Surf Blaster dilemma - Page 2 - Fishing - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Surf Blaster dilemma

surf blaster dilemma

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 Nazz315430

Nazz315430

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 387 posts
  • LocationOyster Bay

Posted August 02 2015 - 09:13 PM

Still only getting about 500 ft.
I chopped a foot off the barrel. and modified the bait mold.
Now using latex for a mold, and getting away from the 2" pvc mold i started with.
Lets see what happens this weekend.
  • Mad Russian likes this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 grifhunter

grifhunter

Sifting Through the Ruins

• Club LIF Member
  • 7937 posts
  • LocationTraffic congestion Exits 43-49

Posted August 02 2015 - 09:58 PM

My that is one big air gun!

Have you looked into whether the discharge of airguns is legal in the Town of East Hampton or in the New York State Parks?
Hate to see all that hard work confiscated by the local LE.

#23 Sig

Sig

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationWrong Island

Posted August 02 2015 - 10:23 PM

Pretty cool but I'd be concerned about the possibility of hitting a boat or worse a boater with that chunk of ice.

#24 lichris

lichris

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3912 posts
  • LocationStuck in a liberal hell hole.

Posted August 03 2015 - 04:46 AM

"No one needs more then 7 bunker to catch a strippppah"
  • Mad Russian and Banzai like this

#25 DrBrianDDS

DrBrianDDS

Dentist

• Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Club LIF Member, Donated Member

• 473 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted August 03 2015 - 06:25 AM

Every worry about forgetting to open the bail on your reel? I'd like to see that. Haha
  • Parashooter, ColtEd, Mad Russian and 1 other like this

#26 Captain Will

Captain Will

Banned

• Banned
  • 19574 posts

Posted August 03 2015 - 06:31 AM

You would be better off using an aluminum tube since PVC tube has a texture inside it- and also flexes.

You can make your bait mold from silicone rubber, the material costs a bit but you make a wood box that fits closely around it, then bandsaw through the middle and remove your plug, leaving you a nice mold cavity.

I think you should try for the size of the barrel ID, as the ice freezes it will get slightly larger. If you saw off another length of barrel, you can use it as a pre-sizer, simply drop your projectile into it and let it melt its way through, now you will have the barrel ID perfectly.

I am busy as all heck right now, but I know somebody who would make your silicone mold for a fair price, feel free to PM if you want his contact info. He specializes in weird stuff like this and has quite a bit of urethane casting experience.

It is probably also worth mentioning that propane can be used to make an internal combustion variant, in that case you would need to upgrade to DOM steel tube, I would not trust aluminum.
I have made potato cannon using this method in the past. Which is basically what you have- a potato launcher that has been adapted to cast bait. A compressor with a sprinkler valve (diaphragm valve) also works well.
  • Mad Russian likes this

#27 Mad Russian

Mad Russian

Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!

• Donated Member
  • 22005 posts
  • LocationUltimate irony is admiring a foreign President more than your own!

Posted August 03 2015 - 06:38 AM

Is this really fishing or hunting?
  • Captain Will, Sig and li02liberty like this

#28 Sig

Sig

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationWrong Island

Posted August 03 2015 - 08:35 AM

Is this really fishing or hunting?

We all know this is really for drone combat. "You see officer, I was testing my new bait launcher when this helicopter thingy flew into it" :mosking:
  • pequa1 and Mad Russian like this

#29 Nazz315430

Nazz315430

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 387 posts
  • LocationOyster Bay

Posted August 05 2015 - 05:06 AM

The surf blaster is 100% legal, it falls under the same laws asa potato gun which is also legal. So i'm not worried about that.
As far as leaving the bale closed when you fire it. I haven't done it, but i am sure it will destroy the bale. It really comes out of the barrel with a lot of force.
Whether you label it fishing or hunting , i guess depends on the individual. All i know when fish i want to do what i can to maximize my chances of catching fish.
I thought about the drone thing, but somehow I think i would have more of a legal issue going that way.
People are really getting freaked out when they see a drone.

