Can you make a cheaper M40 clone? - Bolt Action [Rifles] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Can you make a cheaper M40 clone?

can you make cheaper m40 clone

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Fredrick Wafflestein

Fredrick Wafflestein

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 604 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted May 05 2015 - 03:28 PM

http://i41.servimg.c...20/img_6911.jpg

Is there a way to make a bolt action rifle that looks almost exactly the same as the M40 rifle in the picture below without dropping over 1,500 dollars? Is there perhaps a cheaper bolt gun that can be fitted with the same stock as in the picture?

i figured they're might be someone knowledgeable on this

Attached Files

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Paté

Paté

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 38956 posts

Posted May 05 2015 - 03:43 PM

Automatic message - This topic has been moved from Chit-Chat to Bolt Action [Rifles]

#3 E

E

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 3289 posts

Posted May 05 2015 - 03:48 PM

Buy a conversion kit for a 10/22

I only say that in half jest as looks and performance are not the same.

If your question is are there accurate bolt action rifles with stocks that don't cost 1500 then yes.
  • Destro and zx9allday like this

#4 Fredrick Wafflestein

Fredrick Wafflestein

Gun Guru

• 604 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted May 05 2015 - 03:49 PM

Buy a conversion kit for a 10/22

I only say that in half jest as looks and performance are not the same.

If your question is are there accurate bolt action rifles with stocks that don't cost 1500 then yes.

I want to know if i can buy a 7.62/.308 with that same rifle stock where i won't have to spend 2,000 dollars

#5 Mak44

Mak44

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 2387 posts

Posted May 05 2015 - 03:56 PM

Buy a Remington 700 and change out the stock to a Bell & Carlson, Choate, or McMillian, etc...

#6 Fredrick Wafflestein

Fredrick Wafflestein

Gun Guru

• 604 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted May 05 2015 - 04:03 PM

oh, i found this.

https://www.mcmillan...ical-stocks-a4/

I can buy this stock and put it with a Remington 700 spending at most about 1000-1200 dollars

#7 Mak44

Mak44

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 2387 posts

Posted May 05 2015 - 04:11 PM

Don't forget the glass. A very nice Optic will be a pretty penny. All depends on what you want to spend. Have fun.
  • BLAMMO and bmoscato like this

#8 Fredrick Wafflestein

Fredrick Wafflestein

Gun Guru

• 604 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted May 05 2015 - 04:21 PM

Don't forget the glass. A very nice glass will be a pretty penny. All depends on what you want to spend. Have fun.

I'm not too sure about glass bedding. I'm gonna be dropping a lot of money on this if I decide to buy this. Then again, I'm not even sure i want this because I've been obsessed with getting a straight pull ak 74 rifle.

#9 Mak44

Mak44

Gun Guru

• 2387 posts

Posted May 05 2015 - 04:51 PM

-

#10 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24773 posts

Posted May 05 2015 - 05:24 PM

I'm not too sure about glass bedding. I'm gonna be dropping a lot of money on this if I decide to buy this. Then again, I'm not even sure i want this because I've been obsessed with getting a straight pull ak 74 rifle.

He's talking about a scope
  • BLAMMO, Mad Russian and bmoscato like this

#11 airbrushart

airbrushart

airbrushart

• Club LIF Member
  • 5514 posts
  • Locationspace the final frontier

Posted May 05 2015 - 05:25 PM

glass has nothing to do with glass bedding but rather glass as in rifle scope, on my 308 Savage I spent 1500 on the scope alone.

#12 jarheadsergeant

jarheadsergeant

#1 Grade A Super Stud

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 1287 posts

Posted May 05 2015 - 05:25 PM

http://i41.servimg.c...20/img_6911.jpg

Is there a way to make a bolt action rifle that looks almost exactly the same as the M40 rifle in the picture below without dropping over 1,500 dollars? Is there perhaps a cheaper bolt gun that can be fitted with the same stock as in the picture?

i figured they're might be someone knowledgeable on this

Neither of those guns are M40A3s- or clones. Top gun has the incorrect stock (one knob instead of two), Both have incorrect fluted barrels. Both guns have the incorrect optical mounting platform and incorrect triggers (appear to be jewels). Barrels appear short, should be 24" from the lug, 25" overall. Neither rifle is lug slotted. Both guns have incorrect factory lugs. The Top gun has the wrong bottom metal for the stock and it isn't correct to USMC guns. Optics and rings are wrong.

