Can you make a cheaper M40 clone? - Page 2 - Bolt Action [Rifles] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Can you make a cheaper M40 clone?

can you make cheaper m40 clone

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 jarheadsergeant

jarheadsergeant

#1 Grade A Super Stud

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 1287 posts

Posted May 05 2015 - 10:04 PM

FYI- that top rifle is a long action as well

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Administrators
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 11497 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted May 05 2015 - 10:29 PM

The answer is no. Gun +stock + optic=1500+
That just the part now have the gun gone threw (bolt face squared chamber polished barreled actoin belt to the stock you have drop a pretty penny well exciding the 1500 you start with.

#23 Ellar

Ellar

Sipping tea and saying it's none of my business.

• Donated Member
  • 1263 posts
  • LocationLevittown

Posted May 05 2015 - 11:16 PM

Neither of those guns are M40A3s- or clones. Top gun has the incorrect stock (one knob instead of two), Both have incorrect fluted barrels. Both guns have the incorrect optical mounting platform and incorrect triggers (appear to be jewels). Barrels appear short, should be 24" from the lug, 25" overall. Neither rifle is lug slotted. Both guns have incorrect factory lugs. The Top gun has the wrong bottom metal for the stock and it isn't correct to USMC guns. Optics and rings are wrong.

Spec on the later m40A3

Rem action
Schneider contract bbl
M24 trigger from Rem
McMillan A4 USMC spec stock (only available in one screw cheek piece now)
Ross .312 lug
Ross optical mounting platform
Badger M5 bottom metal

Badger also supplies the lugs and optical platforms for the Marines. The A6 is a different stock, unsure how they are handling the scope mount.

A5s have a surefire brake and PGW UNS rail

GAP is kinda close, CH PWS is better, Dave ran the PWS before he retired

The correct guns are lug slotted for mount. The barrel is left with lathe marks on it before they blacken it.

$1500 isn't even half way there on parts dude. The barrels on the actual M24s/M40A1, A3, A5 (not the pretend guns labeled as such) are all a heavy profile similar to a Shilen 7

Those two guns in the pics are rem 700s in McMillian A4 stocks. If you know the guy, offer him $800 for the bottom stock and sell it to me for $900.

Awesome reply. I came in here hoping the thread was about an SPG, but thanks for your expertise. :)

#24 sherm66

sherm66

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 6119 posts

Posted May 06 2015 - 05:31 AM

If you join the USMC and get into the right MOS and pipeline you can get one for free.
  • NRATC53, Parashooter, PeepSight and 3 others like this

#25 Fredrick Wafflestein

Fredrick Wafflestein

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 604 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted May 06 2015 - 03:09 PM

If you join the USMC and get into the right MOS and pipeline you can get one for free.

to keep, not so much...
  • Mad Russian likes this

#26 tron4734

tron4734

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 155 posts
  • LocationCoram

Posted May 06 2015 - 05:42 PM

When dicks runs the sales on the Remington 700 varmint .308 you get a heavy matte black 26" barrel, I've sent a bolt out to a company and had the handle cut down and threaded for a badger knob, bottom metal is badger m5 pattern and the bell and carlson medalist stock looks similar and is patterned for the bottom metal you'd want to use, that is if you just want it to look the part, which is a badass look. And again if it's just for looks and you never wanna shoot more than a couple hundred yards you don't gotta spend a mint on glass, just don't buy cheap plastic Chinese stuff that rattles to bits.

Edited by tron4734, May 06 2015 - 05:44 PM.

• Fredrick Wafflestein likes this

#27 Fredrick Wafflestein

Fredrick Wafflestein

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 604 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted May 06 2015 - 06:29 PM

When dicks runs the sales on the Remington 700 varmint .308 you get a heavy matte black 26" barrel, I've sent a bolt out to a company and had the handle cut down and threaded for a badger knob, bottom metal is badger m5 pattern and the bell and carlson medalist stock looks similar and is patterned for the bottom metal you'd want to use, that is if you just want it to look the part, which is a badass look. And again if it's just for looks and you never wanna shoot more than a couple hundred yards you don't gotta spend a mint on glass, just don't buy cheap plastic Chinese stuff that rattles to bits.

Of course. I'd just buy a descent optic for it.

#28 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24776 posts

Posted June 27 2015 - 09:08 AM

to keep, not so much...

That all depends...
  • sherm66 likes this

#29 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24776 posts

Posted June 27 2015 - 09:09 AM

FYI- that top rifle is a long action as well

Originals were long action, but that was a long time ago

#30 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24776 posts

Posted June 28 2015 - 08:04 PM

There is actually a Hathcock match the end of October, a bunch of us old farts were thinking of going with period rifles...

#31 ShootItOut

ShootItOut

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 80 posts
  • LocationHuntington

Posted June 28 2015 - 08:07 PM

Very cheap option and good although bolt action is the Mosin with the Archangel stock, easy enough installation and looks sick

Attached Files

• nedbal and Harmonic like this

#32 Harmonic

Harmonic

Respected Gunowner

• Club LIF Member
  • 267 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted June 28 2015 - 09:25 PM

Thinking about buying a Mosin next. I've checked out a few at some LGSs. They seemed to be in good condition but is it mandatory to check the headspace before purchasing? Don't really know much about that.

