Mercruiser 5.0 engine noise with video - Fishing - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Mercruiser 5.0 engine noise with video

mercruiser 50 engine noise with video

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Joe from NY

Joe from NY

Banned

• Banned
  • 796 posts

Posted November 07 2015 - 05:40 PM

1995 mercruiser 5.0 with about 630 hours. Had flywheel and starter replaced beginning of 2014 season. No problems that season. Boat went to marina at end of season for winterization and beginning of 2015 season had this noise upon first receiving boat back. I pulled each spark plug one at a time. No difference. Oil pressure is fine. Oil looks good. Boatyard claims it is main bearing and I need a rebuilt motor job at $7,500. Since they screwed up every other job I had them do I think they are wrong. What can it be? Check out the video.

• 01TA likes this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Mr. Tri-Shield

Mr. Tri-Shield

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 2183 posts
  • LocationBohemia

Posted November 07 2015 - 05:46 PM

In the second video, it sounds like a rocker arm or a collapsed lifter. The first video sounds ugly and expensive.
  • artburg, NorthForkSportsman, LongIsland Guy and 1 other like this

#3 lichris

lichris

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3912 posts
  • LocationStuck in a liberal hell hole.

Posted November 07 2015 - 05:50 PM

What marina?

#4 nitroscope8

nitroscope8

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 889 posts
  • LocationLake Grove

Posted November 07 2015 - 06:19 PM

Pull the spark plug leads off one at a time. When the noise goes away you found the cylinder. Sounds like a wrist pin bushing worn.
  • BigH likes this

#5 infared

infared

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 597 posts

Posted November 07 2015 - 06:19 PM

I would check the flywheel again it sound tinny there known to crack at the welds and around where the center where it bolts to the crank the wrong balance does it make sure you find out if it's internally or externally balanced hope it helps you and the second video does sound like a lifter

Edited by infared, November 07 2015 - 06:22 PM.

#6 dj24hr

dj24hr

Respected Gunowner

• Donated Member
  • 228 posts

Posted November 07 2015 - 06:20 PM

agree. push rod , lifter, cracked rocker arm, upper valve train problem. pull the covers off & take a look.
  • BigH, LongIsland Guy, pitbull428 and 1 other like this

#7 Beaker

Beaker

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 505 posts
  • LocationWorking in the pits of hell!

Posted November 07 2015 - 06:37 PM

agree. push rod , lifter, cracked rocker arm, upper valve train problem. pull the covers off & take a look.

This. It looks like there is easy access, maybe an afternoon's work?

#8 Captain Will

Captain Will

Banned

• Banned
  • 19574 posts

Posted November 07 2015 - 07:11 PM

Have you got a compression tester or would you like to borrow one? The U-joints can sound nasty too, usually more of a clunking sound, but on a video we can't tell where the noise is coming from. Is it FWC? Do you smell antifreeze? Is it smoking?

#9 surly

surly

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 271 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted November 07 2015 - 07:59 PM

It sounds FUBARed and expensive. good luck

#10 Ransom

Ransom

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 6259 posts
  • LocationCuomo's State

Posted November 07 2015 - 08:06 PM

Fly wheel hitting case (cover) its hitting something under there that's your problem

Edited by Ransom, November 07 2015 - 08:07 PM.

#11 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24586 posts

Posted November 07 2015 - 08:20 PM

Does the noise change when the transmission is engaged? A cracked/loose flywheel can make some awful sounds but usually changes sound when load is put on it, If your flywheel was changed a year ago and if it were not proerly torqued or it cracked, you could end up with noises like this

#12 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 24586 posts

Posted November 07 2015 - 08:21 PM

Fly wheel hitting case (cover) its hitting something under there that's your problem

also possible

#13 Joe from NY

Joe from NY

Banned

• Banned
  • 796 posts

Posted November 09 2015 - 10:53 AM

Have you got a compression tester or would you like to borrow one? The U-joints can sound nasty too, usually more of a clunking sound, but on a video we can't tell where the noise is coming from. Is it FWC? Do you smell antifreeze? Is it smoking?

Raw water cooled and no smoke anywhere.

#14 BUGZ

BUGZ

Sharp Shooter!

• 445 posts
  • LocationEX--Long Islander

Posted November 09 2015 - 11:16 AM

When you own a boat The happiest day is when you buy it and sell it.
  • NRATC53 likes this

#15 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 11551 posts

Posted November 09 2015 - 11:27 AM

Could easily be related to the new flywheel - cracked, loose, a bolt backed out - How tough is access to the flywheel end of hte engine? (looks unpleasant)

Rocker arm loosened up - pushrod hammers on the rocker until it escapes, looks fairly easy to pop the covers off and check, and an easy fix.

Rod bearing - also fairly easy to check, pull the sparkplugs, poke a screwdriver in until you can feel the piston, turn the crank with a wrench (a WRENCH, NOT the starter) a little back and forth and you can tell - the piston should move instantly with the crank. If the piston doesn't move right away you found it.
Drain the oil and look for the silvery bearing filings too.

a rod knock is usually a deeper noise, can't really tell from the video, but If the flywheel access is as tough as it looks, I'd start with checking the rockers and pistons... if those are OK, then I'd be getting in behind there to check the flywheel. (of course if the flywheel end is easy access, check it first)

You DID check the oil right?

#16 rts414

rts414

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 466 posts

Posted November 09 2015 - 12:12 PM

First video sounds like something loose rattling around, second more like valve train noise. Go to Harbor Freight or AutoZone and get a cheap stethoscope and listen to where the noise is loudest to try and narrow it down.
  • Parashooter likes this

#17 Joe from NY

Joe from NY

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • 796 posts

Posted November 09 2015 - 11:28 PM

I was just trying to rule out any issues that could be fixed without taking the motor out. When they put it back in the boat after the flywheel and starter job, they hit the back of the engine hatch opening with the distributor cap and broke an electrode tower. Just cracked it and left it broken at a 45 degree angle. They never even noticed it during their winter service. I only spotted it when trying to diagnose my current issue. This photo is after I tried to jam it back on. It was quite skewed initially. The cap was new that season also.
Posted Image

#18 Joe from NY

Joe from NY

Banned

• Banned
  • 796 posts

Posted November 09 2015 - 11:35 PM

That's why I am not going anywhere near that yard anymore

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#19 Captain Will

Captain Will

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • 19574 posts

Posted November 10 2015 - 02:10 AM

Have you checked the timing? If the distributor got whacked like that it may have screwed the clocking up and it may be so far advanced it's firing way BTDC- that would sound a lot like your video.

#20 Joe from NY

Joe from NY

Banned

• Banned
  • 796 posts

Posted November 10 2015 - 02:32 AM

When the guy came and did the both heads, he said he reset the distributor to the proper spot, but I think he wouldn't know if it was screwed up to begin with. That is a good point Will.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mercruiser, 50, engine, noise, with, video

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users