Consequences of mugging me & keeping short fish - Fishing - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Consequences of mugging me & keeping short fish

consequences of mugging me keeping short fish

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#1 Sig

Sig

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationWrong Island

Posted November 10 2015 - 09:05 AM

POPULAR

My friend & I went out Sunday morning to do some blackfishing. Much to my surprise there wasn't a boat within 2 miles from where we wanted to fish. It took me 3 attempts anchoring before I was I was satisfied with our position over the rock structure. This is a very large area that can easily hold 40+ boats without crowding anyone.

We had a slow pick going of mostly short blacks. I look up to see a 40+ foot boat running downtide & downwind right at us. The captain proceeds to put on the brakes & drop anchor about 200' in front of us. He put his vessel in reverse & now is setting his anchor uptide & upwind like somehow physics won't affect his boat. Of coarse after his boat settles in he is now 50'-60' right smack in front of us (over our anchor rode). The wind is forecast to gust to 25kts & that now has me concerned for if he breaks loose there will be little time to avoid a collision. I also can't readily move as my anchor is under his vessel. I'm also steaming about this guy just mugging the spot I'm on.

I'm trying my best to just ignore the fact that he's there & just fish. This is when I see one of the guys fishing catch what appears to be an obviously short blackie. I wait to see if they measure it & toss it back. Nope, it went right into the bucket. Next I see a porgy about the size of my hand enter the same bucket. That was the last straw as now I'm really mad. My partner & I have been putting back every fish that is undersized & these guys mug me & are keeping those fish. No way!

I grabbed my phone & googled the DEC poaching hotline. Two & half hours later here comes a DEC patrol boat steaming directly at my new pal. They board him & we see a DEC officer dumping fish over the side. The officer gets back on his boat & they proceed to drift back about 100 yards for what must have been 15-20 minutes. The DEC now approaches our vessel & we show them our catch. They proceed to tell us that the boat in question had 7 short fish on board. They then go to the poachers & hand them their tickets. That 15-20 minutes was spent writing I guess.

I checked the fines & found that it is $154.00 per count.

Moral of the story: You can either mug me or keep short fish, but you can't do both. :nono

Edited by Sig, November 10 2015 - 09:06 AM.

• grifhunter, NRATC53, Parashooter and 49 others like this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Objectivist

Objectivist

Borders, Language, Culture

• Established Member
  • 4747 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted November 10 2015 - 09:11 AM

Would you have called the DEC if he didn't mug your spot?

#3 axeman628

axeman628

Banned

• Banned
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 4005 posts
  • LocationHow did I get here?

Posted November 10 2015 - 09:13 AM

POPULAR

It's people like that guy that give the honest fisherman a bad name and ruin it for everyone else. Who knows how many times he was out and how many short fish he kept.
  • Parashooter, Tonto, Aquabach and 7 others like this

#4 Harmonic

Harmonic

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 267 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted November 10 2015 - 09:14 AM

Good job. Hate it when people keep short fish. Hurts all of us.
  • Habsfan, Sig, LongIsland Guy and 1 other like this

#5 Sig

Sig

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationWrong Island

Posted November 10 2015 - 09:17 AM

Would you have called the DEC if he didn't mug your spot?

Probably not because I wouldn't have been able to tell if the fish were short. But yes I would if I could determine that they were short. The rules are in place for all to follow.
  • Parashooter, Tonto, snowblind and 5 others like this

#6 class3

class3

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 3561 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted November 10 2015 - 09:40 AM

POPULAR

Posted Image
  • OH UNCLE PAUL, snowblind, Aquabach and 13 others like this

#7 Sig

Sig

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationWrong Island

Posted November 10 2015 - 09:44 AM

Posted Image

Bring it!
  • LongIsland Guy likes this

#8 Paté

Paté

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 38956 posts

Posted November 10 2015 - 09:52 AM

POPULAR

I was reading your post and thinking that anybody taking the fish illegally should be penalized. Then my next thought what if this was a thread about calling the SAFE Act hotline to turn in someone you (not specifically you) saw at the gun range. What a moral dilemma!

• OH UNCLE PAUL, Ransom, Tonto and 12 others like this

#9 Sig

Sig

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationWrong Island

Posted November 10 2015 - 09:55 AM

I was reading your post and thinking that anybody taking the fish illegally should be penalized. Then my next thought what if this was a thread about calling the SAFE Act hotline to turn in someone you (not specifically you) saw at the gun range. What a moral dilemma!

What if that guy was muzzling you or shooting at your targets?

