PII and FFLs - FFLs Listings & Reviews - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

PII and FFLs

pii and ffls

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 spta97

spta97

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 1527 posts

Posted December 19 2015 - 06:34 PM

I went to a local FFL today (who I won't name as they have a good rep) and was disappointed to see rifles in the isle with a photo copy of the purchasers drivers license hanging from the box.

I have been fortunate to not have my identity stolen but it is a real concern of mine. I purchased a Black Friday rifle at dicks a few years ago (never again) and they made us fill out the form everytime we went back because they couldn't get through for the background check. They had issue with allowing us to keep the unused forms so I could shred them.

Years ago I applied for a credit card at HD due to a sale and they left the completed form on counter ( with my ssn) and I had to ask them to remove it.

I expect this kind of behavior from retail idiots but an FFL I feel should be more sensitive. If I was one of these antis I could record the personal information / address / name of a gun owner. Worse yet if I was a theif I could know what gun they have at home and case the joint and steal it when they went to work.

Anyone else as paranoid as I am? Do FFLs get the danger of leaving PII out for everyone to see?

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 vmtcmt

vmtcmt

Uh-oh...

• Established Member
  • 12524 posts
  • LocationRychia

Posted December 19 2015 - 06:37 PM

Automatic message - This topic has been moved from Chit-Chat to FFLs Listings & Reviews

#3 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 7041 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted December 19 2015 - 07:05 PM

I went to a local FFL today (who I won't name as they have a good rep) and was disappointed to see rifles in the isle with a photo copy of the purchasers drivers license hanging from the box.

I have been fortunate to not have my identity stolen but it is a real concern of mine. I purchased a Black Friday rifle at dicks a few years ago (never again) and they made us fill out the form everytime we went back because they couldn't get through for the background check. They had issue with allowing us to keep the unused forms so I could shred them.

Years ago I applied for a credit card at HD due to a sale and they left the completed form on counter ( with my ssn) and I had to ask them to remove it.

I expect this kind of behavior from retail idiots but an FFL I feel should be more sensitive. If I was one of these antis I could record the personal information / address / name of a gun owner. Worse yet if I was a theif I could know what gun they have at home and case the joint and steal it when they went to work.

Anyone else as paranoid as I am? Do FFLs get the danger of leaving PII out for everyone to see?

Did you say something to the FFL? The risk might not have occurred to them.
  • DIRTBIKEZ likes this

#4 MossbergMan

MossbergMan

shall NOT be infringed

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 2426 posts
  • LocationRikers Island

Posted December 19 2015 - 07:16 PM

Rifles in the isle... Not on LI I guess?

#5 spta97

spta97

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 1527 posts

Posted December 19 2015 - 07:34 PM

Did you say something to the FFL? The risk might not have occurred to them.

No, I didn't feel it was my place but perhaps I should have. It's his business to run as he wants I guess.

#6 spta97

spta97

Gun Guru

• 1527 posts

Posted December 19 2015 - 07:34 PM

Rifles in the isle... Not on LI I guess?

Nope, right here on LI

#7 billb42

billb42

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 622 posts
  • Location00000

Posted December 19 2015 - 09:29 PM

Good observation! I would have handled it differently. Using discretion I would ask for the owner/manager to step to the side with me and quietly inform him of my concerns. I think he would appreciate it.
  • ProGodProGunProLife likes this

#8 DIRTBIKEZ

DIRTBIKEZ

Not a participant of the LIF circle jerk.

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 663 posts

Posted December 20 2015 - 01:08 AM

Post the name of the shop, people have the right to know if their info is on display.

#9 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24738 posts

Posted December 20 2015 - 07:30 AM

I have a huge problem with everyone saying they "need" to scan my DL. No, they do NOT "need to" for any reason. You are required to show a Gov't issued photo ID, nowhere does it say they must keep a copy of it.
  • ChiefSailer likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pii, and, ffls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users