Consequences of mugging me & keeping short fish - Page 2 - Fishing - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Consequences of mugging me & keeping short fish

consequences of mugging me keeping short fish

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#21 Paté

Paté

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 38956 posts

Posted November 10 2015 - 10:29 AM

What if that guy was muzzling you or shooting at your targets?

That's a dick move for sure, but not worthy of a call. A nice conversation about safety followed by a smack in the head if necessary seems fitting though.
  • DOUBBLE TAP and havfun like this

# Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Topic Starter

Posted A minute ago

#22 Sig

Sig

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationWrong Island

Posted November 10 2015 - 10:29 AM

OK, but what makes it ok for the government to legislate what size fish you catch to feed your family? I know "think of the fish" or "if it could save one fishy life".

You can feed your family more easily with the money spent on bait & fuel for a 40 foot vessel than you can catching undersize fish. That equates to buying a lottery ticket to pay your mortgage.
  • Tonto, Edward_Blake, Aquabach and 2 others like this

#23 Sig

Sig

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationWrong Island

Posted November 10 2015 - 10:31 AM

That's a dick move for sure, but not worthy of a call. A nice conversation about safety followed by a smack in the head if necessary seems fitting though.

What if he was only to be fined as opposed to receiving a felony conviction? That is the case here.

#24 Paté

Paté

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 38956 posts

Posted November 10 2015 - 10:32 AM

You can feed your family more easily with the money spent on bait & fuel for a 40 foot vessel than you can catching undersize fish. That equates to buying a lottery ticket to pay your mortgage.

Trust me I know. I also own a boat and like to fish and I don't even eat and type of fish.

#25 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 4926 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted November 10 2015 - 10:33 AM

OK, but what makes it ok for the government to legislate what size fish you catch to feed your family? I know "think of the fish" or "if it could save one fishy life".

You may not be old enough to recall the days of a total moratorium on striped bass fishing. Likewise, when I could go out of Matzahpizza in the 1970s and with little experience and a little chum on a BAD day come home with thirty or forty winter flounder. Winter flounder are in all practicality extinct in the South Oyster Bay area and have been for nearly ten years. Pollution, loss of habitat, over-fishing, who knows, but the government is the only entity that can restrict some fishing so future generations will not be without. So yeah, I will report any poacher I see, whenever and wherever. Shoot next to me at Calverton with a pistol gripped and unregistered AR and I could give a shizzzat
  • Sig and flyfshr1 like this

#26 Edward_Blake

Edward_Blake

The Artist formally known as AR_Guy

• Club LIF Member
  • 6913 posts

Posted November 10 2015 - 10:33 AM

What if that guy was muzzling you or shooting at your targets?

That's just Calverton.
  • ProGodProGunProLife and rlitman like this

#27 Paté

Paté

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 38956 posts

Posted November 10 2015 - 10:34 AM

What if he was only to be fined as opposed to receiving a felony conviction? That is the case here.

So the severity of the punishment for breaking the law is the deciding factor in making the call or not?

#28 DaveJr.

DaveJr.

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 853 posts

Posted November 10 2015 - 10:34 AM

I hate poachers!
  • Sig and BUGZ like this

#29 AmericanDragon

AmericanDragon

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 711 posts

Posted November 10 2015 - 10:36 AM

*shortfishlivesmatter

Lol....Ladies and gentlemen we have a winning post!

#30 Paté

Paté

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 38956 posts

Posted November 10 2015 - 10:36 AM

You may not be old enough to recall the days of a total moratorium on striped bass fishing. Likewise, when I could go out of Matzahpizza in the 1970s and with little experience and a little chum on a BAD day come home with thirty or forty winter flounder. Winter flounder are in all practicality extinct in the South Oyster Bay area and have been for nearly ten years. Pollution, loss of habitat, over-fishing, who knows, but the government is the only entity that can restrict some fishing so future generations will not be without. So yeah, I will report any poacher I see, whenever and wherever. Shoot next to me at Calverton with a pistol gripped and unregistered AR and I could give a shizzzat

I feel the same way. That's why I posted it was a moral dilemma. And yes I'm old...

