Consequences of mugging me & keeping short fish - Page 3 - Fishing - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Consequences of mugging me & keeping short fish

consequences of mugging me keeping short fish

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#41 Sig

Sig

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationWrong Island

Posted November 10 2015 - 11:53 AM

If you want to argue that then why are you out in a smaller boat in 25 knots of wind? Violates rule 2, just as much as the guy anchoring in front of you

That was the forecast for later in the day. It wasn't blowing at the time we went out. This guy increased the possible danger by where he parked basically making impossible from us to pull anchor if needed. You can think what you want but this guy was a douche. Even if we were in a similar size boat he still created a possible dangerous situation. You fend off between two 40 footers in the wind & hope you don't crush a hand.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#42 BIGROB

BIGROB

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • Others:
  • 3206 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 10 2015 - 11:59 AM

That was the forecast for later in the day. It wasn't blowing at the time we went out. This guy increased the possible danger by where he parked basically making impossible from us to pull anchor if needed. You can think what you want but this guy was a douche. Even if we were in a similar size boat he still created a possible dangerous situation. You fend off between two 40 footers in the wind & hope you don't crush a hand.

So it wasn't blowing 25, you just proved my point of exaggerating the situation to justify your actions.

#43 Sig

Sig

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationWrong Island

Posted November 10 2015 - 12:03 PM

So it wasn't blowing 25, you just proved my point of exaggerating the situation to justify your actions.

What part of "possible" peril didn't you get?

Come fish next to me & keep short fish & I'll introduce to you personally to the DEC even if it's calm out..
  • pequa1 likes this

#44 BIGROB

BIGROB

Banned

• Banned
  • Others:
  • 3206 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 10 2015 - 12:07 PM

What part of "possible" peril didn't you get?

Come fish next to me & keep short fish & I'll introduce to you personally to the DEC even if it's calm out..

I don't fish nor own a boat, probably will never with the amount of time I spend on the water, a simple radio call would have fixed this problem for you Before any of this escalated.

#45 Tonto

Tonto

Bangkok rules. Now who has a can?

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 11589 posts
  • LocationBeen there, done that

Posted November 10 2015 - 12:09 PM

I don't fish nor own a boat, probably will never with the amount of time I spend on the water, a simple radio call would have fixed this problem for you Before any of this escalated.

No boat? From the replies...I would have guessed a 40'
  • pequa1, jrd and Objectivist like this

#46 Sig

Sig

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationWrong Island

Posted November 10 2015 - 12:10 PM

A radio call to whom & on which channel?

Question for you: If you see an obvious drunk driving down your block, what do you do?
  • ProGodProGunProLife, rlitman and ajkatt like this

#47 Aquabach

Aquabach

Grand Poobah

• Club LIF Member
  • 21170 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted November 10 2015 - 12:14 PM

You may not be old enough to recall the days of a total moratorium on striped bass fishing. Likewise, when I could go out of Matzahpizza in the 1970s and with little experience and a little chum on a BAD day come home with thirty or forty winter flounder. Winter flounder are in all practicality extinct in the South Oyster Bay area and have been for nearly ten years. Pollution, loss of habitat, over-fishing, who knows, but the government is the only entity that can restrict some fishing so future generations will not be without. So yeah, I will report any poacher I see, whenever and wherever. Shoot next to me at Calverton with a pistol gripped and unregistered AR and I could give a shizzzat

The commercial fishing industry has decimated our fish population.
Everything else is a drop in the bucket.

Draggers take practically everything on the bottom.
The more modern nets let some of the small fish except but not all.
Worse, they destroy the bottom. They knockdown the little valleys and bumps where animals and plants grow making it more a desert.
Sportfishing is nothing comparatively.
  • mason852, Hannco and havfun like this

#48 BIGROB

BIGROB

Banned

• Banned
  • Others:
  • 3206 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 10 2015 - 12:17 PM

Question for you: If you see an obvious drunk driving down your block, what do you do?

Channel 16 hailing and distress channel, what the captain hinted to before.

"Vessel name vessel name vessel name this the small boat on your stern"

This isn't drunk driving, he went over your spot and you got your panties in a bunch.. If you thought his piloting was a problem you should have called the coast guard. Not the DEC so they could come out and fish for problems.

Edited by BIGROB, November 10 2015 - 12:18 PM.

#49 Aquabach

Aquabach

Grand Poobah

• Club LIF Member
  • 21170 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted November 10 2015 - 12:20 PM

More often than not it that doesn't help.
When people lack sea manners as bad as this guy it's doubtful he would have cared.
More likely an argument would have broken out.
I've had fisherman pull up to 30 feet of dive boats at anchor with a large Diver down flag displayed while people are in the water.
They curse at us when we tell them their are people in the water and they're endangering their lives and they are breaking the law.
Often not until we threaten them with calling the Coast Guard or police do they pull away.

Maybe a radio call would have worked. Maybe not. But the guy got what he brought on himself IMO.
  • Tonto, Sig, Mayhm13 and 2 others like this

#50 BIGROB

BIGROB

Banned

• Banned
  • Others:
  • 3206 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 10 2015 - 12:24 PM

The commercial fishing industry has decimated our fish population.
Everything else is a drop in the bucket.