#33 jarheadsergeant

jarheadsergeant

#1 Grade A Super Stud

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 1287 posts

Posted June 28 2015 - 09:33 PM

There is actually a Hathcock match the end of October, a bunch of us old farts were thinking of going with period rifles...

I know the guy who shot high Marine, 2nd overall- really, really, really well. While I appreciate guys getting out and shooting it, I don't see period rifles as competitive. Last group I shot there was about 1/3 MOA vertical at 300 yards. That 24 rounds. 4 sighters and the 20 rounds for record. It is a hard match to win- the. Target is way too small and the guys who belong to the club spend the weeks prior practicing. You've got to be a dialed in shooter to perform well. That said- shoot an old rifle and have a blast.
  • NRATC53 and jake11751 like this

#34 ShootItOut

ShootItOut

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 80 posts
  • LocationHuntington

Posted June 28 2015 - 11:46 PM

Thinking about buying a Mosin next. I've checked out a few at some LGSs. They seemed to be in good condition but is it mandatory to check the headspace before purchasing? Don't really know much about that.

No it is not necessary selling for $190 at classicfirearms ( i know I wish I picked like 3 up when they were 50-75$ too)

#35 Harmonic

Harmonic

Respected Gunowner

• Club LIF Member
  • 267 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted June 29 2015 - 04:31 AM

No it is not necessary selling for $190 at classicfirearms ( i know I wish I picked like 3 up when they were 50-75$ too)

Thanks! . Great deal here even at $190. Has anyone ordered from here before?

#36 ShootItOut

ShootItOut

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 80 posts
  • LocationHuntington

Posted June 30 2015 - 11:01 PM

Thanks! . Great deal here even at $190. Has anyone ordered from here before?

Yes, twice, a mosin which was in great condition and had a very low amount of cosmolinie so it was easy to change the stock and a pistol grip shotgun with a headshield which was a great price, highly recommended fast shipping

#37 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12183 posts
  • LocationRunning with the spirits of the Nesaquake & Caleb Smith

Posted June 30 2015 - 11:18 PM

OP, I notice you're into a lot of "style over substance" stuff with guns (the AK74 clone with a straight pull, so it "just looks like an AK74"), this one. I'm not knocking you, I have a lot of rifles in my collection that were customized for aesthetic reasons, but at some point you get what you pay for and you have to focus on the objective of performance. Now there is value, like some middle of the road parts and scopes, but if you want an accurate long distance shooter, the glass alone will normally cost more than the rifle. You can't skimp on some things, so you have to pick and choose components wisely, and invest the money where it goes a long way.

Perhaps try not to get so wrapped up in duplicating a look, but build a solid value platform that can perform what you're looking to get from it, then dress it up aesthetically . For instance my fully functional semi automatic Saigas that have many aesthetic AK features to make them look more "AK-ish" without compromising performance or my bolt action builds with value glass like Nikon scopes or even an SWFA fixed 42mm tactical scope, has the performance of scopes that cost over $1,000 at a fraction of the cost. Research goes a long way with these choices.

Edited by Destro, June 30 2015 - 11:19 PM.

• NRATC53, vmtcmt, Flagg888 and 3 others like this

#38 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24776 posts

Posted July 01 2015 - 06:34 AM

I know the guy who shot high Marine, 2nd overall- really, really, really well. While I appreciate guys getting out and shooting it, I don't see period rifles as competitive. We don't care. Last group I shot there was about 1/3 MOA vertical at 300 yards. That 24 rounds. 4 sighters and the 20 rounds for record. It is a hard match to win- the. Target is way too small and the guys who belong to the club spend the weeks prior practicing. You've got to be a dialed in shooter to perform well. Yes, we are quite familiar, I haven't shot my two period rifles very seriously since I did the real thing, will have to work up loads and practice a lot. That said- shoot an old rifle and have a blast.That was the whole idea

My days of crawling through the bush dragging my equipment have long since passed, this would be something to do just to give the old girls some exercise befitting their past use, how we do? Not that big of a deal
  • Parashooter likes this

#39 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24776 posts

Posted November 10 2015 - 12:24 PM

I know the guy who shot high Marine, 2nd overall- really, really, really well. While I appreciate guys getting out and shooting it, I don't see period rifles as competitive. Last group I shot there was about 1/3 MOA vertical at 300 yards. That 24 rounds. 4 sighters and the 20 rounds for record. It is a hard match to win- the. Target is way too small and the guys who belong to the club spend the weeks prior practicing. You've got to be a dialed in shooter to perform well. That said- shoot an old rifle and have a blast.

My days of crawling through the bush dragging my equipment have long since passed, this would be something to do just to give the old girls some exercise befitting their past use, how we do? Not that big of a deal

They had fun, how they scored wasn't that big a deal.My Springfield Mark 1 got some exercise, and my friend learned the frustration of using a 1920's scope

#40 bmoscato

bmoscato

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1694 posts
  • LocationMassapequa Park

Posted November 10 2015 - 01:05 PM

He's talking about a scope

The glass alone on the Schmidt and Bender is going to cost 3K or more, plus the Badger Ordnance ringers...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: can, you, make, cheaper, m40, clone

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users