#31 Sig

Sig

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationWrong Island

Posted November 10 2015 - 10:39 AM

So the severity of the punishment for breaking the law is the deciding factor in making the call or not?

It has some bearing. I wouldn't have reported them if the penalty was death. I really don't think the SAFE laws are an apples to apples comparison with fishing regs. You are welcome to think differently. Just don't mug me fishing & we'll all be friends.
  • Paté, Mayhm13, ChiefSailer and 1 other like this

#32 Sig

Sig

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationWrong Island

Posted November 10 2015 - 10:51 AM

• CW, SCREW HIM ! Anyone skippering a forty foot boat should be aware that there are a few rules and regs out there. All of us that fish whether from kayak boat, or beach should have the number of the DEC TIPPS on speed dial.
Sig, I am proud of you !!

The number is-
  • DEC dispatchers are available 24/7 to take your poaching and polluting complaints toll-free at
  • 1-844-DEC-ECOS (1-844-332-3267). Callers may request to file a complaint anonymously.
  • Citizens can also report a violation online.
  • Contact the ECO responsible for your area. ECOs work out of their homes and patrol in and around the county they live in. Links to the regional ECO rosters are listed in the right hand column of this page. When ECOs are on patrol you may contact them through the Division of Law Enforcement dispatch at 1-877-457-5680

Also add 1-800-842-4357 for the Connecticut division of the DEC for those of you fishing the other side of the sound.

#33 C6NY

C6NY

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7904 posts

Posted November 10 2015 - 10:54 AM

That's what's called satisfaction.

#34 Tonto

Tonto

Bangkok rules. Now who has a can?

• Club LIF Member
  • 11589 posts
  • LocationBeen there, done that

Posted November 10 2015 - 11:13 AM

I think 1 of the differences is that seeing them not throw back obviously undersized fish is a clear violation, while seeing someone with an AR with a pistol grip & detachable mag is not (the shooter could be a LEO, or the AR registered).
  • killian likes this

#35 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 11553 posts

Posted November 10 2015 - 11:23 AM

Posted Image

And Bullies get Karma.
  • Tonto and loadingdockman like this

#36 BIGROB

BIGROB

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • Others:
  • 3206 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 10 2015 - 11:25 AM

I saw him out there last week also. Albeit there were 20 other boats there & he wasn't on top of me at the time. I'm sure he saw us throwing back shorts as well as others. Lack of knowledge is no defense for breaking the rules or putting another boat in possible peril.

Possible peril? Because he is over your anchor? Your really exaggerating that, and using it as justification for calling someone in.. If calling him in was right or wrong I don't know nor really care.

#37 Sig

Sig

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationWrong Island

Posted November 10 2015 - 11:33 AM

Possible peril? Because he is over your anchor? Your really exaggerating that, and using it as justification for calling someone in.. If calling him in was right or wrong I don't know nor really care.

A 40 foot boat breaking loose in 25 knots of wind crashing in a much smaller boat can be periless 3 miles offshore with water temps in the 50s.

Sent telepathically

• pequa1, helmup, FULL METAL JACKET and 1 other like this

#38 Captain Will

Captain Will

Banned

• Banned
  • 19574 posts

Posted November 10 2015 - 11:43 AM

Just to be clear- I didn't say ignorance of the law was justification for breaking the rules- hope everybody understands that. I probably would have hailed him and advised him I wasn't keen on his position and his fish looked undersize. THEN, if he told me to go eff my Mother, I would have called DEC on him.

Good on the DEC for checking you out too so he doesn't know you phoned him in.
  • grifhunter likes this

#39 BIGROB

BIGROB

Banned

• Banned
  • Others:
  • 3206 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 10 2015 - 11:44 AM

A 40 foot boat breaking loose in 25 knots of wind crashing in a much smaller boat can be periless 3 miles offshore with water temps in the 50s.

Sent telepathically

If you want to argue that then why are you out in a smaller boat in 25 knots of wind? Violates rule 2, just as much as the guy anchoring in front of you

#40 riftraft

riftraft

Banned

• Banned
  • 89 posts

Posted November 10 2015 - 11:45 AM

Good for you. [LANGUAGE FILTER] him.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: consequences, of, mugging, me, keeping, short, fish

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users