Draggers take practically everything on the bottom.
The more modern nets let some of the small fish except but not all.
Worse, they destroy the bottom. They knockdown the little valleys and bumps where animals and plants grow making it more a desert.
Sportfishing is nothing comparatively.

Not to mention when they would just take the females, cut them open for the eggs and then throw their bodies along with the males overboard

#51 shamuscull

shamuscull

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 5461 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted November 10 2015 - 12:30 PM

I would have thrown my beer cans at him!!!!!
  • Tonto, Aquabach, Fastphil and 2 others like this

#52 Sig

Sig

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationWrong Island

Posted November 10 2015 - 12:30 PM

This isn't drunk driving, he went over your spot and you got your panties in a bunch.. If you thought his piloting was a problem you should have called the coast guard. Not the DEC so they could come out and fish for problems.

First off, channel 16 is reserved for emergency distress calls. That certainly was not the case here and I don't think the coasties would appreciate it being used for the purpose you propose. Most boaters do not monitor their radios anyway.

Secondly he was breaking the same rules that I & every other fisherman with a conscience follow. Had he not kept short fish I would have just let it go like I have done in the past. It was the keeping of short fish that really angered me.

Yes I take it personally when someone parks on top of me when there is plenty of fish & structure all around. How would you feel if you parked your classic 63' vette in a parking lot far from all the other cars & some jerk parks a POS within inches of it.
  • rlitman likes this

#53 Sig

Sig

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationWrong Island

Posted November 10 2015 - 12:33 PM

I would have thrown my beer cans at him!!!!!

Sad thing is I was without beer that day.

#54 BIGROB

BIGROB

Banned

• Banned
  • Others:
  • 3206 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 10 2015 - 12:51 PM

First off, channel 16 is reserved for emergency distress calls. That certainly was not the case here and I don't think the coasties would appreciate it being used for the purpose you propose. Most boaters do not monitor their radios anyway.

Secondly he was breaking the same rules that I & every other fisherman with a conscience follow. Had he not kept short fish I would have just let it go like I have done in the past. It was the keeping of short fish that really angered me.

Yes I take it personally when someone parks on top of me when there is plenty of fish & structure all around. How would you feel if you parked your classic 63' vette in a parking lot far from all the other cars & some jerk parks a POS within inches of it.

16 is not just distress it is hailing and distress, a boaters safety course would serve you well, or a vhf manual. You HAIL on 16 and switch to another working channel after you get contact. There is a reason monitoring 16 is a requirement.

Edited by BIGROB, November 10 2015 - 12:52 PM.

• Captain Will likes this

#55 rlitman

rlitman

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 2175 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted November 10 2015 - 12:59 PM

LOL. How naive. As stated, this is a gross misuse of an emergency channel. It is akin to calling 911 because someone parked across your driveway.
Also, the DB is at anchor and probably has no obligation to monitor a radio. Perhaps he doesn't even have one.

The fact is that parking over your rode is a major douche move. If he wasn't pulling short fish, it would still be completely reasonable for the OP to pull in his anchor line until he reached the DB's line and cut him loose.
Losing an anchor would be getting off cheap. He deserved what he got.
  • Tonto, Sig and ProGodProGunProLife like this

#56 BIGROB

BIGROB

Banned

• Banned
  • Others:
  • 3206 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 10 2015 - 01:02 PM

LOL. How naive. As stated, this is a gross misuse of an emergency channel. It is akin to calling 911 because someone parked across your driveway.
Also, the DB is at anchor and probably has no obligation to monitor a radio. Perhaps he doesn't even have one.

The fact is that parking over your rode is a major douche move. If he wasn't pulling short fish, it would still be completely reasonable for the OP to pull in his anchor line until he reached the DB's line and cut him loose.

You need to re read my last reply.. How many days have you sailed this year? I'm pushing 230 days and my relief isn't scheduled to come for another 40, I think it's a bit naive of you for trying to lecture a professional mariner, do you hold an FCC GMDSS license? It seems a boater safety course would serve you well as well, it really pisses me off that pleasure boaters get pissed at pleasure boaters for not following rules, yet they don't even know simple crap like channel 16 is BOTH HAILING and distress.

If your gonna get pissed off at people for not following the rule of good seamanship (rule 2) or other rules for that matter, then follow and know the rules or atleast make it look like you know what your talking about

Edited by BIGROB, November 10 2015 - 01:07 PM.

#57 BIGROB

BIGROB

Banned

• Banned
  • Others:
  • 3206 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 10 2015 - 01:10 PM

http://www.boatus.or...uipment_19.html

#58 BIGROB

BIGROB

Banned

• Banned
  • Others:
  • 3206 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 10 2015 - 01:11 PM

Delete

Edited by BIGROB, November 10 2015 - 01:11 PM.

#59 Objectivist

Objectivist

Borders, Language, Culture

• Established Member
  • 4747 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted November 10 2015 - 01:30 PM

Does anyone else get the feeling that BigRob & Sig have crossed paths before?
  • Tonto, Mayhm13 and rlitman like this

#60 rlitman

rlitman

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 2175 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted November 10 2015 - 01:36 PM

If your gonna get pissed off at people for...

I guess that stick up your butt is uncomfortable, but don't you think you've waved it around enough for today?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: consequences, of, mugging, me, keeping, short, fish

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users