Snapper - Fishing - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Snapper

snapper

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 C6NY

C6NY

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7904 posts

Posted September 05 2015 - 01:07 PM

Just got back from Kings Park Bluff. My wife's nephew is 5 years old and we figured we'd take him for his first fishing venture. I didn't want to take him on a boat yet and just wanted to see if he had the patience for it. I grew up in the Commack/KP area and spent many a day catching snappers down at the bluff. It been years since I had fished there though but I remember catching many quite large snapper, especially in Aug, Sept.
When the waters moving it was rarely hard to collect a bunch pretty quickly.

I brought the usual arsenal, small spinning outfits, snapper corks, spearing and artificial snapper zappers and sidewinders. Started out with The spearing as he's to young to cast yet. We caught the outgoing and there were a couple others fishing with no luck. One kid said its been a terrible summer for snaps.
Well I rigged up and not a touch for a while then got the tails bitten off a couple spearing. I was able to retrieve and see the smallest snapper (2.5-3.5") following the spearing. Switched to the zappers and they also were followed by these minuscule blues. They looked like they just hatched out 2-3 weeks ago. I never such small fish this late in the season. Anyone seeing the same?
I haven't been snapper fishing in years and want to take him again. South shore any better, like the dock at Captree, with some fish actually large enough to get a snapper hook in its mouth? Or are they small all over? Thanks.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 4926 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted September 05 2015 - 03:09 PM

My wife and I love barbecued snappers, and I usually cast and troll up a ten fish limit with ease from my kayak. Not this year. I thought last year was pretty poor and this year in the Matzahpizza area is way worse. Have only had one day in fifteen or so where I actually caught ten and most days am lucky to catch three or four. And similarly to you, I have started catching the tiniest snappers the past two weeks, a;lmost two small to even liveline with any hope of catching a keeper fluke as even the 13" shorts can swallow these snappers whole. Once the water cools by early October, they will all be gone. I have all but given up any thoughts of freezing any for over the winter.

There are thousands of peanut bunker, spearing and other baitfish swimming about nearly unmolested in the backbay area where I yak. At first I thought maybe the snappers simply preferred real fish instead of my metal offerings. I wish.

Edited by pequa1, September 05 2015 - 03:11 PM.

• C6NY likes this

#3 duramaxxed

duramaxxed

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 123 posts
  • LocationEast End, Long Island

Posted September 05 2015 - 03:29 PM

The snapper are insane here out east. Fishing off small bridges in canals on the back roads, as soon as your bait hits the water, you get a bite. Start at the beginning of the incoming tide and fish all through it using Bunker as bait, and bring a big bucket.

#4 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4926 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted September 05 2015 - 05:43 PM

wish they were here. I think we are still paying the price of Sandy in Nassau. Don't need that big bucket though, legal limit is ten.

#5 Barnslayer

Barnslayer

Banned

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationPort Washington

Posted September 05 2015 - 05:56 PM

Okay. Not at all what I thought this was gonna be about.
  • Clayshooter631, C6NY and PWGUNNY like this

#6 Mr. Tri-Shield

Mr. Tri-Shield

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 2183 posts
  • LocationBohemia

Posted September 05 2015 - 06:42 PM

Okay. Not at all what I thought this was gonna be about.

At least Im not alone...
  • Barnslayer likes this

#7 C6NY

C6NY

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7904 posts

Posted September 05 2015 - 07:02 PM

My wife and I love barbecued snappers, and I usually cast and troll up a ten fish limit with ease from my kayak. Not this year. I thought last year was pretty poor and this year in the Matzahpizza area is way worse. Have only had one day in fifteen or so where I actually caught ten and most days am lucky to catch three or four. And similarly to you, I have started catching the tiniest snappers the past two weeks, a;lmost two small to even liveline with any hope of catching a keeper fluke as even the 13" shorts can swallow these snappers whole. Once the water cools by early October, they will all be gone. I have all but given up any thoughts of freezing any for over the winter.

There are thousands of peanut bunker, spearing and other baitfish swimming about nearly unmolested in the backbay area where I yak. At first I thought maybe the snappers simply preferred real fish instead of my metal offerings. I wish.

Actually snagged a few live spearing fishing the sidewinders this morning, even snapped a small herring. There were clouds of bait in the water and I was telling the kid where's there's bait there's predators, well, I was wrong! Nada, just those little Pukes that could only snip the tail off a small spearing.
I get the fisherman magazine delivered every week but took it for granted that I could go back to my old haunt and slay them, I should have read it. After I posted I read it it said snapper were very slow at the bluff but they're catching huge ones( almost bay blue) sized ones at Captree. Maybe next week.

