except occasionally use one of those silicone sponges on them since I work in an environment where my boots are regularly exposed to MDF dust and cement and grout dust, which dries out the leather pretty badly.
Honestly I've got no idea what '"Nubuck" is.

#6 Rugerville Resident

Rugerville Resident

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 365 posts

Posted December 27 2015 - 09:32 AM

mink oil

#7 tidriver

tidriver

Sharp Shooter!

• Donated Member
  • 406 posts
  • LocationNassau county

Posted January 02 2016 - 03:23 PM

I always thought timberlands were waterproof myself. But I asked a salesperson at the store and his reply was they were water resistant and not water proof. Being that my timberlands are several years old, I really don't think they even repel water that well anymore. thus the question of what I can use. Nubuck is the leather they use on timberlands, sort of like short fiber suede.

#8 Barnslayer

Barnslayer

Banned

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationPort Washington

Posted January 02 2016 - 04:09 PM

I always thought timberlands were waterproof myself. But I asked a salesperson at the store and his reply was they were water resistant and not water proof. Being that my timberlands are several years old, I really don't think they even repel water that well anymore. thus the question of what I can use. Nubuck is the leather they use on timberlands, sort of like short fiber suede.

Like I said you can brush on silicone waterproofing or use NikWax to prevent the leather soaking up any water. But which model Timberlands do you have? The classic nubuck 6" boots are listed as waterproof at the Timberland site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users