Edited by Sig, November 10 2015 - 09:57 AM.

• Mayhm13 likes this

#10 gopedxr7

gopedxr7

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 4082 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted November 10 2015 - 10:02 AM

good, drives me nuts when people catch all the small ones. hunting too, my neighbors upstate shoot anything at moves while my friends and i try to let the spikes grow.

ridiculous that he set up right on top of you. and pretty dumb to be so close that you can gauge the size of the fish he had

#11 whitefoot

whitefoot

Powderfinger

• Donated Member
  • 2478 posts
  • LocationGONE TO EARTH

Posted November 10 2015 - 10:06 AM

You would make a terrific RO. Way to go alright.

#12 Captain Will

Captain Will

Banned

• Banned
  • 19574 posts

Posted November 10 2015 - 10:07 AM

I wonder if he even KNEW the fish were short, since apparently he anchored over your set with nobody else around- maybe he's just clueless? I guess that was an expensive lesson for him either way.

#13 Postal Bob

Postal Bob

Gun Guru

• 4034 posts

Posted November 10 2015 - 10:15 AM

POPULAR

No moral dilema. One is an unjust law with a felony conviction, that serves no purpose or protects anyone or anything.
The other is a fine, and protects the future fisheries.
  • grifhunter, Ransom, Tonto and 18 others like this

#14 hawkeye

hawkeye

Gunecologist

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 2261 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted November 10 2015 - 10:15 AM

POPULAR

*shortfishlivesmatter
  • Lovemyglock, Aquabach, warmnfuzzyar and 6 others like this

#15 PeepSight

PeepSight

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 15416 posts

Posted November 10 2015 - 10:16 AM

It's not the size of your boat but the way you use it. I was surprised that Al Sharpton didn't show up to harass you about catching Blackfish.
  • mason852, gettingfedup and DrBrianDDS like this

#16 Sig

Sig

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationWrong Island

Posted November 10 2015 - 10:19 AM

I wonder if he even KNEW the fish were short, since apparently he anchored over your set with nobody else around- maybe he's just clueless? I guess that was an expensive lesson for him either way.

I saw him out there last week also. Albeit there were 20 other boats there & he wasn't on top of me at the time. I'm sure he saw us throwing back shorts as well as others. Lack of knowledge is no defense for breaking the rules or putting another boat in possible peril.

Edited by Sig, November 10 2015 - 10:52 AM.

• Tonto, Aquabach, Hunter6874 and 5 others like this

#17 Hawken Woodsman

Hawken Woodsman

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 997 posts
  • LocationN.Massapequa

Posted November 10 2015 - 10:22 AM

good for them.........

#18 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4925 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted November 10 2015 - 10:23 AM

• CW, SCREW HIM ! Anyone skippering a forty foot boat should be aware that there are a few rules and regs out there. All of us that fish whether from kayak boat, or beach should have the number of the DEC TIPPS on speed dial.
Sig, I am proud of you !!

The number is-
  • DEC dispatchers are available 24/7 to take your poaching and polluting complaints toll-free at
  • 1-844-DEC-ECOS (1-844-332-3267). Callers may request to file a complaint anonymously.
  • Citizens can also report a violation online.
  • Contact the ECO responsible for your area. ECOs work out of their homes and patrol in and around the county they live in. Links to the regional ECO rosters are listed in the right hand column of this page. When ECOs are on patrol you may contact them through the Division of Law Enforcement dispatch at 1-877-457-5680

• Parashooter, Lovemyglock, Sig and 2 others like this

#19 Paté

Paté

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 38956 posts

Posted November 10 2015 - 10:25 AM

No moral dilema. One is an unjust law with a felony conviction, that serves no purpose or protects anyone or anything.
The other is a fine, and protects the future fisheries.

OK, but what makes it ok for the government to legislate what size fish you catch to feed your family? I know "think of the fish" or "if it could save one fishy life".
  • Ransom, SURFER21, pelemoss and 1 other like this

#20 Aquabach

Aquabach

Grand Poobah

• Club LIF Member
  • 21170 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted November 10 2015 - 10:27 AM

OK, but what makes it ok for the government to legislate what size fish you catch to feed your family? I know "think of the fish" or "if it could save one fishy life".

There is no right to fish.
There is a right to keep and bear arms.
They could completely outlaw hunting and fishing without taking away our rights.
What they have done with lots of laws like the unSAFE act is against our rights.
Of course they can do as they please since they don't give a crap about the Constitution.
  • grifhunter, Ransom, Tonto and 3 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: consequences, of, mugging, me, keeping, short, fish

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users