Local Gars - Fishing - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Local Gars

local gars

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 XOsugarbabyXO

XOsugarbabyXO

Banned

• Banned
  • 107 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted December 09 2015 - 08:17 PM

Are there any wild population of gar fish on Long Island?

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Huntington Guy

Huntington Guy

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 9506 posts
  • LocationHuntington

Posted December 09 2015 - 08:27 PM

Used to catch them in shallow, 10'-15' of water doing beach dives at B-8th street in Far Rockaway.
  • XOsugarbabyXO likes this

#3 XOsugarbabyXO

XOsugarbabyXO

Banned

• Banned
  • 107 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted December 09 2015 - 08:32 PM

Used to catch them in shallow, 10'-15' of water doing beach dives at B-8th street in Far Rockaway.

In saltwater? Do you know the specific species?

#4 C6NY

C6NY

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7904 posts

Posted December 09 2015 - 08:49 PM

I've never caught one on the Island nor heard of any but I'm not a big freshwater guy.
http://www.eregulati...-1-long-island/

#5 Huntington Guy

Huntington Guy

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 9506 posts
  • LocationHuntington

Posted December 09 2015 - 09:03 PM

In saltwater? Do you know the specific species?

Yes, salt water. If I recall they were 8" - 10" but no idea what sub species. We used to see sea horses there too. Mid to late September it wasn't uncommon to find many different kinds of immature tropicals over there. Something about the Gulf Stream moves close to LI and carries them up in the currents. It was cool to see colors and unfamiliar fish. There were usually a few guys with slurp guns capturing different examples. We were told they sold them to pet stores and salt water tank folks.

#6 Huntington Guy

Huntington Guy

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 9506 posts
  • LocationHuntington

Posted December 09 2015 - 09:06 PM

I'm an old recreational diver, others here have much more bottom time than I do. We have a few resident badass real divers on here who I'm sure would know more about it than I do. I'd try Aquabach or Joeydiver to start.

#7 C6NY

C6NY

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7904 posts

Posted December 09 2015 - 09:06 PM

Yes, salt water. If I recall they were 8" - 10" but no idea what sub species. We used to see sea horses there too. Mid to late September it wasn't uncommon to find many different kinds of immature tropicals over there. Something about the Gulf Stream moves close to LI and carries them up in the currents. It was cool to see colors and unfamiliar fish. There were usually a few guys with slurp guns capturing different examples. We were told they sold them to pet stores and salt water tank folks.

As one who lived in Fla for a couple years I think you're thinking of needlefish. They are very gar like and will take bait and small lures.
They could easily get caught up in the Gulf Stream.

#8 Huntington Guy

Huntington Guy

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 9506 posts
  • LocationHuntington

Posted December 09 2015 - 09:07 PM

As one who lived in Fla for a couple years I think you're thinking of needlefish. They are very gar like and will take bait and small lures.
They could easily get caught up in the Gulf Stream.

Very possible, I was told they were Gars but I would not know the difference.
  • C6NY likes this

#9 C6NY

C6NY

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7904 posts

Posted December 09 2015 - 09:11 PM

https://en.m.wikiped...wiki/Needlefish

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: local, gars

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users