Custom ballistics calculator charts? - Open Firearm Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Custom ballistics calculator charts?

custom ballistics calculator charts

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 C6NY

C6NY

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7904 posts

Posted October 11 2015 - 06:49 AM

does anyone know of a website where you can make your own ballistics chart with different factory Ammo? I'm looking for one where you can custom make ones comparing different ammos of the same caliber on the same graph. My new VX-3 scope comes with a feature where you give Leupold a specific load and they make you a custom etched elevation knob with that ammos makings on it out to 800 yards or whatever it works out to.
I'm looking to compare specific brands side by side to see if I want or need to get different dials. They give you one free but additional ones cost like $60 or so.
This is just an example I pulled off the web to show what I'm looking for. I want to punch in data and have two(or more)different loads of the same caliber superimposed of the same chart to show me how the compare in drop over yardage. Both rounds would be .308, not different caliber as this example. I tried searching but couldn't come up with what I'm looking for.
Example -
http://i141.photobuc...308500yards.jpg

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 jarheadsergeant

jarheadsergeant

#1 Grade A Super Stud

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 1287 posts

Posted October 11 2015 - 07:05 AM

I use a app called shooter. It has the ability to compare some stuff. Easiest way when looking at tables is to pick a given distance and look at drop and wind drift for comparable cartridges.

#3 PandM

PandM

moved to greener pastures

• Club LIF Member
  • 10857 posts

Posted October 11 2015 - 07:21 AM

May not fit in with exactly what you're looking for, but I am using an IPhone ap called "iStrelok" and it's a great ap (thanks Hawkeye for turning me on to this).

http://istrelok.bori...obi/manual.html

You might find this useful as well.

http://www.sniperfor...searchid=943336

#4 PandM

PandM

moved to greener pastures

• Club LIF Member
  • 10857 posts

Posted October 11 2015 - 07:37 AM

Get ready to waste some time..........

http://www.jbmballis.../software.shtml

#5 Captain Will

Captain Will

Banned

• Banned
  • 19574 posts

Posted October 11 2015 - 07:58 AM

Your bet bet might be to use a ballistiic calculator that's good and outputs .csv and then use another program (MS Graph is kinda hiidden in Word) to create your overlaying graph. I've done this with data like cam profiles, you can dump values to Excel and convert right into graphing functions. Most of the variables like drag as a function of coefficient and velocity and the math/algorithms can also be computed natively in regular old Excel. If you find a ballistics calculator that's Excel or VB based, should be pretty easy to reverse engineer or strip values from.

#6 Rrudo74901

Rrudo74901

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1614 posts
  • LocationInside the Iron Curtain

Posted October 11 2015 - 09:10 AM

isnipe app is outstanding.
If you reload, it's great. It has most if not all standard loads and you can design each for a specific rifle. Load in the info and get the charts. It will also give you windage and hold over data if you allow it to access your location.
Very cool and useful app

#7 Mad Russian

Mad Russian

Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 22005 posts
  • LocationUltimate irony is admiring a foreign President more than your own!

Posted October 11 2015 - 11:42 AM

Custom turrets sound like a gimmicks. Once made for a particular, load what then? What if you change the powder load/type, bullet profile, primer brand? All those things make a custom turret worthless.
Better off getting a scope with resetable turrets and writing a note that you tape to the stock.
  • Flagg888 likes this

#8 C6NY

C6NY

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7904 posts

Posted October 11 2015 - 03:32 PM

Custom turrets sound like a gimmicks. Once made for a particular, load what then? What if you change the powder load/type, bullet profile, primer brand? All those things make a custom turret worthless.
Better off getting a scope with resetable turrets and writing a note that you tape to the stock.

I already have the Leupold CDS so getting a scope that doesn't have it in this instance is a moot point. I also don't roll my own so two different OTC loads should cover all my needs for hunting med and large across the country. From eastern white tail at 75 yards to elk at 500 yards. I also happen to like the newer technology and don't think it's a gimmick, I'm betting it's here to stay.

Thanks to all that offered links.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: custom, ballistics, calculator, charts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users