Surf Blaster dilemma - Page 3 - Fishing - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Surf Blaster dilemma

surf blaster dilemma

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 Nazz315430

Nazz315430

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 387 posts
  • LocationOyster Bay

Posted September 14 2015 - 05:23 PM

Finally found a mold that is going to work.
Latest test fire got me out about 200 yards, the weak point was the frozen bait mold. Too many inconsistencies with it.
I had a friend with a lathe make up a wooden duplicate. Actually three of them, and we are making a bait mold that will be a perfect fit for the barrel.
It will be a three pack made of rubber, which is not sensitive to heat or cold.
Once i have that done, i am confident i will get the three hundred yards i am looking for, and then it's off to Montauk to spend a night or two there trying it out.
I'll keep you posted.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3439.jpg

• Tonto, Mad Russian, li02liberty and 1 other like this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#42 mrchow

mrchow

Advanced Member

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted September 14 2015 - 06:44 PM

Only 1 problem tons of bunker but no fish on them

#43 Nazz315430

Nazz315430

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 387 posts
  • LocationOyster Bay

Posted October 10 2015 - 07:23 AM

Fished the Sore thumb thursday night, and the wind was bad, current was pushing my bait all over the place, and once there was a massive swarm of snapper chasing spearing, but never had a hit all night.
I threw everything from bunker, to clams and even fished for some Blackfish by the rocks with crab, and not a single bite.

#44 Nazz315430

Nazz315430

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 387 posts
  • LocationOyster Bay

Posted November 06 2015 - 08:37 AM

Just a little update on the SB.
Still fine tuning the mold, running into cost issues with that. But it's a minor detail.
So far i am getting just about 200 yards out of it fairly consistently,
If i can get the frozen bait mold fine tuned, i am fairly confident i can get 300 yards out of it.

#45 DrBrianDDS

DrBrianDDS

Dentist

• Topic Starter
  • Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Club LIF Member, Donated Member

• 473 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted November 06 2015 - 08:45 AM

Any video?

#46 Nazz315430

Nazz315430

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 387 posts
  • LocationOyster Bay

Posted November 06 2015 - 08:58 AM

Not of the distance, but i have a few that show it being fired in the earlier stages.
Since the video, i have taken 1 foot off the length of the barrel, added a bipod and rod holder. which helps make it easier for 1 person to use it.
I have them on my phone and will post them later when i get home.

#47 jimmy958

jimmy958

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 1737 posts

Posted December 26 2015 - 11:27 AM

Hey OP, this is not you in the video, is it? If not, here is a video of a Blaster at work.

https://www.facebook...526785/?fref=nf
  • Mad Russian likes this

#48 Nazz315430

Nazz315430

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 387 posts
  • LocationOyster Bay

Posted December 26 2015 - 11:40 AM

Anyone can get one of those blasters, that guy is located in Florida and sells them for $1000 a piece, and the bait molds for $40 each.
I made mine, which doesn't look as nice as that for about $250.
I'm waiting until someone does something stupid with it like blow a hole in a boat or shoot a guy off a kayak and then they'll ban them.
At that point i'll be out $200 which is a lot better than being out 1000.
I have someone making my rubber molds for me, and that should be done in the next week or so.
So i won't be ready to go full blown until next season.
As of the last test in Oyster Bay, i was getting 200 yards per shot.
  • Mad Russian likes this

#49 Captain Will

Captain Will

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • 19574 posts

Posted December 26 2015 - 12:07 PM

It looks like, from the pic earlier in the thread, that you are using a ball valve and a PVC barrel.
If you want maximum distance, IMO you would benefit from studying how higher end potato guns and t shirt launchers are made. Look into a sprinkler valve (bleeding off manually pops a diphragm with much better flow characteristics than opening a ball valve, and an easy retrofit to your system) and using extruded aluminum or DOM steel tube because that has a smooth wall and should get you a lot better performance than PVC. Even ABS is smoother than PVC., all the PVC pipe I have ever seen is all ripply on the inside and that equates to friction.

How is your line currently fed? Directly from your rod/reel combo or a front mounted spool, or ?? That tether is probably the other major drag contributor.

I wouldn't pa y a thousand bucks for something I could make myself either, who cares what it looks like, if it does the job.

#50 Nazz315430

Nazz315430

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 387 posts
  • LocationOyster Bay

Posted December 26 2015 - 12:23 PM

I am using 90 b steel leader that is going to a split ring to the main one off the reel. The steel leader is about 7 ft long. That is how i attached the frozen bait bullet to the reel.
It is a coated leader, and is pretty flexible.
I agree what you are saying about friction. But I am already getting 200 yards, I expect with eh bait mold refined, then if i'm getting 250-300 yards, then what more can i ask for.
I can only imagine what it would be like trying to reel in a big fish from 300 yards out. lol
  • Captain Will likes this

#51 Captain Will

Captain Will

Banned

• Banned
  • 19574 posts

Posted December 26 2015 - 01:05 PM

, then if i'm getting 250-300 yards, then what more can i ask for.

I was gonna say 400 yds, 'cuz that's just the way I think. ;)

#52 LiDad

LiDad

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 10011 posts
  • LocationLindenhurst

Posted December 26 2015 - 02:53 PM

Looks like you have to freeze the bait/rig projectile. Not the best bait in many cases for bass.

#53 Nazz315430

Nazz315430

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 387 posts
  • LocationOyster Bay

Posted December 26 2015 - 03:43 PM

It takes about 2 minutes on average for a huge bunker chunk to thaw out. The other thing that you should do, is not only use water to freeze the projectile, but make it a chum mix. Serves a dual purpose, it gets the projectile and bait out there, and scents and makes the water more attractive with the chum.
Also remember you don't have to necessarily target only bass, this will work with any species fish.
Catching a big cow would be the icing on the cake, but to quite honest I would feel like it would be more an accomplishment for me to catch a big cow on something like a plug, or bucktail, but thats just my personal preference.

#54 LiDad

LiDad

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 10011 posts
  • LocationLindenhurst

Posted December 26 2015 - 03:50 PM

My point was frozen bait in general isn't as good as fresh, even if just frozen a short time.

The pics show a lot of sharks but I'm not seeking shark from shore much.

#55 Nazz315430

Nazz315430

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 387 posts
  • LocationOyster Bay

Posted December 26 2015 - 04:55 PM

Agreed on the bait,
The chum just helps a bit.
I'm sure there is a way to fire a whole unfrozen bunker or other bait fish. It would just be a matter of having a disk or some other material between what your firing and where the initial blast of air comes through when you hit the valve. Might not get the maximum distance, but i would bet it would get you out there a fair distance 125 psi is a lot of pressure.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: surf, blaster, dilemma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users