Spec on the later m40A3

Rem action
Schneider contract bbl
M24 trigger from Rem
McMillan A4 USMC spec stock (only available in one screw cheek piece now)
Ross .312 lug
Ross optical mounting platform
Badger M5 bottom metal

Badger also supplies the lugs and optical platforms for the Marines. The A6 is a different stock, unsure how they are handling the scope mount.

A5s have a surefire brake and PGW UNS rail

GAP is kinda close, CH PWS is better, Dave ran the PWS before he retired

The correct guns are lug slotted for mount. The barrel is left with lathe marks on it before they blacken it.

$1500 isn't even half way there on parts dude. The barrels on the actual M24s/M40A1, A3, A5 (not the pretend guns labeled as such) are all a heavy profile similar to a Shilen 7

Those two guns in the pics are rem 700s in McMillian A4 stocks. If you know the guy, offer him $800 for the bottom stock and sell it to me for $900.

Edited by jarheadsergeant, May 05 2015 - 05:56 PM.

• O1SalsaX, Captain Will, Mad Russian and 3 others like this

#13 jarheadsergeant

jarheadsergeant

#1 Grade A Super Stud

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 1287 posts

Posted May 05 2015 - 05:31 PM

Dave is the go to guy for USMC clone rifles: http://www.chpws.com/

#14 bmoscato

bmoscato

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 1694 posts
  • LocationMassapequa Park

Posted May 05 2015 - 06:10 PM

Neither of those guns are M40A3s- or clones. Top gun has the incorrect stock (one knob instead of two), Both have incorrect fluted barrels. Both guns have the incorrect optical mounting platform and incorrect triggers (appear to be jewels). Barrels appear short, should be 24" from the lug, 25" overall. Neither rifle is lug slotted. Both guns have incorrect factory lugs. The Top gun has the wrong bottom metal for the stock and it isn't correct to USMC guns. Optics and rings are wrong.

Spec on the later m40A3

Rem action
Schneider contract bbl
M24 trigger from Rem
McMillan A4 USMC spec stock (only available in one screw cheek piece now)
Ross .312 lug
Ross optical mounting platform
Badger M5 bottom metal

Badger also supplies the lugs and optical platforms for the Marines. The A6 is a different stock, unsure how they are handling the scope mount.

A5s have a surefire brake and PGW UNS rail

GAP is kinda close, CH PWS is better, Dave ran the PWS before he retired

The correct guns are lug slotted for mount. The barrel is left with lathe marks on it before they blacken it.

$1500 isn't even half way there on parts dude. The barrels on the actual M24s/M40A1, A3, A5 (not the pretend guns labeled as such) are all a heavy profile similar to a Shilen 7

Those two guns in the pics are rem 700s in McMillian A4 stocks. If you know the guy, offer him $800 for the bottom stock and sell it to me for $900.

Don't they also use Douglas barrels, or was that just on the earlier platforms?

#15 Fredrick Wafflestein

Fredrick Wafflestein

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 604 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted May 05 2015 - 06:15 PM

Buy a Remington 700 and change out the stock to a Bell & Carlson, Choate, or McMillian, etc...

#16 Fredrick Wafflestein

Fredrick Wafflestein

Gun Guru

• 604 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted May 05 2015 - 06:15 PM

-

i'm sorry I went full retard right there

#17 jarheadsergeant

jarheadsergeant

#1 Grade A Super Stud

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 1287 posts

Posted May 05 2015 - 06:23 PM

Don't they also use Douglas barrels, or was that just on the earlier platforms?

My understanding is a long time ago. Harts been out since 96 or 97. Gary Schneider has been it for a while. He'll sell you a contract bbl if you call him.
  • bmoscato likes this

#18 jarheadsergeant

jarheadsergeant

#1 Grade A Super Stud

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 1287 posts

Posted May 05 2015 - 06:27 PM

Just noticed those guns both have oversized bolt knobs as well. That's a no go too

#19 Fredrick Wafflestein

Fredrick Wafflestein

Gun Guru

• 604 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted May 05 2015 - 06:39 PM

Just noticed those guns both have oversized bolt knobs as well. That's a no go too

well, i'm looking for something that looks very similar. doesn't have to be exact but I just wanted a rifle and action that i can fit into that stock which i actually found lol

#20 jarheadsergeant

jarheadsergeant

#1 Grade A Super Stud

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 1287 posts

Posted May 05 2015 - 07:37 PM

well, i'm looking for something that looks very similar. doesn't have to be exact but I just wanted a rifle and action that i can fit into that stock which i actually found lol

When you order that stock from McMillan they can make it fit basically any rifle. They run 6-7 months lead time. I think the USMC spec stocks are $960 ish

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: can, you, make, cheaper, m40, clone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users