Anyone bass fishing the surf ? - Fishing - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Anyone bass fishing the surf ?

anyone bass fishing the surf

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 hotglock

hotglock

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 1179 posts

Posted September 21 2015 - 02:16 PM

How you all doing this season?  No luck here , I am going to go throw a bucktail at Gilgo this evening and see if I get lucky

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 C6NY

C6NY

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7904 posts

Posted September 21 2015 - 02:24 PM

Getting close to the autumn moon and the waters started to cool off. Big bass should be biting good from here on out. Try swimming an eel out there as well as buck tails. Good luck and give us a report. We'll be out at Montauk boat bassin this weekend for the full moon.
  • Sig likes this

#3 Kamakazi118

Kamakazi118

Respected Gunowner

• 278 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted September 21 2015 - 02:40 PM

I'll be drifting eels a night or two during this week and going forward. I haven't been out yet, but I my local bait store has been selling out of eels lately so they must be starting to bite.

#4 Fastphil

Fastphil

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted September 21 2015 - 02:53 PM

Drowned some eels Saturday morning in Moriches inlet. Didn't see anyone catch anything . Hope it picks up soon because fluke season is done

#5 trapshooterbob

trapshooterbob

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 4438 posts
  • LocationBohemia, NY

Posted September 21 2015 - 03:30 PM

Had a friend drift the Shinnecock inlet yesterday. Caught three on the outgoing. Kept 2. Two guys on the boat.

#6 Sig

Sig

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationWrong Island

Posted September 21 2015 - 05:14 PM

We'll be out at Montauk boat bassin this weekend for the full moon.

We're planning on running my buddy's boat out there Thursday. Weather looks iffy. We'll be over at Snug if we go.

#7 zx9allday

zx9allday

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 3151 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted September 21 2015 - 05:17 PM

Getting all my guides re-done, hopefully b out in the surf soon!

#8 C6NY

C6NY

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 7904 posts

Posted September 21 2015 - 05:58 PM

We're planning on running my buddy's boat out there Thursday. Weather looks iffy. We'll be over at Snug if we go.

Catch em up. Post a report for us please.

#9 hotglock

hotglock

Gun Guru

• 1179 posts

Posted September 21 2015 - 08:25 PM

Not a single strike. Starting to wonder if I am doing something wrong or just always in the wrong spot

#10 C6NY

C6NY

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7904 posts

Posted September 21 2015 - 09:26 PM

Not a single strike. Starting to wonder if I am doing something wrong or just always in the wrong spot

What color buck tails you throwing?

#11 C6NY

C6NY

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 7904 posts

Posted September 21 2015 - 09:36 PM

Are you fishing when the current is Running? Outgoing is usually best in the fall when the bait is getting washed out or migrating out to deep water. Are you looking where you want to fish in the daytime to find out how the water is moving on the tides? Bass love to set up on rips and wait for bait to tumble right to them. Big bass are often lazy and wait for dinner to come right to them. Are you mixing your lures up? Match the hatch, try to use lures that resemble what's in the water at the time they're feeding. Bunker like lures are good this time of season as are eels though most anything can work in the fall. This is all elementary stuff but I don't know how versed you are at the sport. If you know all this already, disregard and come up with a bunch of good excuses why you came home empty handed. PM me if you need some, I've used them all and can write a book on excuses alone.

#12 hotglock

hotglock

Gun Guru

• 1179 posts

Posted September 22 2015 - 06:11 AM

White buck tail with trailer, bunker 6 inch shad, bunker top water popper, pearl 6 inch shad. Those were what I was throwing last night for about two and a half hours on the outgoing. I usually always fish the outgoing

I always hit the 4x4 beaches. Sore thumb, gilgo. Been fishing both for a while, never really seen much structure there. But I don't know where else to try

#13 BillyBonds

BillyBonds

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 6828 posts

Posted September 22 2015 - 06:23 AM

Never had much luck at sore thumb, much better at demo.

#14 C6NY

C6NY

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 7904 posts

Posted September 22 2015 - 06:40 AM

I would suggest using dark colored buck tails and other darker lures at night and save the white for daytime. Bright colored stuff at night often spooks fish. I would also try different heights of the water column. Slow retrieve near bottom, quicker to get the lure mid column and fast for surface. They could be eating anywhere. Did you notice any phosphorescence in the water? It's common in late summer and sometimes into fall. The green glow lighting up lure and line will usually shut down the bite.
Just look in the water and see where you get white water piling up. It's hard to see on dark nights so that why you should do a day trip to see where the sand bars are. The white water churning is what you're looking for. You could be 50' from a rip and catch nothing or fishing it and getting whacked pretty good.

#15 hotglock

hotglock

Gun Guru

• 1179 posts

Posted September 22 2015 - 06:57 AM

Thank you for the tips. I will just have to keep going at it. I have caught many bass off a boat. There is just something about pulling a bass out of the surf that keeps me coming back.

Sometimes I feel I am not getting the lure out far enough but then I hear a lot of guys saying they catch most right in the white water
  • C6NY likes this

#16 BillyBonds

BillyBonds

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 6828 posts

Posted September 22 2015 - 08:09 AM

I've only ever caught bass off the surf with clams. Every time I use chunks or artificials, I get nothing but blues. I am extremely new to this whole thing so I can most certainly be doing something wrong still.

#17 hotglock

hotglock

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 1179 posts

Posted September 22 2015 - 08:21 AM

It is def frustrating. I am hoping it will all pay off one day.

Yeah I want to hit on a plug or lure.

#18 hotglock

hotglock

Gun Guru

• 1179 posts

Posted September 22 2015 - 07:31 PM

Going to give demo a shot tomorrow night. I'll keep the plugs dark at night
  • C6NY likes this

#19 mrchow

mrchow

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted September 27 2015 - 06:16 AM

Been doing n shore every night plenty of bait but no fish

#20 jarheadsergeant

jarheadsergeant

#1 Grade A Super Stud

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 1287 posts

Posted September 27 2015 - 03:02 PM

I've been out three times this week on the south shore in the GSB. This morning I was on a dock with a rubber fish and had a striper following it, didn't bite. Lots of bait in the water.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anyone, bass, fishing, the, surf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users