#8 Dan 0351

Dan 0351

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member

• 7808 posts

Posted September 05 2015 - 07:06 PM

I saw a bunch tonight chasing spearing off the docks in Port Jeff. I also saw a group of 6 large (10" - 12") fish right next to the dock. I couldn't tell if they were big snappers or maybe bunker? Would bunker be schooled in 6 next to a dock?

#9 liberty_on_LI

liberty_on_LI

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSomewhere I can see you but you can't see me yet

Posted September 05 2015 - 07:35 PM

I have snapper going nuts off my dock in lindenhurst, incoming tide and hours after high tide on its way out. They are defiantly small this year but I was watching them hit hard as I sat watching the sunset from the dock.
  • C6NY likes this

#10 C6NY

C6NY

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7904 posts

Posted September 05 2015 - 08:40 PM

I saw a bunch tonight chasing spearing off the docks in Port Jeff. I also saw a group of 6 large (10" - 12") fish right next to the dock. I couldn't tell if they were big snappers or maybe bunker? Would bunker be schooled in 6 next to a dock?

They could be near the dock, I've seen it before. Bunker usually swim slow and lazily, snappers and blues are fast movers. If the bunker is being pushed by blues/bass then they'll be moving quick but you seen a bunch flipping out of the water just trying to survive. Bunker schools are often big pods of fish though unless the 6 go separated from the main body. But don't listen to me, I can't even catch a lousy snapper!

#11 Dan 0351

Dan 0351

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member

• 7808 posts

Posted September 05 2015 - 08:46 PM

They could be near the dock, I've seen it before. Bunker usually swim slow and lazily, snappers and blues are fast movers. If the bunker is being pushed by blues/bass then they'll be moving quick but you seen a bunch flipping out of the water just trying to survive. Bunker schools are often big pods of fish though unless the 6 go separated from the main body. But don't listen to me, I can't even catch a lousy snapper!

OK, may have been Bunker. I lived on a canal and had a Grady in the water for many years. I've seen 1000's in schools, snagged them for bait, seen them scrambling away from Blues/Stripers 100's of times from my boat and the surf, and even seen them in the talons of Osprey numerous times - just never saw a small group of them hanging around a dock, slowly swimming away then slowly returning, over and over.
  • C6NY likes this

#12 Sheeple

Sheeple

Banned

• Banned
  • 10933 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted September 05 2015 - 08:55 PM

Snappers? What are those? I haven't caught something in awhile...last time I caught Snapper's was 10+ years ago.

Have seen huge schools of Killi and some guy caught a sand shark off seaman's neck and that was it.

#13 Diesel1

Diesel1

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3586 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted September 06 2015 - 08:23 PM

Could be pilot fish which are awesome to catch while snapper fishing. If they had black stripes on the back, they were pilots. Usually in small schools well under a dozen. So much fun to catch on light light tackle.

#14 Fastphil

Fastphil

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted September 06 2015 - 09:07 PM

Guy was catching snappers today at the boat ramp on Maple ave. in East Moriches. Couldn't beleave how small they were for September. 4-5"

#15 Jakef150

Jakef150

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 306 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted September 06 2015 - 09:18 PM

Tried to fishing with my kids for snappers- dead(empty)

We fished at sore thumb today. Nothing.

#16 Dan 0351

Dan 0351

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member

• 7808 posts

Posted September 06 2015 - 09:46 PM

Could be pilot fish which are awesome to catch while snapper fishing. If they had black stripes on the back, they were pilots. Usually in small schools well under a dozen. So much fun to catch on light light tackle.

No stripes, just greenish tops with a few darker spots.

#17 M1014

M1014

Gun Guru

• 1274 posts

Posted September 06 2015 - 11:58 PM

I was in port jeff tonight at danfords marina. i saw some nice schools of snapper all night. nothing like the south shore this year

#18 Brooklynite

Brooklynite

Sharp Shooter!

• 463 posts

Posted September 07 2015 - 12:01 AM

I wouldn't eat it for a million bucks, but I saw a snapper strike at some spearing swimming in the Gowanus canal 2 days ago.

#19 BillyBonds

BillyBonds

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 6828 posts

Posted September 07 2015 - 08:52 AM

Saw schools of tiny snapper circling the marina in Bluepoint yesterday morning. Past 2 years, all I've found is tiny snappers. 4" +/-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users