I also thought about the legal part of this. I am sure it will be ok until someone does something stupid like shooting a guy on a boat or kayak, or torpedoing a swimmer. lol Hopefully that won't happen anytime soon.
I have about 200 invested in the project, and if they ban them. Then i am out 200.
I would feel a lot worse if i bought it online for 1000 and then they banned it.
So i guess i will keep going with it and see what happens.

#30 4x4Blazer

4x4Blazer

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted August 05 2015 - 07:58 AM

Thats a big chunk of ice, any idea how long it will take to melt and actually start fishing?
  • Tonto and Sig like this

#31 Nazz315430

Nazz315430

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 387 posts
  • LocationOyster Bay

Posted August 05 2015 - 04:20 PM

Here is the updated version minus the 6 foot barrel.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3334.JPG

• Mad Russian likes this

#32 Nazz315430

Nazz315430

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 387 posts
  • LocationOyster Bay

Posted August 05 2015 - 04:22 PM

The thinner PVC is to hold the rod. The heavier 2" pvc is where the Barrel attaches to.
The legs are now cocked out to more of an angle to support the added weight of the barrel. Once it's fine tuned and ready to go, i'm going to give a new paint job. lol

#33 Nazz315430

Nazz315430

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 387 posts
  • LocationOyster Bay

Posted August 21 2015 - 08:13 AM

I got the SB tweaked after making a few changes. The issue now is fine tuning the bait mold.
I have decided to go with making it out of latex, and already know how i am going to approach it.

Doe anyone know where I can get a product called OOMOO-30 ?? It is pretty expensive and although i have been shopping around it's still pretty pricey/ It's a latex material, and i need a gallon of it.

Nazz315430

#34 GMAN3006

GMAN3006

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 300 posts
  • LocationHICKVILLE

Posted August 21 2015 - 09:26 AM

how long is it going to take a chunk of ice like that to melt ?

#35 Nazz315430

Nazz315430

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 387 posts
  • LocationOyster Bay

Posted August 21 2015 - 10:02 AM

The bait bullet is 2" x 8" , weighs approx. 11 ounces, and after it hits the water it takes anywhere from a minute to a minute and a half to melt.
At that point the baited hook starts to move around as the sinker holds fast on the bottom.

#36 Nazz315430

Nazz315430

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 387 posts
  • LocationOyster Bay

Posted August 21 2015 - 10:05 AM

Now i also removed that extended piece of 2" pvc you see in the previous pic.
Now I go straight to the barrel using a 2" to 1"coupler. which is more like a firing pin hitting the primer on a bullet instead of having to travel the extra distance to get to it.

#37 BillyBonds

BillyBonds

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 6828 posts

Posted August 21 2015 - 10:15 AM

I thought stripers patrolled the surf preying on baitfish that were getting churned up by the breakers? Yet the purpose of this device is to get your bait well beyond that?

#38 Nazz315430

Nazz315430

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 387 posts
  • LocationOyster Bay

Posted August 21 2015 - 10:46 AM

If i need to. I want to have the option of being able to get to the deep water if i need to.
On those hot summer days when the water gets too hot and the fish head out to the deeper cooler water, i want to be able to get to them.
Plus, i can adjust the air pressure, I can get out 300 yards or 50 yards if i want to .
It's all about the PSI.
  • Mad Russian likes this

#39 DrBrianDDS

DrBrianDDS

Dentist

• Topic Starter
  • Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Club LIF Member, Donated Member

• 473 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted August 21 2015 - 02:21 PM

You may have to shoot your bait past the shoreline ice by the time this thing is ready. JK. I'm interested to see your final mods and see it on the beach!

#40 Nazz315430

Nazz315430

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 387 posts
  • LocationOyster Bay

Posted August 21 2015 - 03:45 PM

i tested it last night and got about 100-125 yards out of it.
It's just tweaking the bait mold.
I already have the rigs made up with 90 lb test steel leader and 6/0 and 7/0 Gamakatsu circle hooks to eliminate any unnecessary fish fatalities.
Besides, it's a project of love not necessity.
I'll keep the forum posted.
  • Tonto and FULL METAL JACKET like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: surf, blaster, dilemma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users