Need advice on "renting"/trading a timeshare in Maine this summer - Camping / RV - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Need advice on "renting"/trading a timeshare in Maine this summer

timeshare maine acadia national park

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JustPractical

JustPractical

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 655 posts

Posted May 25 2015 - 01:48 PM

Looking for some advice regarding timeshares and interval international. We have a timeshare in Maine near Acadia national park. It is two unites (sepate appartments), each with a bedroom, bath, kitchen, living room, etc. and they share washer/dryer. We use one of them, and for the other we usually invite family to stay in. This year do to health issues, no family can go, so I can either join Interval international, or let the management of the resort rent the unit for the week (we get $99 for each day they rent it, but they rarely can rent it for all 7 days). I would rent it out myself and get more cash, but I am responsible for whoever stays in the place (and any possible damage they do - i.e. no pets no smoking). I have zero experience with Interval International. Since the unit appears to have value because it is a "prime week" and fixed, and the place sleeps 4, is Interval International the way to go, or is it too late to get a good deal through them? Keep in mind I would have to pay to join interval international. Any advice?
If you need more info to give advice, let me know. FYI for those who can search in Interval, the resort is in Ellsworth. Thanks!!
  • Myrcinus likes this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 spitdog

spitdog

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 1024 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted May 25 2015 - 02:06 PM

Why don't you just look for a property management co. In the area and see what percentage they want for handling the rental.
As least you wouldn't have to join anything.

#3 JustPractical

JustPractical

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 655 posts

Posted May 25 2015 - 06:17 PM

The only ones allowed to rent it out are the company that owns the property. If I rent it to someone, and they wreck the place, it's on me.

#4 Slyder

Slyder

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 966 posts
  • LocationDeer Park

Posted May 25 2015 - 06:21 PM

Join Interval and bank the weeks for a better time to use them.

#5 JustPractical

JustPractical

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 655 posts

Posted May 25 2015 - 06:31 PM

Join Interval and bank the weeks for a better time to use them.

Yes, but I was told if I did not bank them by June 1, they would not be as "valuable". I didn't really understand what was involved - I get the sooner you put it in, the more people can book it sooner, but I realyl am not clear on how easily I will be able to book something in exchange. Any experiences?

#6 MGRGPGBG

MGRGPGBG

Respected Gunowner

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 218 posts

Posted May 25 2015 - 07:08 PM

I have had very little luck with interval getting a reservation any place other than Orlando Florida. There are tens of thousand units there to be traded but if you want someplace else it is extremely hard to trade especially during school holidays. Depending on what you own they have a rating for it. The more desirable resorts have a higher rating and if yours is not close or equal you never get in. It's a tricky setup. My parents have a few units that they bought and now can't get rid of them as no one wants to buy time shares anymore. I bought a week at Atlantis Bahamas that I am trying to unload with no luck.

#7 surly

surly

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 271 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted May 25 2015 - 07:21 PM

If you join RCI they allow you to trade, sell and bank timeshares all over the world.

#8 carguy110

carguy110

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 2779 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted May 25 2015 - 07:35 PM

My girlfriend's mother has a time share along with Interval International; however, it's my girlfriend and I that get the most use out of it. The ability to choose between thousands of destinations is awesome. Also, you can save unused weeks for up to 2 years. If you want to rent out a unit to someone not on The deed, you need to pay $130 or so for a guest certificate.

I also sat through one of those timeshare promotion things. Diamond Resorts is also another exchange company you can look into.

#9 Incognito

Incognito

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 2027 posts
  • LocationSmithtown, NY

Posted May 25 2015 - 09:03 PM

What weeks are you trying to rent, what is your lead time? The second and third weeks in August are the most in demand. Early July, after the 4th, is tough.

You can rent it yourself but you have to decide if the effort is worth it.

Don't be surprised if rental agents take 30% of the rent.

Go to Tripadvisor, Airbnb and VRBO and see what rentals others are getting.

I have been renting out a condo in Greenport since 2008 with insignificant damage issues.

The easiest way to do it is by advertising on Craigslist, just watch for the scammers.

#10 JustPractical

JustPractical

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 655 posts

Posted May 25 2015 - 09:30 PM

It is one of the condos at Acadia Village Resort.
It runs from July 31 (Friday) at 4pm until the following Friday (August 7) I think checkout is 9 or 10am. It is a fixed week timeshare.
If someone here belongs to Interval, can you offer some advice on if it pays to trade it in? As MGRGPGBG pointed out, it can be hard to get reservations at another palce. This is the part I am not familiar with. If it's a "no problem as long as you book two years in advance" I'll just rent it and call it a day.

#11 Incognito

Incognito

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 2027 posts
  • LocationSmithtown, NY

Posted May 25 2015 - 10:02 PM

That is a highly desirable week.
Put an ad on Craigslist and see what hits you get as you explore your other options.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: timeshare, maine, acadia national park

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users